Respected Contributor

Re: Self Serve Cash registers at Grocery Store

I don't mind self serve if I can pay cash. Most places want card only.

Respected Contributor

I went to our nearest WM store and they are removing all but 2 of the self checkout aisles.

There were 8 cashiers checking out customers at the registers like the old days.

This particular WM was losing so much business with self checkouts they went back to cashiers.

So happy!!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was flabbergasted this past summer when I went to a self checkout at Aldi and saw the total from whomever was there before me.  It clicked with me that they went through all the motions but never paid for their haul. 😳 I had to get someone to clear the register/scanner before I could begin.  If one person could think of it, there's no telling how many others there are. What a sad commentary on our society.  I will say, with all the beeping going on around me, and me scanning away, I'm sure I've probably missed some things here and there, but those were honest mistakes.  

One time I did the self checkout and reviewed my Walmart receipt when I got home.  I realized something wasn't on it, and it was like a $25-30 item. I went back to CS with the item a couple of days later so they could charge me.  

Respected Contributor

I do not use the self serve cash registers, but I have noticed that the stores always have at least one or two people watching customers using them due to the fact that they'll bag their items without scanning them, they could use these employees standing there to open up more registers to make the flow of customers waiting in line alot faster and do away with the self serve, just my thought.

Respected Contributor

I started using them at Target to avoid being hassled by cashiers to open a credit card. I find that I like the "quiet". Used to like it at the gas pump too, then they started running ads and promos on the screen!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to be adament about self-serve check-out but I love it now. i can check myself out, bag as I WANT TO, pay, get cash if I need some, out the door. I can do this faster than a real check-out person I think too.

But flip side, i can see how easy it could be to scan one, not scan another, scan one, not the other, out the door with "free" groceries. 

Some stores have 15-20-25 self serve checkouts. One real person walking around watching everybody is impossible to watch everybody. It just doesn't work. As well, if you have a problem scanning an item or 2 or 3, it would be, could be so easy to just slip good(s) into your bag, pay and go and you just walked out with not paying for some items. 

I will say however, somehow the rover person knows when you bought a cough syrup, something in the drug area they need to approve because all of a sudden there they are scanning approval for you. Yes this happens to me sometimes. Kind of weird actually, I don't need (parental) approval for it, don't know how the checker person knows I even bought that bottle of Mucinex for my cough!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I avoid self checkout like the plague. The other day I was in Home  Depot & the lines were long.I only had one item. The woman monitoring self check out asked me if I wanted to use it. I said only if you do it for me and she did.

Valued Contributor

A local chain of gas stations have taken out a register and replaced it with a self check out.  I was waiting behind a couple women and they kept bringing things up while one was at the check out then one of them took a couple bags of their things and walked out the door.  The other lady rang up a few more things, some how cleared the machine and walked out.  I told the clerk and he just shrugged.   

Esteemed Contributor

I hope you're all correct. I hope self-checkout is on its way out! But I don't see any signs of that here. The 2 stores where I shop most often still have oodles of self-check, but only one human checkout. I refuse to use self-check and want them gone!
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:
I think they should put employees watching the people in the clothes detergent aisle. People are pouring detergent from one giant bottle to another to fill theirs up leaving one two thirds full on the shelf.

WHAT??!  Not sure I understand - do they bring their own half full bottle to the store?  And do you mind saying what grocery chain this is?  SMH

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett