Respected Contributor

I would have done what the OP did too, there is no way I am going to sit by a server station, or sit near or looking in the kitchen, and we always request where we want to sit. We prefer a booth too, and not the little two person one. It's our comfort so we can enjoy ourselves and the food.

A few years ago we went to a lovely little Italian restaurant in Cambria, California, had a lovely seat and wine and bread served, and wouldn't you know, they seated a young couple with a kid that began to scream near us, ruining the ambiance. We asked to be moved away from them, but could still hear the bellering kid. To me, there are kid restaurants, and then restaurants for adults only.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

I too do not want to be seated by a noisy restaurant kitchen.

The OP mentioned the waiter came for her drink order so, if the friend already had her drink, I would have stayed put. If she were just ordering too, I see nothing wrong with asking to have a different table.

Super Contributor
On 9/21/2014 occasional rain said:
On 9/21/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

If a friend was already sitting in the booth, I'd probably just stay there. But I don't blame you one bit for wanting to move.

I hate booths. I always get smushed against the wall, or the booth is too tall and I feel like a little kid.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I agree with you on that. By making an issue of it the OP insulted her friend. That she would accept her offer to change places was unacceptable too. She shouldn't be surprised if her friend is unavailable to lunch in the future.

Had it been a stranger (eg business lunch), maybe. But that's what friends are for, they're like family, you can joke with them and have fun with them. None of my friends would be insulted if I asked for a different table, nor I if they did so. That's thin-skinned and petty, for friends.

Respected Contributor

I once sat where I could watch the chef and assistant at work. I loved every second of it. Watching the clean-up aspect wouldn't be pleasant at all. I agree, I could stay home if I wanted to see dirty dishes. LOL

Super Contributor

Thanks, Clover 29. My friend and I have been friends for years and years. I'm actually surprised she agreed to the table in the first place given the empty ones everywhere else. And yes, I bet she's available for lunch or dinner in the future since I paid for the entire ticket! (and I was glad to do it).

Honored Contributor

It's the (sometimes) noisy kitchens that are way too distracting for/to me.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
On 9/20/2014 ivey said:

I met a friend for dinner and she was already seated. It was a smaller booth for two. My view was directly into the noisy kitchen where there were about 6 people working. When the waiter came to ask for my drink order, I asked if we could move and told him that I didn't like looking into the kitchen (no door on it). My friend offered to switch with me, but I could still hear all the racket. This was a steakhouse.

They got the hostess and moved us (there were plenty of empty tables). I guess I'm asking whether you mind looking into the kitchen with all the goings on. I joked that if I wanted to see dirty dishes, I would stay home.

Wouldn't bother me a bit as my first jobs were a restaurants, in all capacities. Then again I don't eat out very often and the places I eat aren't what I consider "fancy".

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

If there were empty tables, I'm surprised your friend didn't request a different one right from the beginning.

Honored Contributor
Oh, come on. Silly question. No one likes sitting near the kitchen or near bathrooms. I've declined to be seated near either. You did what anyone would do. What's up with your friend? Why did she take a bad table when there were better ones available?
Super Contributor

I am not shy at all about requesting a table or booth in a certain area. I don't want to sit anywhere noisy or with heavy traffic if it can be helped.

I particularly try to avoid being seated near large parties.