Esteemed Contributor

Re: Self Checkout - Yea or Nay?

Love it at Wegmans, because they are an excellent store in general and are tuned in to their customers.

Hate it at Giant because in general they are a mediocre store.  They seem to care little about me.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Prefer to checkout on my own so I don't have to wait or hear a sales clerk complain abt someting to other customers or  talk social stuff  to customers she knows & holds up the line by doing so. I want to bag my own items in my own  bags  so that I can keep frozen items together or with  other persihible food items .  I don't like glass jars slamming into one another- had some Pannera salad dsg  bottle get cracked by a clerk doing this & it went all over  or seals broken off  boxes of  prepared broth.

Agree!  Don't know why baggers will pull every last glass jar from the order and bag them all together.  Even when I have placed them on the belt, one glass jar/bottle and a ton of other *soft* packaged items, so that's how they'll be bagged.  But no, the checker will usually pull all the glass and bag them together.  Clink Clank, Crack!!!

Esteemed Contributor

No....tried it once several years ago and was far more hassle than standing in line for a longer amount of time.  Besides, I do my main grocery/toiletries shopping once a month and with a full cart, I would never attempt it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

My DH loves it, uses it at Wegmans and at Super Walmart. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom 

RE: Your message "What a sad, sad life some lead..."

No one else has felt the need to make snarky comments.  Please stick to the subject and if you can't respond nicely to participants please refrain from responding at all so the thread is not deleted for being argumentative.  There is a good conversation going here that represents both sides well. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I am 79+.  I love the self-serve kiosks at McDonald's.  I order and pay quick and easy, no waiting on a line..  I use the self-checkouts at the supermarkets for small amounts of items.  Again, I don't have to wait on a line.  Frankly, I'd use them for larger amounts of items if they were designed better.

Respected Contributor

@dex  When stores have to start paying $15/hour or more for check-out people, you'll begin to pay higher prices for your purchases, OR you'll have to use the sef-service lines. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

(Not scanning items)

"..Besides it should let you know if it did not scan..."

Uh dude....there's a loud audible BOOOP when something

is scanned...in the self-checkout AND  traditional.

If you don't hear it, you're stealing it.

Grocery Store 101.

@sidsmom   Plus the bags are on a weighted platform.  If you do not scan and place an item in a bag, the platform registers the difference in weight and sets off a red warning light for an assistant and/or the robovoice will tell you to please scan your item.

DIdn't we just go though all of this a few weeks ago???  Woman Wink

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

(Not scanning items)

"..Besides it should let you know if it did not scan..."

Uh dude....there's a loud audible BOOOP when something

is scanned...in the self-checkout AND  traditional.

If you don't hear it, you're stealing it.

Grocery Store 101.

@sidsmom   Plus the bags are on a weighted platform.  If you do not scan and place an item in a bag, the platform registers the difference in weight and sets off a red warning light for an assistant and/or the robovoice will tell you to please scan your item.

DIdn't we just go though all of this a few weeks ago???  Woman Wink

My husband, even with hearing aids, does not reliably hear the beeps and robovoice.  

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I rarely use it. I prefer the old fashioned way.

I only use it when I have 10 or less.  I prefer letting cashier do it.  I want them to keep their jobsSmiley Happy