Honored Contributor

Re: Self Driving Cars. No, just no.

If there is so much distracted driving now with texting and phone calls, having to count on anyone being alert and in control in case they need to take over is just not going to happen!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't use cruise control so I doubt I would be happy with a car that drives itself. However if I can be convinced it would be safe I would not hesitate to test drive.

These days the drivers on the road might just need something safer.  1 texting    2  speeding and darting one lane to another  3 being rude and just owning the road no matter what.  THAT IS SCARY TOO.  

Esteemed Contributor

Not right now....but I might look at it differently in 10 years

Honored Contributor

I just don't think the technology is good enough yet.

Honored Contributor

it may work in many years down the road (LOL) but this type of system has be perfected quite a bit.  

The car companies are in such a hurry to get these cars on the road, they are cutting corners and I believe that is why the accidents happen.

Trusted Contributor

1) Mindy. I agree with you: NO.

2) Maybe in 10+ years when they've perfected it.....maybe.

3) but not likely in my lifetime and I won't miss it at all

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I posted somewhere else that the one that worries me the most is the new auto that has only one pedal for accelerating, decelerating, and braking.  One pedal total for all three. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

It's coming, but I'm not going to see it when it becomes the norm. If I called for a cab and a vehicle shows up with no driver, I'm not getting into it, My Grandchildren will have to deal with it and they may just accept it.

There is a person sitting in the drivers seat.

Respected Contributor

As someone who has limited my experiences and travel due to having hesitation to driving to unfamiliar destinations, I would very much like to have a self driving car.  We have no public transportation where I live.  There are so many places I would like to visit but don't because I am uncomfortable almost panicky to drive.  Yes, I know I can use GPS, but that's not my issue.  It is dealing with the fast pace of today's driving, having to make quick decisions for lane changes, missing exits.  This is not due to "old age".  I've been this way since I was in my 30s.

I am not foolish enough to let the vehicle have complete control, but it probably get me to my destinations safer than I would.