Trusted Contributor

Re: Second opinion-would you get one if

so.... if you go for a procedure and everything is supposely good.... would you go for a second opinion if you still felt something was off???.... say a colonoscopy or such?

I guess human nature would make most people just feel glad nothing BAD was found and just accept the good diagnosis and not question it.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Tying this to a recent Mammogram thread (as of his writing),

would you get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th mammogram is something was 

spotted on the 1st film...before evasive treatment?

You would usually have a sonogram after a suspicious reading on the first ....to have a routine mammography repeated would not add any information and a waste of money unless it was repeated for poor technique.  A biopsy would be done before any invasive surgery as well. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did have a life-threatening disease, with less than a 1% chance of a one year survival.

Feeling almost an obligation to follow advice I’d always heard about getting a second opinion I asked my oncologist about getting one. He agreed I could – and would.  He said I’d also get a third, a fourth, a fifth and more if I continued conferring with doctors. Then he asked me a question that struck what I call my Truth Nerve. He said, “Will you know what to do with them?” He then went on to explain that my case was the topic of the hospital’s oncology board (of twelve oncologists), and that there was disagreement about my treatment among all of them.

There comes a time in all our lives we have to trust our instinct. I firmly believe that is why we have it–to guide us through life’s most difficult situations. Sometimes it whispers, but we all know later, after the fact, “I knew it. I just had a feeling.”  For me, this Teacher is the Holy Spirit.  I listened to my Teacher, trusting this doctor’s judgement and putting my life in his hands.

Oh, and I did one other thing I had ‘a feeling’ to do. I went to my oncology nurses privately and asked each one if they were in my situation would they choose this man for their doctor. Every one said, “Yes.”

I suppose you could say it all turned out OK as my 24th anniversary (AKA my second birthday) is next week. God is Good.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

YES, YES, YES.  Absolutely!!!  Changing doctors literally saved my life!  You have to be your own advocate.  You know your body better than anyone else IMHO.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Yes, of course, MS is a complex illness, never to be treated by just one doctor.

Years ago my DH was told by our dentist he had 8 cavities, went to another, only had 2, needless to say he switched dentists!!!

Respected Contributor

I have gone for a second opinion.

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Tying this to a recent Mammogram thread (as of his writing),

would you get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th mammogram is something was 

spotted on the 1st film...before evasive treatment?

You would usually have a sonogram after a suspicious reading on the first ....to have a routine mammography repeated would not add any information and a waste of money unless it was repeated for poor technique.  A biopsy would be done before any invasive surgery as well. 

Exactly.  I don't think multiple mammograms is what they do.  Generally you have your screening mammogram and if something shows you have a diagnostic mammogram and if something shows you have an ultrasound and then a biopsy if necessary.

My sister did have an ultrasound then a biopsy then another ultrasound then a mammogram lead biopsy because the first biopsy was done wrong. Smiley Sad 

Honored Contributor

With major dental costs (many people don't have insurance or the insurance don't pay out much for coverage), get a second opinion. They like to overcharge, make things up. $$$$

Honored Contributor

To answer the question, yes I would but what do you do if you get a conflicting opinion?  What if you go for a third opinion and that one is different from the other 2?    

New Contributor

Who can determine what is very dangerous or life threatening?

I think second opinions are extremely important to keep from going through unnecessary treatments, test, etc.

Mostly, however, they save lives!