Honored Contributor

Re: Self Checkout - Yea or Nay?

@Tinkrbl44 

What store has armed guards at self checkout? I have never seen that any place? Besides I think the people that are stealing are not checking out period.

I know when people are stealing at Wal-Mart. They come in there in long coats when the weather is nice so you don't need a coat. Kind of obvious if you ask me.

Honored Contributor

No, I do not do this. I tried it twice I think but I had problems with the scans both times. Took me longer to check out this way than a real person.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

(Not scanning items)

"..Besides it should let you know if it did not scan..."

Uh dude....there's a loud audible BOOOP when something

is scanned...in the self-checkout AND  traditional.

If you don't hear it, you're stealing it.

Grocery Store 101.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like it, once we had a cart full of stuff and NO checkers at the small wal mart in town. If one has a couple things its one thing, if you have a several items, its something else.

It doesn't seem to matter what we think though, because the Kroger in town is now just as bad as the wal mart. It seems all these stores have re done the check out area and made many, many self checkouts and only have a few folks working, checking people out.

Prices haven't gone down any. And I am worried that some folks may be out of work because of this. I know Kroger use to employ some special needs folks to bag groceries and I didn't see them in there last time I was there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

(Not scanning items)

"..Besides it should let you know if it did not scan..."

Uh dude....there's a loud audible BOOOP when something

is scanned...in the self-checkout AND  traditional.

If you don't hear it, you're stealing it.

Grocery Store 101.

@sidsmom 

Not true at Wal-Mart or not at least with their older self-checkout registers. I spent between $300-$400 & used self-checkout. When I started to walk out the door it made a loud sound. It did not make any sound while scanning. Their stupid register kept saying put it in the bagging area??? They have registers with cameras now. They work a lot better. I have not had any problems with something not scanning using them.

Even when it goes off when you go out the door people just keep walking & nobody checks anything most of the time. The person at the door that's suppose to do that is not always where they are suppose to be.

I guess sometimes now they hassle you wanting your receipt so they can check every item in your cart against your receipt. If I just spent $300-$400 I'm not waiting for a slow employee to go thru all my groceries in my cart. They can give me a refund & put the krap back up. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

What a sad, sad life some lead...

Honored Contributor

I prefer self checkout so that I can hear the prices of the items as I scan them.

Lots of times, I'm still loading the belt (the filthy belt) and the clerk is ringing items up and I can't see or hear what I'm being charged.  There are quite often mistakes in pricing and I'm one to catch them.

Then there's the belt. People lay chicken and leaky milk cartons on the belt.  I know that the checkers will clean them off when they have a *lull* in their line.  That's not good enough for me.  I don't want to put my little package of organic blackberries down on a contaminated belt.

Also, I want to bag my items a certain way.  Many times I'm picking up groceries for my son or someone else and it's easier for me to bag them as I want them.  Checkers will just keep throwing things down the counter as they ring them up and it's just harder.

And I hate when they start ringing up the next person in line while I'm still trying to bag my items (as I want them bagged).  

The only time I go thru the regular lines is if I have to buy gift cards, can't purchase those in self checkout.

There's plenty of other work a checker can do within the store, they don't have to be at a line to keep busy and pull in a paycheck.

Valued Contributor

@rms1954 

I have the same issue when trying to use self check out at my grocery store. For example: I'm purchasing a 12 pack of diet cokes. Their machine says "place item in bag". The 12 pack of cans won't fit, obviously. So I push the bag aside and set the 12 pack of cans down. Again I get the "place item in bag". So I remove the bag and set the cans down in their spot.

And then the machine locks up and I have to wait for assistance from a salesperson.

I think if they would do something about upgrading or improving the self check out equipment I would try it again.

(or if I ever stop buying a 12 pack of diet cokes each weekend lol)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

Prefer to checkout on my own so I don't have to wait or hear a sales clerk complain abt someting to other customers or  talk social stuff  to customers she knows & holds up the line by doing so. I want to bag my own items in my own  bags  so that I can keep frozen items together or with  other persihible food items .  I don't like glass jars slamming into one another- had some Pannera salad dsg  bottle get cracked by a clerk doing this & it went all over  or seals broken off  boxes of  prepared broth.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I prefer self checkout so that I can hear the prices of the items as I scan them.

Lots of times, I'm still loading the belt (the filthy belt) and the clerk is ringing items up and I can't see or hear what I'm being charged.  There are quite often mistakes in pricing and I'm one to catch them.

Then there's the belt. People lay chicken and leaky milk cartons on the belt.  I know that the checkers will clean them off when they have a *lull* in their line.  That's not good enough for me.  I don't want to put my little package of organic blackberries down on a contaminated belt.

Also, I want to bag my items a certain way.  Many times I'm picking up groceries for my son or someone else and it's easier for me to bag them as I want them.  Checkers will just keep throwing things down the counter as they ring them up and it's just harder.

And I hate when they start ringing up the next person in line while I'm still trying to bag my items (as I want them bagged).  

The only time I go thru the regular lines is if I have to buy gift cards, can't purchase those in self checkout.

There's plenty of other work a checker can do within the store, they don't have to be at a line to keep busy and pull in a paycheck.

A friend who works at Wal-Mart told me that all hourly employees are expected to be proficient in stocking shelves, answering customer inquiries, and operating a cash register.  They are expected to step in to perform whichever job function is most urgent at the time.