Honored Contributor

Re: Second dose fiasco at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami

We received our first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. It was a seamless process. The drive to and from was almost two hours; we spent approximately one hour at the facility.

L.A. County is finally getting it going. We went to one of five super sites now open. Ours was drive-through, which is the only way we were interested in.

We were given our second date online when we registered for the first one, and we now have that appointment in writing from the staff today. We go back in three weeks.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

A question was asked ...  Isn't the 1st Covid shot strong enough...why two?   

A doctor on CNN stated that the 1st one is a "weaken dose" to get your body accustom to the "germ" being injected into your body.  Also recommended when you get the shot, is to "hang around" since some people needed an shot of epinephrine since they had an anaphylactic reaction to Pfizer and Moderna vacs.

Respected Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be a game-changer once it is approved and distributed.  One dose is 85% effective against serious illness and death from COVID and it can be stored at normal refridgeration temperatures.  

But, it is much less effective at preventing you from contracting Covid. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We received our first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. It was a seamless process. The drive to and from was almost two hours; we spent approximately one hour at the facility.

L.A. County is finally getting it going. We went to one of five super sites now open. Ours was drive-through, which is the only way we were interested in.

We were given our second date online when we registered for the first one, and we now have that appointment in writing from the staff today. We go back in three weeks.

That's so great! I'm so glad you both got your first doses.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be a game-changer once it is approved and distributed.  One dose is 85% effective against serious illness and death from COVID and it can be stored at normal refridgeration temperatures.  

@fairydogmother It's not accurate to compare the J & J trial effectivity percentages to that of Pfizer and Moderna.  The J & J data includes it's effectiveness against the new variants around the world while the Pfizer and Moderna data was collected before the variants emerged.  

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 Congrats to you and DH on getting your first dose!  My daughter at UCLA received her first dose about a week ago.  She also received Pfizer but the person in the cubicle next to her got Moderna, so I guess it's just random.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Perhaps I missed this in the news. but just WHY is a second shot even necessary?  Is the first dose too weak?   What a hassle for everyone!  

When the doses were being created for FDA approval, they should have been sent back to the drawing board to create a one dose vaccine.   

IMO, if they can create a one dose vaccine for polio or shingles, why can't they do this for covid?  Anyone know the answer to this?  

@Tinkrbl44 

The shingles shot is TWO doses.

I should know, I go in for my SECOND shot this week.

@Anonymous032819 

I've had the shingles shot and it was just one dose.  When I was a kid, the polio vaccine was a one shot deal as well.  Hmm.  I'm seeing my doctor this week and will ask her what I have had.  There was no mention of a second shot ... for anything.

I had the *one dose* shingles shot about 10 years ago.

Then they came up with the newer shingles vaccine and it's a *2 dose* shot to be given 2 months apart.

Was told I could do the newer 2 dose shot even though I had the original--like you. @Tinkrbl44 

I had the first of this 2 dose one in November.  Sick, sick, SICK w/i 12 hours.  Fever, chills, body aches all through the night.

But.....I knew I had to go for my 2nd one this month and did.  Sick SICK SICKER than the first one.  Took 12 hours for a reaction.  Fever, chills, horrible bodyaches, a headache that caused dizziness and wicked nausea and it lasted for over 18 hours.

DH and I going to get vaccinated for Covid, our age group isn't *up* yet and we don't have any other underlying conditions.  So we will patiently wait.  And if I have a bad reaction, I'll lose another 5 lbs!

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@fairydogmother It's not accurate to compare the J & J trial effectivity percentages to that of Pfizer and Moderna.  The J & J data includes it's effectiveness against the new variants around the world while the Pfizer and Moderna data was collected before the variants emerged.  

Exactly, @Linmo.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I am scheduled to get my first vaccine dose on Feb. 13th.  I can't wait.  I was told I would get either the Pfizer or Mederma vaccine.  Fine with me.  I prefer the effectiveness of those vaccines to the effectiveness of the new one-injection J&J vaccine.  I was happy to get the two-injection Shingrix vaccine after watching my grandfather and my mother go through shingles infections.  And I will be happy to get my second COVID injection.  Just hope that the new administration working with state governments will be sucessful in getting more vaccines out to more people very soon.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

I wish people would stick to the topic of the original post .

@Mindy D No reason at all too.  It isn't a mid-term test.

Other questions and topics arose in the discussion, people are interested in responding, and it's a discussion.  Not a quiz.  Let's be happy information is being passed along--as we understand it--and answers are being given by people who want to share what they know or think. . . 

@Sooner Being off topic derails the conversation and is against board rules. It is also rude to the OP.