Honored Contributor

Re: Second dose fiasco at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

I wish people would stick to the topic of the original post .

@Mindy D 

You reported total chaos at Hard Rock stadium.  NOT being a smart aleck here, but what was your question?  I didn't see one.

@Tinkrbl44 @The topic was the chaos at the hard rock over getting a second shot due to poor scheduling but the post has been derailed into being about the pluses and minuses of single dose versus multi dose vaccination. I did not post a question. Many of the responses here have veered off the topic and I'd like to see the conversation veer back on track. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@furbabylover wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 Now the CDC is saying that the vaccines don't prevent infection, they "may" weaken its impact on you. Hence the orders to continue wearing a mask.

@furbabylover@furbabylover @

@They have always stated that the only thing known is that they prevent severe infection in 95% of those vaccinated. I'm not totally sure that I can trust my memory about this so here is the actual full phase 3 trial given to the fda for approval from Pfizer, I'm so burnt out that I can't check through it thoroughly now, but you could look to see if there has been any change as to what Pfizer has been saying about the vaccine. I am posting what is said about asymptomatic infection and about transmissibility to others following vaccination with both doses. 

So far, I've found:

"Data are limited to assess the effect of the vaccine against asymptomatic infection as measured by detection of the virus and/or detection of antibodies against non-vaccine antigens that would indicate infection rather than an immune response induced by the vaccine. Additional evaluations will be needed to assess the effect of the vaccine in preventing asymptomatic infection, including data from clinical trials and from the vaccine’s use post-authorization."

"Vaccine effectiveness against transmission of SARS-CoV-2
Data are limited to assess the effect of the vaccine against transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from individuals who are infected despite vaccination. Demonstrated high efficacy against symptomatic COVID-19 may translate to overall prevention of transmission in populations with high enough vaccine uptake, though it is possible that if efficacy against asymptomatic infection were lower than efficacy against symptomatic infection, asymptomatic cases in combination with reduced mask-wearing and social distancing could result in significant continued transmission. Additional evaluations including data from clinical trials and from vaccine use post-authorization will be needed to assess the effect of the vaccine in preventing virus shedding and transmission, in particular in individuals with asymptomatic infection."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj8toXjjcLtAhVG-6wKHRL0BoQQ...

Respected Contributor

@Linmo  Don't know where you got that info, this is from two days ago. 

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

J&J says its Covid vaccine is 66% effective, but the single shot may fall short against variants

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Linmo  Don't know where you got that info, this is from two days ago. 

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

J&J says its Covid vaccine is 66% effective, but the single shot may fall short against variants

@fairydogmother I'm attaching a portion of the article that you referenced.  Worldwide, the J&J vaccine is 85% effective in preventing severe cases of COVID.  IMO, a very good result for all of us.  But even more importantly, it will hopefully relieve our hospital ICU capacity and health care workers, who have been so overwhelmed.

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.37.12 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

While we are all trying to  sort out these  confusing mazes to receive a  covid vaccine.

Dr Francis Collins @ NIH and Dr Fauci were

involved in funding of  Gain of Function Research which is  taking most dangerous virus  to be studied  and engineered in the lab   that was funded by NIH .  Dr Fauci  opt ed statement  in the Washington Post  12/30/2011  " A Flu virus Risk Worth Taking " . In 2014 , a moratorium  was placed  by our Government on this type of research , but this  research was subcontracted  to EcoHealth Alliance , Inc in NY  funded by NIH   for $3,748,715   tax payer dollars  that amounted to   6 projects  despite moratorium.  Then this research  passed on by Peter Daszak , Zoologist who discovered SARS   to Wuhan  . 11/30/2017  Perter Daszak ,co authored   research  with Wuhan Researcher  that the article included  info that leads funding back to Dr Francis Collins @ NIH and Dr Fauci . There are research articles and funding trails that are proof . Also Dr Michael " Osterholm director of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, which publishes CIDRAP News, added that some research is needed to answer key questions, such as what it would take for Ebola to become a respiratory virus, findings that would have implications for preparedness. "If it were the case, I don't want the public to have a blueprint on how to do it," he said. "

Pandora's box  was definitely opened with this " Gain of Function Research "  and we are all  having to deal with the repercustions .

just type https// before each research web link below

www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-backed-controversial-wuhan-lab-millions-us-dollars-risky-coronavirus-resea...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4996

www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2017/12/feds-lift-gain-function-research-pause-offer-guidance

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26320212/

academic.oup.com/jid/article/213/9/1364/2459266

Trusted Contributor

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/scientific-brief-emerging-varian...

This is the most recent update Jan 28, 2021 from the CDC.

It states that some variants will not be treatable by therapeutics or by convalescent plasma as well as not being recognized by any vaccine.  

Each variant has many, many mutations btw as that link will explain.  The push to inoculate as many as possible before the tsunami hits....well, just seems futile to me but I guess the reasoning is some protection is better than none.  

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 It's sort of like the regular flu vaccines, protective but only to about 50%.  That enough for the regular flu most years for most people and that why it was approved.    The second dose ups the protection level to that 94/5 % which at least the most vulverable people want.

Note how much longer J&J has worked to get their one dose vaccine to a worldwide 88%, 72% in this country.

Organization to vaccinate hundreds of millions of people all over the world at one time is something nobody has ever tried before. I wish I thought we were going to see a huge improvement soon!

@millieshops  One congressinoal district in South Carolina had such chaos, they called in the manager of the Chick-Fil-A to help them and it went smoothly thereafter.  Government just does not operate as efficiently and as effectively as private enterprise.  I don't know if you shop at Chick-Fil-A, but that is well-oiled machine.  They should get the guy who designed their system to run elections and vaccinations.

Respected Contributor

@Linmo yes I had already read the entire article. My response to you was based on your assertion that this particular vaccine is effective against the covid variants, which is not the case. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Perhaps I missed this in the news. but just WHY is a second shot even necessary?  Is the first dose too weak?   What a hassle for everyone!  

When the doses were being created for FDA approval, they should have been sent back to the drawing board to create a one dose vaccine.   

IMO, if they can create a one dose vaccine for polio or shingles, why can't they do this for covid?  Anyone know the answer to this?  

@Tinkrbl44 

The shingles shot is TWO doses.

I should know, I go in for my SECOND shot this week.

@Anonymous032819 

I've had the shingles shot and it was just one dose.  When I was a kid, the polio vaccine was a one shot deal as well.  Hmm.  I'm seeing my doctor this week and will ask her what I have had.  There was no mention of a second shot ... for anything.

I had the *one dose* shingles shot about 10 years ago.

Then they came up with the newer shingles vaccine and it's a *2 dose* shot to be given 2 months apart.

Was told I could do the newer 2 dose shot even though I had the original--like you. @Tinkrbl44 

I had the first of this 2 dose one in November.  Sick, sick, SICK w/i 12 hours.  Fever, chills, body aches all through the night.

But.....I knew I had to go for my 2nd one this month and did.  Sick SICK SICKER than the first one.  Took 12 hours for a reaction.  Fever, chills, horrible bodyaches, a headache that caused dizziness and wicked nausea and it lasted for over 18 hours.

DH and I going to get vaccinated for Covid, our age group isn't *up* yet and we don't have any other underlying conditions.  So we will patiently wait.  And if I have a bad reaction, I'll lose another 5 lbs!

@Lucky Charm 

Saw my doc today and she said that the Shingrex vaccine has LIVE virus in it!    She didn't recommend I get a second shot because I'm on a biologic (Enbrel) and it compromises the immune system a little.   

I thought most vaccines had "dead" virus in it.    This was news to me!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

I wish people would stick to the topic of the original post .

@Mindy D 

You reported total chaos at Hard Rock stadium.  NOT being a smart aleck here, but what was your question?  I didn't see one.

@Tinkrbl44 @The topic was the chaos at the hard rock over getting a second shot due to poor scheduling but the post has been derailed into being about the pluses and minuses of single dose versus multi dose vaccination. I did not post a question. Many of the responses here have veered off the topic and I'd like to see the conversation veer back on track. 

Okay.  So there was a lot of chaos at Hard Rock.  I could be wrong, but I doubt there were many posters from here at that location and could add much to your report of chaos.  There's been chaos at a LOT of locations all over the country.   Check the news if you don't believe me.  This is nothing new.  JMO