Super Contributor

Re: Selena Gomez Fighting Lupus

I'm sorry for those of you with Lupus.  My mom had Lupus and got it in her 20's.  She was the youngest they had seen with the disease in Arkansas and so she was studied by doctors. 

It's a devastating disease for the person and their family.  My mom was in the hospital several times -once in a coma because her potassium/sodium was out of balance due to all the drugs.

My mom died 11 years ago -7 days before Christmas.  Only one of my children got to meet her.

I wish they would find a cure instead of just a treatment.  Thinking of you all.

Honored Contributor

@Disneylandfan wrote:

I'm sorry for those of you with Lupus.  My mom had Lupus and got it in her 20's.  She was the youngest they had seen with the disease in Arkansas and so she was studied by doctors. 

It's a devastating disease for the person and their family.  My mom was in the hospital several times -once in a coma because her potassium/sodium was out of balance due to all the drugs.

My mom died 11 years ago -7 days before Christmas.  Only one of my children got to meet her.

I wish they would find a cure instead of just a treatment.  Thinking of you all.

Hi @Disneylandfan

I'm so sorry your mother had to suffer.  I know it's hard on the family also, not being able to fix it, so to speak.

Thank you for your post here Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Disneylandfan wrote:

Hi @Disneylandfan

I'm so sorry your mother had to suffer.  I know it's hard on the family also, not being able to fix it, so to speak.

Thank you for your post here Smiley Happy

I am sorry for everyone that has to deal with this horrific illness. I have seen up close and personal a friend that has been living with lupus for more than thirty years. She has flares and she ends up in the hospital with a long recovery. She tried very hard to become pregnant and ended up losing the baby in her 6th month. She adopted but even raising her child was very difficult for her due to all the hospitalizations. I just hope and pray that a cure is found. People do not realize just how difficult it is to live with this illness. More public awareness is needed and I give a lot of credit to Selena for talking about lupus and bringing it to the forefront.

Noel, I hope that you are feeling better and that your recovery is going smoothly. You are a trooper and a wonderful advocate for all those suffering from this wretched illness.......

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Trinity11 !

I wasn't diagnosed with lupus until after my one pregnancy.  You're right, it was unbelievably difficult, carrying her and the birth.  It hit my kidneys, I was high risk and hospitalized much of the time, then told never to have another pregnancy, I wouldn't live through it.

I am doing better after this last hospitalization, thanks for checking on me Smiley Happy 

How are you doing, Trinity?  I think about you often, I hope your doctor has given you encouraging news.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11

Sorry, I hit Post before I finished.

Please give my best to your friend.  She's lucky she has an understanding friend like you, they are hard to find. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Thank you @Trinity11 !

I wasn't diagnosed with lupus until after my one pregnancy.  You're right, it was unbelievably difficult, carrying her and the birth.  It hit my kidneys, I was high risk and hospitalized much of the time, then told never to have another pregnancy, I wouldn't live through it.

I am doing better after this last hospitalization, thanks for checking on me Smiley Happy 

How are you doing, Trinity?  I think about you often, I hope your doctor has given you encouraging news.

Noel, I am glad to read that you are doing better.

I finally got a second opinion yesterday and the new doctor gave me a completely different opinion. It was very favorable and he said that I am healing well and doing much better. He reduced a lot of the medications and I have so much more energy today. So everything is looking up and I am so happy that I got the second opinion and met a doctor who is connected to a far better hospital and has a postive attitude.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Nothing better than a positive doctor!  Especially when we're feeling good and alive and well.  I steer away from certain 'peeps' who seem to be looking for problems.  ('Let's check for this and that', etc.)  I know, they're trying to catch things early and all.  Well, let's wish and hope that we all will have good test results, and that we are feeling exceptionally well, no matter which medical problems that we might have or don't have. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I finally got a second opinion yesterday and the new doctor gave me a completely different opinion. It was very favorable and he said that I am healing well and doing much better. He reduced a lot of the medications and I have so much more energy today. So everything is looking up and I am so happy that I got the second opinion and met a doctor who is connected to a far better hospital and has a postive attitude.Woman Happy

@Trinity11

You've made my day!  I am so happy for you!!!

And you know it has to be true now that you are feeling better and have more energy.  OMG, I know how you feel, they told me I might have damage, too, and I had to have THREE echocardiograms spread out over weeks.  Whatever they thought they saw wasn't there, and apparently the heart can correct itself over that period of time.  Maybe that's what happened with you, too.

I love it that you have a new doctor and connection to a better hospital Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

You've made my day!  I am so happy for you!!!

And you know it has to be true now that you are feeling better and have more energy.  OMG, I know how you feel, they told me I might have damage, too, and I had to have THREE echocardiograms spread out over weeks.  Whatever they thought they saw wasn't there, and apparently the heart can correct itself over that period of time.  Maybe that's what happened with you, too.

I love it that you have a new doctor and connection to a better hospital Smiley Happy

Noel, I think the meds really do help and after you posted about taking Lipitor, I decided I would give it a try. I am on a low dose but I think with the fish oil and pomegranate juice, it is really helping.....that and a beta blocker, plavix, aspirin and calan. They all work together to heal. I do have a lot of damage unfortunately but he thinks the heart failure is just not there for him to see. I have so much more energy than before the heart attack and my EKG has changed too and the arrythmia is far less. Words cannot express how grateful I am for the new diagnosis. I plan on living a lot longer and have a lot more to do on this earth...Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11

I'm so glad Smiley Happy