Esteemed Contributor

Secret Santa Gift Help Please

I decided to participate in a secret santa and am trying to decide on a gift.  $10 is the recommended amount, but I know the person who I am giving it to, (this secret santa thing is a little different than I am used to) and do not mind paying more.  

I am deciding between:

Cabin socks from Costco

An influsion waterbottle

A cute daily desk calendar

An engraved purse mirror

The way that I think this secret santa thing works is that I have the first name on my list, then I add my name, and then I am not sure what happens after that.  I may need to send out other gifts.  So, I am trying to  keep costs down.

Since I will be mailing this gift, I do want something that is easy to mail.

Also, if you have any other ideas, I welcome them.  Thanks so much!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Secret Santa Gift Help Please

Cabin socks -- definitely!

That's something that can be used and enjoyed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first thought - stick with the $10 suggestion (it's awkward

when some go above the recommended amount).

From your list - I'd go with the socks.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl  If you're able to purchase the the cabin socks from Costco on-line, you'll probably get free shipping if you're a member.  To me, that's the way I'd go.  Free shipping does me in everytime.  

Honored Contributor

I vote for socks !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I am in the minority, but I would say perhaps the engraved mirror.  The main reason being it's something different and something that someone may not buy for themselves (and if you are friends, it's a nice sentiment). 

And I know everyone is going to have different preferences, and I appreciate the thought behind any gift. There are a few gifts  that I receive often and tend to donate (cabin socks, blankets/throws, mugs).

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I decided to participate in a secret santa and am trying to decide on a gift.  $10 is the recommended amount, but I know the person who I am giving it to, (this secret santa thing is a little different than I am used to) and do not mind paying more.  

I am deciding between:

Cabin socks from Costco

An influsion waterbottle

A cute daily desk calendar

An engraved purse mirror

The way that I think this secret santa thing works is that I have the first name on my list, then I add my name, and then I am not sure what happens after that.  I may need to send out other gifts.  So, I am trying to  keep costs down.

Since I will be mailing this gift, I do want something that is easy to mail.

Also, if you have any other ideas, I welcome them.  Thanks so much!

So you know who you will be giving it to. And it sounds like it's most likely a woman. While I would like cozy socks for a gift, especially the aloe moisturizing kind, some people have histories of getting socks and underwear as Christmas gifts as kids and don't consider them great presents.

Any of the items you've listed would be great if you know she would like them. As in you know the kind of calendar pictures she would want to look at every day. Or you know she wears makeup that she would want to check with a purse mirror. Or she's into her bottled water. Or she's always saying she's cold so therefore the socks. Or if she's always hot, a mini fan. Riff on something you know about her. At that price level the thought really is more important.

If you know nothing about her, purse sized hand lotion or hand sanitizer is always safe.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

ASRe: Secret Santa Gift Help Please

I don't even know what cabin socks are, but they sound like a winner here.  (Warm, fuzzy socks maybe?)

The desk calendar sounds nice, too, unless your company already supplies one.  If you're getting it for their at-home use, people usually use their phones for such.  Or wall calendars.

If your friend uses a re-useable water bottle, that would be nice.  I just got a complimentary glass one from Sakara and was disappointed it's not to be put in the dishwasher.  Window vase it will be.

The mirror sounds nice, but people who don't carry a compact of any kind will look at themselves in their phone for touchups.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker  I was at Costco today and did not know about this secret santa thing until late this afternoon.  While getting in and out of our Costco is not that easy as Delaware seems to be a permanent construction zone, today I used the self checkout and it was so easy.  As long as I do not do more shopping, I can be in and out in just a few minutes.  I really want to get this gift mailed this week since I have no idea if it is a one and done or if I will need other gifts.  I have no idea why I get myself into these things.  

Just to clarify:  This is not work related since I am retired.  The person who was selected for me is one of the directors at the Y.  I have known her for many years, but we do not socialize, except at Y functions.  This secret santa thing was put together by a former Y worker and it is all online.

Because my giftee, for lack of a better word, does teach a class or two, I was thinking of the water bottle.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what cabin socks are.  Are they a different type of socks?

I would vote for the infusion waterbottle.