Honored Contributor

Re: Security scare - beware!

Do you use any anti-malware software, aside from the anti-virus in Norton's?    MIght not hurt to add Malwarebytes.  I use the paid version, but there is a free version.

It is NOT an anti-virus software, so you can (and should) use it alongside of your anti-virus software.   Just another layer of coverage.   I've used it for a number of years now and if I happen to click on something that has problems it won't let that site open up anythign nefarious, and just shows me the warning.  That's the kind of thing that precludes stuff like that getting through, IMO.  

Of course everybody should also have anti-virus software, too, so it's not an 'instead of' deal.  Smiley Happy  

Valued Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

I got the exact same message today too. I had to shut my computer off twice.  Then I checked my McAfee security and all was ok. 

Contributor

You can get rid of this scam WITHOUT turning off your computer. Just do this----------------

Hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Delete at the same time. It will take you to a page where you click on START TASK MANAGER. (last in the listing)

The task manager box will come up top right on your desktop. Look at the virus listings and delete everything in this box. Delete everything listed to be safe.

It will disappear and all is well. I Posted this once before on another site where a lady said she was getting this virus thing popping up with a loud noise.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginalI'm thinking 100% scam -  and 99.9% nothing to do with accessing the Kroger site.

You did well to turn your computer off, but even never calling the fake help line number they gave you probably would have been suffcient.

A good reminder never to click on phone numbers from anyone if you didn't ask for the number!   I especially hate the scam emails that use the name of someone I know, but I still go to my own phone book for any kind of callback.  Some of the senders pretend to be people I haven't talked to for a very long time!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like they wanted you to call the number and they would ask you personnel questions to steal your idenity and bank account funds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Well, I'm the fool who fell for it. Woman Frustrated

Last year, whilst probably on here, this loud voice comes over my computer telling me it's going to be shut down in less than one minute (and a countdown started on my screen).  Said it was Windows and it detected *something*.

Asked me to click on the Windows icon.  Well I thought, how can anyone bad in that window.  I mean isn't that Window's window?

No.  Dirty rotten evil people can also be in that window. 

I can't even remember what all he was telling me to do, it was hard to understand him for one thing. 

But I did get suspicious and shut it down and took it to the Geeks and did whatever they did.

Honored Contributor

croemer wrote:

Sounds like they wanted you to call the number and they would ask you personnel questions to steal your idenity and bank account funds.

Heya Croemer!  Smiley Happy    BTW, happy birthday last January.   hehe - kinda late, so it gets to be your day again.  I like that.  Smiley Happy

Anyway, yeah, that's what it does and what scares the bejeebies out of me is that a lot of people get scared that what it says it true and calls, giving all that personal info.  I'm glad my father isn't even on computers at all.  His wife is, a little bit, but she's pretty savvy.

My husband is very, let's just say 'impressionable' (so as to not use the word 'gullible'...oops!) and I make sure that he knows all this stuff and to 100% abide by the fact that you cannot trust any of it - ever!  Every time I hear about a new one I tell him about it.  I think one time, a while back, he actually called on something like this.  Fortunately, he said (hope he wasn't lying) that he didn't give any info.  *whew*   We have separate bank and credit card accounts, so I can never be sure.   

But if anybody has someone in their circle who might not be so savvy, or is too trusting, it's our duty to tell them about every single one of these type of things, for their good.

Respected Contributor

Right click your task bar and select Task Manager.  Right click on the browser you were on when the malware appeared.  Select End Task. It will get rid of it when the "X" in the upper hand right corner will not.  

When you open that browser again it will ask you if you want to restore? That dialogue box will be in the upper right hand corner. Just click the X inside that small dialogue box. Under no circumstances do you want to restore those pages.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ive gotten those pop-ups when I've been on Facebook.  I don't think they have anything to do with Kroger and they have no more control over them than you do.  I just ignore them and continue with what I was doing. 

I think these are faux ransom ware, trying to get you to think it's real.  The real thing wouldn't let you do a thing to your computer. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's a scam.  They will ask permission to take over your computer so they can fix it but what they want is your informatuon. Do not respond to them.