Honored Contributor

Re: Sears and KMart closing more stores

[ Edited ]

KMart was great for couponing but I haven't shopped at Sears in decades.  I suspect both stores will be non-existent in the next 5 years.

Honored Contributor

I've been buying school uniform pants (boys) from Sears going back into the 80's and still for my grandsons.

I take my cars for oil changes, too, sometimes.  Handier and more obliging than my car dealers.

I'm sad to see Sears go.

One Kmart by my one house was horrible.  It closed before they even merged, I think.

But another one was so nice and big and clean.  I loved going there and shopping for *stuff*.  Lots of toys and household things.

So sad to see any and all those people lose their jobs.  They may not have made a lot of money, but so many of the employees worked there a loooong time, so it couldn't have been that bad.  Everyone at Sears was so polite, too.

Honored Contributor

Are there kmart stores still open?  

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Are there kmart stores still open?  

Yes, if you google you can find them in your state.  Now they are probably on the chopping block.  And many have already closed.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh, all Sears stores in Canada are gone for a couple of years now.  I think they just sold their Kenmore brand.  LM

Respected Contributor

Our Sears on the closing list, too. Dont buy appliances and tools like we used to but it has been go to place for some things like snow blowers, microwave, etc. What I will really miss us the Lands End store inside. I have been buying many clothing items there in last few years. Quality and style have been so nice. Swimsuits are awesome. Another sad day in retail! Their appliance repair is all I have ever used.
What “know-it-all” thought it was good for Sears to buy K-mart? Bet he walked away with pocket full of money! Feel so sorry for employees.
Honored Contributor

Both our Sears and Kmart closed last year. We still have Walmart, Target, Kohl's and Shopko though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The sears in our town is quite small - just hardware and appliances but it's on the list to be closed. Gee - when I was a kid we shopped at Sears all the time!

We haven't had a K Mart in this town for a  long time.

There is a very large mall in Pittsburgh (Century 3 ) that has gone defunct and my DH told me he read it was bought by a huge medical center and they are going to put doctor's offices and things like x ray - a woman's center - surgi center -etc etc. in there. So it will be a very large medical complex. We have a place like that here in our small Fl. town and it is always jammed . I guess that is where there is money to be made - health care.

Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc wrote:

At one time Sears was a wonderful place to work. However over the years they hired CEO's that wanted quick results in the ledger and they began to destroy the relationship with both the employees and the customers. If you fire the long time full employees and hire only part timers you save on hourly wages and benefits. You also lose the customers because now the service isn't good. Satisfaction Guaranteed was the slogan that you don't see on any of the few stores still open now. Sears management has slowly killed what was once a great place to work. At one time you could meet employees that had worked there for 40 years and still wanted to stay. There were whole families that were employed there. Now, Rest in Peace.

I read that during WWll all of the sales people who went to war could be assured that their jobs would be waiting for them.

Honored Contributor

When the Sears/Kmart thing happened years ago I thought, at that time that Sears took over Kmart.  I learned later that it was Kmart that took over Sears.  When I visited a favorite Kmart before it closed near the end of last year I was talking to one of the Kmart employees and I expressed my sadness over this particular Kmart closing. 

She told me the biggest mistake Kmart made was trying to bail Sears out.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise