Respected Contributor

Re: Self Serve Cash registers at Grocery Store

@Ronettes i was surprised also.  When I saw they we all closed I thought wow, that is strange all of them are broken at the same time.  I mentioned it to the manager and that is when he told me the story.  I was astounded!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Franklinbell wrote:

@Ronettes i was surprised also.  When I saw they we all closed I thought wow, that is strange all of them are broken at the same time.  I mentioned it to the manager and that is when he told me the story.  I was astounded!

An employee at our local supermarket told me that a man filled up his cart with 'health and beauty aid' items, $5,000 worth.

He then ran out the door without paying and threw everything into his car, telling the security who ran after him that they can't do anything to him!

So now there are no cosmetics sold at that supermarket any longer, the items of course are small, most of them, and continually being shoplifted.

I was stunned, this is a new world of 'privileged' people.

Respected Contributor

@Ronettes he must be related to the person that stole all the otc eyeproducts at my local walgreens.  All drops are under lock and key for that very reason. So now they have to call a sales associate to come an help you.  It was this or to stop selling drops.  Good grief!  Can a girl just get a cure for itchy eyes!!  The pharmacist told me that they get yelled at because people expect them to provide assistance and they don't have the man power for that!

People these days....

Valued Contributor

So many items are locked up at our local Walmart, and finding an employee to open the case is one thing, finding an employee who speaks English there is another problem! Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

@Ronettes Its a strange world we are living in!

Honored Contributor

A local Target recently closed self-checkout because of the level of theft.

This puzzles me .... just how stupid does someone have to be to fake the checkout process when there are cameras all around you, and video to PROVE you stole the items if it goes to court?

What am I missing here?  LOL  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Security is too busy watching folks with guns to worry about shoplifters...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

When first heard of self-c-out............ thought......how dumb can grocery stores be?

Not ringing up 'some' items is just  too tempting....

Esteemed Contributor

When I worked part time at Walmart the theft rate was very high. People just walk out the door and think nothing about it. If you watch the news, they show people walking out of stores with stolen goods all the time. It is called smash and grab..They showed a group running out of Nordstrom with arm loads of clothing and handbags. Who knows if they were caught and charged. This world has changed and not in a positive manner. It is the honest people that pay the price.

I think they thought self checkout would cut operating costs but instead it has costs them dearly. People have changed.

Honored Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:
I think they should put employees watching the people in the clothes detergent aisle. People are pouring detergent from one giant bottle to another to fill theirs up leaving one two thirds full on the shelf.

Sounds like my former neighbor (now deceased.) She carried funnels in her purse and would top off anything liquid she bought using stuff from another bottle. She would say, "I'm paying for a full bottle and I'm going to get a full bottle." Store managers would point out that she was paying for a certain number of ounces, not a full bottle, but they didn't deter her. 

She also never bought a plant she wanted. She kept a small pair of shears and a plastic bag with damp paper toweling in it in her purse. If she saw a plant she wanted, she'd just take a cutting or cuttings from it, wrap them in the paper towel, put them back into the plastic bag, and root them when she got home. Her plants had interesting names that told you where she got them. There was her Wanamaker bush grown from cuttings taken from a bush at a Wanamaker store. Nearly every plant in her yard came from a cutting she stole from someone else's plant and carried the name of where she got it. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!