Honored Contributor

Re: Selena Gomez Reveals She Has Lupus

SLE Lupus is a serious auto-immune disease that can be life-threatening.  It never goes away and it can kill.  She will have ups and downs all of her life.

It's important that we find better treatment and a cure so that our young people don't have to go through this.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

That's sad news and scary for her.  I wish her and all a cure.  I don't know too much about it.  I remember a manager was diagnosed with it about 20 years ago.  I no longer work for the company, but just saw her in an Ulta hundreds of miles from where I now live.  Talk about a small world!  She's doing well. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

49er football player A. Brooks will not be playing in Sunday's game.  He is flying home to attend the funeral of his 40 year old sister who died of lupus.

My sympathy to the family. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not joining the pity party.  I think she's a very fortunate young woman.  A lot of people have autoimmune diseases and we do what we gotta do and move on with our lives.  Selena is fortunate that she's living in a time where Lupus can be managed and managed quite well.  She's not dependant on health insurance payments and authorizations.  She had chemotherapy, her disease is in remission and while there can be future flare ups, she will be medically managed.  Her story isn't a sad story, it's actually a hopeful story.  It shows us how far medical science has come with this disease and it should be a source of hope for anyone going through treatment now.  I just wonder why she's opening up about it now, at this late date.  Does she have an album out?  A movie? 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm not joining the pity party.  I think she's a very fortunate young woman.  A lot of people have autoimmune diseases and we do what we gotta do and move on with our lives.  Selena is fortunate that she's living in a time where Lupus can be managed and managed quite well.  She's not dependant on health insurance payments and authorizations.  She had chemotherapy, her disease is in remission and while there can be future flare ups, she will be medically managed.  Her story isn't a sad story, it's actually a hopeful story.  It shows us how far medical science has come with this disease and it should be a source of hope for anyone going through treatment now.  I just wonder why she's opening up about it now, at this late date.  Does she have an album out?  A movie? 

Uh, no.  Lupus cannot easily be managed, and it can and does kill, as reported in a post above.

Lupus does not go into remission, that term is wrongly used to mean when there is no active flare-up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lupus SLE can attack any part of the body.  Attacks on the heart, lungs or kidneys are what kills most often.  Mariah Carey's husband Nick Cannon almost died of lupus attacking his kidneys.

Lupus causes chronic exhaustion and unknown fevers. 

No cold is just a cold, it is usually debilitating and can easily turn to pneumonia.  The flu can be devastating.

Joint pain hits often, the kind where walking or getting out of bed is painful, as is the use of one's hands.

Migraines are often part of the profile, as is asthma.

Sorry, but Crystaltree is just wrong.  It is a life-changing and sometimes life-ending disease.  Childbirth alone can kill, and pregnancy is high risk.

Honored Contributor

My mom was diagnosed back in the 60's when she was only 21 years old.  She had so many bad years and during my third grade year was at the Mayo Clinic for two months.  That is a long way from Texas and three small children with no husband.

Mom never won her battle with Lupus but passed on in 2013 to lung cancer.

I feel for Selena since my entire life was having Lupus a daily part of it since I was only three years old when she first got sick.  Shortly after the Lupus she was diagnosed with Nephritis.  Some years Mom was able to hold a job and other years she had to stay home for long periods.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

My mom was diagnosed back in the 60's when she was only 21 years old.  She had so many bad years and during my third grade year was at the Mayo Clinic for two months.  That is a long way from Texas and three small children with no husband.

Mom never won her battle with Lupus but passed on in 2013 to lung cancer.

I feel for Selena since my entire life was having Lupus a daily part of it since I was only three years old when she first got sick.  Shortly after the Lupus she was diagnosed with Nephritis.  Some years Mom was able to hold a job and other years she had to stay home for long periods.

becky, thank you for letting us know about your mom, I am so sorry to read how bad it was for her and for her entire family.  It's very difficult to have someone you love suffer from a chronic illness like lupus.

Lupus nephritis is frightening, those who have lupus live in fear of it because it is so dangerous.

Another of our Chat posters also lost a parent to lupus, her dad.

There was no new drug to treat lupus for 50 years.  That's how bad it's been, and the new one they have now is not for everyone and is used only when it's incredibly serious.  Some patients are unable to tolerate the 50 year old drug which was really developed for malaria, so there is nothing for them.

What has saved some lives is modern treatment available for such attacks as those on the heart, lungs and kidneys, but the attacks are still suffered and not always won.