Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sears might be down to it’s last 24 hours

Sad. An American institution gone. Soon there won't be any brick and mortar store left.

Honored Contributor

I can recall if you bought a Sears best, you had something that could compete, with any name brand product

I used to get my daughter Winnie the Pooh dresses. They were so cute . They looked just like Polly Flinders

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden, thanks for posting. Glad my dad isn't alive to see this. He used to say, "if Sears or Monkey Wards doesn't have it, you don't need it!" As a kid I remember spending hours pouring over both of their catalogs drooling over Christmas toys and school clothes.
Honored Contributor

It does not make a lot of sense, but I get emotionally spun around when I think about another iconic store from my life biting the dust.  

How I looked forward to the Sears Christmas catalog (the "wish book" for many of us) when I was a young child.  That volume was dog-eared by the time Christmas Day rolled around.

How many appliances did I buy there in my young married life?  Even until not too long ago I have stubbornly bought my appliances there.  It felt comfortable and a known entity to me.

My late husband had so many Craftsman tools and storage units and carts. These stores that have gone poof helped make many of our best memories.

I noticed last week that the Sears in our nearest big mall is now a Dave & Buster's.  I've never been in a D&B and really do not know what sort of place it is.  Actually, it occupies only the back half of the space once commanded by mighty Sears. 

Occasional Contributor

What will this mean for people who have their large appliances and warranties and need service or repair?

Trusted Contributor

Back in the 70s we shopped at Sears all the time.  At that time our local mall had Sears on one end and JC Penny at the other end.  Sears was considered where the everyday folks shopped and Pennys was for the upper class.  Funny how times change. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

twizzley,

I'm talking off the top of my head and guessing, but I think Sears might pass the warranties, etc., on to a contractor that does this sort of work.  

These days, so many companies contract out work.  There is a center, but that center finds local technicians.  Sometimes, that center is located in Canada, as I have recently discovered.  This particular center then contacts service providers in the U.S.  These are truly strange times in which we live.

(I hope my guesses are true.)

Respected Contributor

Sears was our go to store. My brother and I would go with our parents. At Christmas it was a real treat. Toys and Santa. My brother worked there until it closed. Sad not to have Sears anymore.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you Goldie76! Smiley Happy