Honored Contributor

Re: Second dose fiasco at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami

@Mindy D wrote:

I wish people would stick to the topic of the original post .

@Mindy D 

You reported total chaos at Hard Rock stadium.  NOT being a smart aleck here, but what was your question?  I didn't see one.

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Yes, you probably had the one dose shingles shot but it had limited effectiveness that wore off with time and age. 

The Shingrix shot is  two doses , received between 2-6 months apart. 97% effective and lasts about 4 years.

Some vaccines need to be redone over time. Don't remember how many decades ago I got the tetanus but now need a new one!

Esteemed Contributor

Having been educated at a university where the scientific method was like religion, I am definitely in favor of vaccination for every common ailment known to man and woman. However, the supply problems with Covid vaccines have created suspicion, at least on my part, that we will be able to receive the proper inoculations as prescribed. Besides, I can't get on any list in my state for any Covid vaccine, even though I am over 65 with asthma. I shall continue my self imposed isolation and enjoy the company of my husband, my beagle, my books, and my TV.

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D 

I finally got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Friday 1/29 at Lockhart Stadium in Ft Lauderdale, very close to my home. I posted on another thread how very organized the whole process was. My 2nd dose appointment was made at the time of the first, and I was given an appointment card with the date and time for the follow-up. This was organized by Broward Health.

Valued Contributor

@Xivambala  Glad you were able to get it. And, no Covid arm with Pfizer.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D.  There was a discussion with a health expert on "Meet the Press" this morning where it was suggested authorities are considering eliminating the second dose of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.  They are moderately effective with one dose and if the second dose was eliminated twice as many people could be inoculated. 

Health experts are worried about an epidemic of the virulent strains that are now in GB and Africa and think we may have a disaster coming.  He said, " the worse if yet to come".  They want to rush and use the second dose on as many people as possible.  This may be behind your situation in Miami.

I'm sure you can view this "Meet the Press" episode of the NBC website.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 The most efficacious shingles vaccine is the Shingrix vaccine which entails two injections two to six months apart. Prior to that there was a single dose vaccine. I believe Shingrix became widely available in the past two or three years.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Now the CDC is saying that the vaccines don't prevent infection, they "may" weaken its impact on you. Hence the orders to continue wearing a mask.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Perhaps I missed this in the news. but just WHY is a second shot even necessary?  Is the first dose too weak?   What a hassle for everyone!  

When the doses were being created for FDA approval, they should have been sent back to the drawing board to create a one dose vaccine.   

IMO, if they can create a one dose vaccine for polio or shingles, why can't they do this for covid?  Anyone know the answer to this?  

@Tinkrbl44 

The shingles shot is TWO doses.

I should know, I go in for my SECOND shot this week.

@Anonymous032819 

I've had the shingles shot and it was just one dose.  When I was a kid, the polio vaccine was a one shot deal as well.  Hmm.  I'm seeing my doctor this week and will ask her what I have had.  There was no mention of a second shot ... for anything.

@Tinkrbl44.  The newest vaccine, Shingrex, is a two dose deal.  I just had my second dose 10 days ago

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D My second appointment got rescheduled from 2/18 to to 2/25....i think because they did not have enough forsecond doses