Respected Contributor

Re: Self Checkout - Yea or Nay?

l see a lot of remarks that by self-checking we are taking jobs away from people who need them.  I see the point, however, it seems that from the long lines that they were never hired to begin with. 

If I have just a few things and the line is moving, I will self-scan.  Most self-scan lines I see do have a limit of items though.  Also, if I am buying something that I expect to need extra attention, i.e. liquor (where an actual human is required to key in something special), or have a large order, I must cool my heels in the longer, slower attended lines. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nay.  When they pay me to check myself out, I'll do it.  (Really, I don't do it because they're taking jobs away from people.)

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

Nay.  When they pay me to check myself out, I'll do it.  (Really, I don't do it because they're taking jobs away someone's job.)

I agree.

Honored Contributor

I never use them.  They're a huge pain in the neck, IMO

Esteemed Contributor

My regular grocery store is a family owned regional chain which doesn't offer self check-out and that's fine with me because there's never a very long wait at the registers.  Always enough cashiers working to move things along.

However, I LOVE having the self-check option at Walmart.  Before self-check was available I avoided WM because of the looooon lines at the registers and the idiots who did things like hold up a line while they went back into the store for something.  Or any number of other things that made the wait in line take forever.  Now, I can just walk up to a self check station and do it myself.  There's almost never a wait because there are lots of stations and a guess a lot of people aren't interested in doing it themselves.  So thank you to everyone who doesn't use the self check-out.  I bless you every time I breeze out of Walmart in a jiffy.

Oh, and I LOOK at the screen as I scan items, so if something didn't scan I'd see it immediately.  Very easy.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I prefer self-checkout. I'm older too but it gives me some good exercise. Most people bagging groceries don't have a clue. I can check my self out faster & sack up my groceries how I want them. It makes it easier to put them up when I get home.

I buy $300-$400 worth of groceries to stock up. After that I order online & pick up but I do the large haul myself when I need to stock up on stuff I use often. I have a large list going now. Next week after it stops raining I can stock up before it gets really cold.

@Havarti 

I have checked out at Wal-Mart where an item did not scan & it went off at the door. LOL!!! They could see with my almost $400 worth of grocereis I was not trying to steal the 1 item that did not scan. Besides it should let you know if it did not scan.

When I buy more than 1 of the same item I use 1 of them to scan all the same product.

The lady in the front watching all the self-checkouts told me I had to scan each one. I told her to mind her own business that I was not stupid & understand why they want each item scanned.

They need each item scanned for inventory. If it's the same item you should be able to scan 1 of them for all of them. It's the same product code number & won't mess up the inventory but she could not understand that. She kept yelling at me telling me not to ring it up like that. I finally yelled at her & told her to get lost. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I prefer self-checkout. I'm older too but it gives me some good exercise. Most people bagging groceries don't have a clue. I can check my self out faster & sack up my groceries how I want them. It makes it easier to put them up when I get home.

I buy $300-$400 worth of groceries to stock up. After that I order online & pick up but I do the large haul myself when I need to stock up on stuff I use often. I have a large list going now. Next week after it stops raining I can stock up before it gets really cold.

@Havarti 

I have checked out at Wal-Mart where an item did not scan & it went off at the door. LOL!!! They could see with my almost $400 worth of grocereis I was not trying to steal the 1 item that did not scan. Besides it should let you know if it did not scan.

When I buy more than 1 of the same item I use 1 of them to scan all the same product.

The lady in the front watching all the self-checkouts told me I had to scan each one. I told her to mind her own business that I was not stupid & understand why they want each item scanned.

They need each item scanned for inventory. If it's the same item you should be able to scan 1 of them for all of them. It's the same product code number & won't mess up the inventory but she could not understand that. She kept yelling at me telling me not to ring it up like that. I finally yelled at her & told her to get lost. LOL!!!

What's she going to do? Write you up? lol!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I place my order online & pick it up...love that service & it's  free on Wednesdays.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:
What are your thoughts, preferences or experiences with self checkout in stores?

I am older and still prefer a checkout person ring up my sale.  It seems many of the younger people do prefer self checkout.  I do have to admit I was unhappy years ago when the trend changed to "bag your own" groceries, and "pump your own" gas, etc. and now I actually prefer it!  I pack groceries exactly how I will unload and store them and so things don't get crushed in transport...it is an art & a science mixed with personal preferences.  Occasionally someone at the store will offer to bag and I now prefer to do it myself.  So, I guess I will be forced to adjust to self checkout eventually and maybe someday I will prefer that too.  

I think my greatest concern is that I may miss something and then be stopped for stealing.  I know...that probably seems odd to many but I saw a woman on Live PD get arrested for theft at a Walmart.  She swore she scanned everything in self checkout but...not everything actually scanned.  Who knows if she did or didn't (I know, they all lie on Live PD) but it sure made me think one little error could leave you with a record for the rest of your life. For me, better an employee makes the mistake and I go home without an arrest record.  It may seem silly to many but it is real to me.

What are your thoughts, preferences, experiences regarding self checkout?

@Havarti 

Call me old fashioned, but I still believe that stores should strive to provide GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.    I don't self checkout ever ... and make no apologies for it.

If you don't want to self check out, insist to the manager that more cashiers be available.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  (What's next, are they going to ask us to help unload their trucks? Sheesh.) 

One thing disturbs me about the potential for stealing ......  at two local retailers here, I see security guards standing by the self checkout areas .... and they are ARMED.   What are their orders ... to shoot anyone who cheats at checkout?  Yikes!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  "Put down the chicken wings and nobody gets hurt."