Honored Contributor

Re: Search and Rescue/Houston will go on into the night

[ Edited ]

Look who was born in a shelter during Hurricane Harvey (sweet baby, God bless!):

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Since we know about hurricanes a week or more in advance, why is there such a need for search and rescue?

The way to be safe is to leave the area before the hurricane hits.  The track of it and information is on the airwaves 24/7 for days. 

Here in Illinois, we have tornadoes from time to time.  If we're lucky, we get a couple of minutes to seek safety.

Why does this happen with every hurricane?  Everyone knows it's coming.  You can't stop all property damage, but why are lives in danger?

Hyacinth

I would say that predicting the weather, is an art and not an exact science.  I've been through this where I live many times, since I'm a flood zone.  I have evacuated every time I was advised to, but I know many of my neighbors didn't.  They've had so many false alarms...

They take their chances.  

Honored Contributor

More of the safe and happy rescues being care for by the fabulous folks at the Texas A&M extension service:

Honored Contributor

A man holds back tears as he surveys what is left of his home while comforting his dogs: