Esteemed Contributor

Re: Self Checkout - Yea or Nay?

No one bags groceries anymore.  The cashiers stand there watching the customers bag.  So annoying.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do both.  If a few things, I'd rather do it myself and get out of there.  Big orders, I let them check it out for me.  Even our self service check out has a person near by in case there are problems.  

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I will do it out of necessity at certain stores or supermarkets, and not by choice because there seem to be more self check-out lanes available than there are regular check-out lanes available.

So, we'll end up using the self check-out lanes.

One thing that I do like about using them is that we can bag things in a manner for ourselves, where it is then easier for us to carry things.

I have noticed that when others end up doing it, items are bagged much heavier and we'll also have fragile items put in with heavier items so it has gotten to where we don't mind bagging things ourselves. 

Esteemed Contributor

Nay.   I'd much rather check out with a real, live person rather than a machine.  If the store gave me a huge discount for using self-check, I might use it.  Otherwise, I'd rather have a store checker and bagger do all the work.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I was very resistant to it. I do use it at times but it depends on a number of things.  If by some miracle there are checkout people who are not busy, I will go to them.  If they are all busy, I will do self check-out. I find this usually works well if I don't have produce and things of this nature.

I read an article on line the other day which says that most all fast food places are going to self checkout.  I know McDonalds has these things and I went in one day to get food and when I saw these, I just turned around and walked out!  Also, I read that many restaurants are going to these kind of things where you order at these machines at your table, ask for additional service and also pay.  Things are getting so much more technical all the time.  More complicanted I think!

I, for one, don't use a smart phone and I don't want to use a credit card for paying for fast food, etc.  It seems like they want to force you into what they want you to do!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I use it for a small order ... for a larger order I use a checker. I would say "yea" to self check for that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What's the big deal about bagging your own groceries?

Y'all have two arms don't you?

DH bags and we always receive a "thank-you" by the cashier and/or another bagger.

And why on earth do people think that prices should go down because they had to scan and bag themselves???

Hand-wringing over jobs-it is what it is; y'all pump your own gas, use ATM's (although those seem to becoming dinosaurs), shop online, bank online, but have angst over your groceries? 

Lack of check-out lines has been an issue long before self-check showed up.

If you don't like them, don't use them.  They are not causing you any harm.

But keep in mind-all this automation has been around for a long time and is going to continue to expand.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

ITA.

Change is good.

The responses to resistance is telling.

If a Venn Diagram was utilized, we would probably see those who

complain of someone/youth of being self-important/entitled

mirror many to those who proclaim 'unless someone pays me'.

Respected Contributor

NOOOOO!  If I have to do work that an employee does, I want a discount at least!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

At a grocery it's self check-out for me.  I can't remember the last time I went through a regular check out line.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey