Esteemed Contributor

Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

[ Edited ]

I don't usually have the TV on much during the day but today was an exception.  It seems that ads for medications have supplanted ads by personal injury attorneys, car dealerships and fast foods.

Included in the medication ads is a recitation of side effects, many of which are life threatening.

The thought entered my mind why in the world would anyone take such a dangerous medicine but then my brain kicked in and I realized how desperate for relief these people must be.

Going forward I will be much more tolerant when bombarded by the medication ads and put them in the light of the advertiser-- the hope that someone suffering from the disease/illness will at least discuss the appropriateness of the medication with their physicians.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

I watch a lot of TV and there are so many medication ads. I wish pharma was never permitted to advertise them on television. 

Honored Contributor

We would all probably stop taking all meds if we looked at the “ possible” side effects. Everything listed is due to the advice of their attorneys, but some that include “you may stop breathing or go blind” would make me steer clear of those!
Honored Contributor

My BIL is an internist. He said I wouldn’t believe the patients who come in with a list of the meds they have seen on tv and pretty much have diagnosed themselves and demand some of the latest meds they saw on Tv the day before. He said it’s very frustrating when they have no health issue that allows him to prescribe most of those meds. Totally unethical for him to do it and he could lose his medical license if just writes scripts because someone liked the ad on tv. I find the ads so annoying because they are so long and cheesy. Almost as bad as insurance commercials, which are the hands-down worst of all commercials.

Honored Contributor

Imo, we should be thankful that the advertisers are listing all of the side effects.

Could go 'the other way'.  In other words, I wouldn't be too happy if they advertised and DIDN'T state the side effects.

'Easy-peasy' medications advertised on TV  without stating the possible side effects wouldn't be a good thing.  In my opinion, of course.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I bet doctors wished that these pharma companies would not be allowed to advertise: Can you imagine how often they have to hear their patients requests for something they saw on TV?

I also think that attorneys should be similarly banned from advertising.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Marp 

So true!  These ads are doing a public service!

I tend to believe that most people  (me included) don't read the info that the druggist puts in the bag with your meds.

It was a Lipitor ad around 2006 that alerted me to an issue I had been having,  I now read all the inserts and google for side effects.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I watch a lot of TV and there are so many medication ads. I wish pharma was never permitted to advertise them on television. 

US and New Zealand are the only two countries that allow this.

Respected Contributor

I noticed lots of info online about that "new" weightloss drug which is just a larger dose of Ozempic.  My BF was on that and when he had his 2 gallbladder attacks, it turned into pancreatitis and then pancreatic necrosis.  He lost 3/4 of his pancreas.  I believe some of his diagnoses are considered a side effect of the Ozempic. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Imo, we should be thankful that the advertisers are listing all of the side effects.

Could go 'the other way'.  In other words, I wouldn't be too happy if they advertised and DIDN'T state the side effects.

'Easy-peasy' medications advertised on TV  without stating the possible side effects wouldn't be a good thing.  In my opinion, of course.

@ROMARY 

Well, if the lawyers say it should be mentioned because in clinical trials four people in 500,000 had that side effect, it's a CYA comment.

Personally, I think advertising new medications on TV commercials will get the word out there better than a print ad in newspapers or magazines ....  or even the internet.