Honored Contributor

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
We would all probably stop taking all meds if we looked at the “ possible” side effects. Everything listed is due to the advice of their attorneys, but some that include “you may stop breathing or go blind” would make me steer clear of those!

@lovesrecess   The best line yet. "May cause death". Oh yea! I want that drug!👏

@SeaMaiden  I see that on the drugs I take. It means nothing. Just covering their a**.

Trusted Contributor

I am on a couple of fb health/medical forums and let me tell you, my health complaints are nothing compared to the very sick people (most of them in their 20s and 30s!), who are posting.  When you spend a lot of time reading about others' serious ailments, 1) you feel very blessed to only have minor complaints in comparison, and 2) you absolutely understand how some people have to resort to toxic drugs.  It's a risk vs. benefit decision and yes, there are a lot of people desperate for relief and desperate for a cure.  So I have a very different attitude now about those formerly annoying ads.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

All I see with all the drug ads on tv are folks who see them and now they think they have that disease or this disease. Personally I think it's disgusting the FCC allows big pharms everywhere create ads for their drugs and are actually permitted to pay for air time to do such ads.

How, when, where and why did it become okay to have ads for drugs on nationwide television? This is not okay.

@PINKdogWOOD 

What a surprising comment.   Obviously you have never had a serious illness.

Just to be clear here .... these are newly-approved FDA-approved LEGAL MEDICATIONS.   Got that?

For crying out loud, we're not talking about heroin or other illegal drugs.  Do you also get worked up about advertisements for Tylenol or Advil?   

Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

Think how much cheaper medications would be if the drug companies put all the millions for advertising towards off-setting the price to the consumer.

@candyagain 

???    I really don't understand your comment ... just HOW would information be put out there about newly-developed medications without advertising?   

Just how would you think anyone would know about them?   Most people aren't psychic.  How would this work?   

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD I agree.  Seems they banned the selling of cigarettes and hard liquor but allow drug ads. 

By the same token, lawyer advertisements were once considered a no no & now they are all over the channels. 

@SloopJohnB 

Cigarettes and hard liquor are ADDICTIVE substances.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
We would all probably stop taking all meds if we looked at the “ possible” side effects. Everything listed is due to the advice of their attorneys, but some that include “you may stop breathing or go blind” would make me steer clear of those!

@lovesrecess 

Yep, the side effects are worse than their current medical condition in a lot of cases---drugs that cause heart attacks, cancer etc etc are not worth the risk..... 

@Spurt, the only ones with serious, even possibly deadly that I think might be worth taking are the ones that target those whose disease is terminal but might give them more time.

@suzyQ3   Yep, your right if an illness is terminal those folks will certanly take a chance.  However, I know several people that rely on meds and dont care about potential side effects....one of my friends seriously damaged her kidneys wth one drug she was taking  because she didnt want to exercse or change her diet which was the better solution to her diabetes and her other ailments.....Another one takes a drug that has the potential to cause breast cancer, her health issues are not terminal, but medication is an "easy fix" for her health issues she says.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Serious illness? @Tinkrbl44   No personally I have not had a 'serious' illness. Probably the most serious I've had was extreme hypothyroidism that took a good year and a half to get under control especially when I did not even know what was wrong. But I don't see any ads about this disease which really can become serious because if you know anything about hypo- or hyperthyroidism, many other organs perform well or not for us if the thyroid does or does not work properly.

Serious illness - I know what this is. It's having a husband who started out with rectal cancer Jan 2013 and is still and will continue taking killer cancer infusions and pills every other week now more than likely we've been informed by his team, for the rest of the life he has, until he just gets so tired and worn out from the treatments and tells us - me and his team - that he is done. If he does this that will be the end for him.

No this isn't me but I still tand by my personal opinion of advertising drugs of all sorts on nationwide television. You can choose your own opinion on this matter.

And yes, I said KILLER cancer drugs. These drugs seem to kill lots of other internal things, organs, tremendous side effects AND NOT in a good way. If these cancer drugs were killers, he'd not have cancer for now going on 9 YES nine years and counting. These drugs would kill all of his cancers and not cause and create other health problems.

Respected Contributor

It's so interesting that some drugs are advertized - talk to your doctor and suggest s/he consider giving you this treatment.

And yet, as late as a year after Covid began - this past March, my husband's cousin - after testing positive -  with symptoms -  was simply told to stay home until she had emergency breathing problems and only then to go to the hospital. She was 80.  It was too late of course - she was put on a ventilator and never recovered.

Apparently her doctor didn't feel any need to "discuss treatment options"  I just wonder how many who died could have been treated before they became an emergency case.

Esteemed Contributor

Recently a Congresswoman showed a pie chart of dollars spent on advertising as compared to dollars spent on R&D in the pharmalogical industry.  The advertising dollars were far more than the R&D spending. They claim costs are high because of R&D.

Also do you notice they read all the possible side effects while the actors are having the greatest fun...swimming,hiking, partying etc.?  The commercials are like mini movies.  Tiresome.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I a senior and on fixed income. I have a respiratory condition and been going without an inhaler because I can't afford it. It's been very tough.

I saw on tv that there is a new generic inhaler. I looked it up online, compared it to the name brands, and price checked it on GoodRX. It had the exact same ingredients as the name brand my doctor wanted me to use but it is 33% of the price. I called my doctor and he prescribed it. It works very well and I can afford it.

Thank you so much!  I have been trying for months to refill mine but I could not afford it.  They finally gave me a affordable price with GoodRx!!!  I have tried and tried with GoodRX before on my inhaler and it was way to expensive and my drug coverage insurance hardly covers anything.  I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you posted this information.  Thanks again!