Trusted Contributor

Re: Seeing your adult child through someone else's eyes....

@minkbunny 

Thanks for sharing, that is truly a wonderful thing!!

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Wonderful comments here!

Thank your son for his service.

The best of health, good luck, and safety to him and all of his and your family, friends, co-workers, pets.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

He sounds like a wonderful man. I can see why you are so proud of him.

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny 

Congrats to you & your son🎉.  May he have a wonderful retirement ahead -- we are retired from the State corrections department.  We both enjoyed retiring in our 40s & never looked back.

I am always full of pride when I see my son a cancer survivor go to Children's hospitals and just visit with these "special" kids going thru their treatments.  These kids could teach us adults a few things especially to find "joy" everyday & smile❤️

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, they consider themselves "family" because, in a sense, they are.  They probably spend as much time together on the job than they spend with their real families.  In a sense they ARE family.

But, retired at age 51?  And "fishing at the lake"?  He could have another 25-30 years of life before he passes on.  Is he planning to spend those years "fishing at the lake"?  What a waste of time.  What a waste of the knowledge and skills he acquired over his work life, that he could transfer to today's youngsters.

Respected Contributor

Seeing your adult child through someone else's eyes....

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your kind words.

@Cats3000   My son has lived a life of service since he was 17 and has led many along the way by example.  He will continue to do so, I am sure.  While he spent his first day of retirement fishing, he probably will not spend every day at the lake.  He will probably continue to spend most of his spare time with his grandkids at their school and church events, ballgames, dance recitals, often discussing life at the picnic table or yes, fishing at the family pond.  They will see a good, honest, moral, hard working man teach them the value of patience, the importance of persistence, that if today is not a good day tomorrow will probably be better, and helping them appreciate and be grateful for the beauty God has bestowed on us all. Fishing is not a waste of time at all.

What his future holds is unknown but I am very grateful to be a law enforcement mother who has a son who did get to retire to his fishing lake, tragically some do not.   

Hopefully, as you say, he will have decades before him.  But, perhaps he will not.  His father, who also served in the Army and spent 25 years in law enforcement, died at the age of 57.

Thank you for your comments. 

Honored Contributor

Congratulations!  It's a great feeling to know how everyone sees your son as a wonderful & honorable man.

Best wishes on a happy & healthy retirement!

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny You are a very gracious person. I didn't read every response but I knew there would be at least one...

I hope your son enjoys HIS life and HIS choices in the judgment free zone behind a fishing pole.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

You did great, you raised him and sent him out into the world and he did amazing work, for himself, his family and for our Country. I’m beaming with you. Congratulations to you both. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@minkbunny 

Looks like you raised a very fine young man. I am very happy for you and your son and he obviously was very close to his co-workers all those many years. Congratulations to both of you and I hope your son realizes what a terrific mom he had that raised him. 

Wishing him the best in his retirement.

hckynut

hckynut(john)