Esteemed Contributor

Re: Self Checkout - Yea or Nay?

@AngelPuppy1 Olive Garden uses something like this.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

What's the big deal about bagging your own groceries?

Y'all have two arms don't you?

DH bags and we always receive a "thank-you" by the cashier and/or another bagger.

And why on earth do people think that prices should go down because they had to scan and bag themselves???

Hand-wringing over jobs-it is what it is; y'all pump your own gas, use ATM's (although those seem to becoming dinosaurs), shop online, bank online, but have angst over your groceries? 

Lack of check-out lines has been an issue long before self-check showed up.

If you don't like them, don't use them.  They are not causing you any harm.

But keep in mind-all this automation has been around for a long time and is going to continue to expand.

Why should the cashier stand there doing nothing while the customer bags?  How lazy.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

DH bags and we always receive a "thank-you" by the cashier and/or another bagger.

And why on earth do people think that prices should go down because they had to scan and bag themselves???

Hand-wringing over jobs-it is what it is; y'all pump your own gas, use ATM's (although those seem to becoming dinosaurs), shop online, bank online, but have angst over your groceries? 

But keep in mind-all this automation has been around for a long time and is going to continue to expand.

Why should the cashier stand there doing nothing while the customer bags?  How lazy.

@Snoopp   There is no "cashier" at the self check.  Hence the term "self check". 

I don't get your point.  If there was a "cashier" at self check then it wouldn't be self check.

There is a person to help if somthing doesn't work.

So who is being lazy? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Snoopp @Cakers3  Everyone in our store bags their own. We do it as the cashier is checking each item through. When she is done, we are done bagging at almost the same time. If not, she helps. Then pay and go as next person wants to get started. No one ever stands around, the person buying or the cashier.

No self checkout in our store either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Snoopp @Cakers3  Everyone in our store bags their own. We do it as the cashier is checking each item through. When she is done, we are done bagging at almost the same time. If not, she helps. Then pay and go as next person wants to get started. No one ever stands around, the person buying or the cashier.

No self checkout in our store either.

@proudlyfromNJ   Yes, DH bags our groceries the same way.  There is no self check at our food market, either.

For household items at the other market, they are packed with cashiers and we do use the self check for the few items we buy, most times.  Sometimes the express check out has the usual "didn't see the sign" people with a full cart. 

I think she thinks that if you are at the self check there is still a cashier who stands there and does nothing.  I only see a person to assist if there is a problem.

Why would there be a self-check and then a cashier to bag????  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  Stores such as Wal Mart, Home Depot and others have an overseer so to speak who stands among the self check out lines to help and to watch that items do indeed get scanned.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Cakers3  Stores such as Wal Mart, Home Depot and others have an overseer so to speak who stands among the self check out lines to help and to watch that items do indeed get scanned.

@JaneMarple   I get that but she was calling cashiers lazy for not bagging. 

Another poster crying over having to unload her own cart. 

Yes, the self check at Wally World and Home Depot-we've seen them but they just make sure everything is going ok.  I've never seen them bag.  They walk around each station to make sure all is going well and I would assume watching for theft.

All this existential angst over self serve stations.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

In response to those of you who suggest scanning your groceries is taking a job from someone...

Do you think perhaps your groceries cost less when you are inconvenienced for a whole two minutes scanning yourself? I live in an area of the country where groceries are very expensive. If scanning myself (which I prefer) saves a bit, I'll take it.

I haven't noticed groceries being less expensive since they offered self check-out.  At least not in my neck of the woods.  The price is the same if you check out yourself or have an employee check you out, isn't it?

If they didn't have so many self check out registers, wouldn't they need to hire more employees?  Since the customers do it themselves, they don't need to hire as many people so it IS taking jobs away.   

I guess I'm just remembering the good ole days when the checker would unload your cart, ring them up, and bag your groceries and then another employee would help you take them out to your car!  Imagine!

But how stupid I am to think that I find it more work and hassle on my part to unload, scan, and bag my own groceries!  Shame on me!

Super Contributor

YEA SELF CHECK...
Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 Olive Garden uses something like this.

@Snoopp 

Haven't been there in probably a year.  I like to go out to eat to get waited on -- not to have to do everything myself!  I can do that at home!!! I don't mind self check-out in stores but restaurants? No! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin