Esteemed Contributor

Re: Search and Rescue/Houston will go on into the night

@software wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shiloh09 wrote:

Why do people not evacuate? Hard to say...Houston was not hit directly by Harvey. In fact as it was pummeling Rockport and surrounding areas south of here, my neighborhood didn't get a drizzle of rain. We all knew we would get a lot of rain and there would be flooding. The fact is that this storm has moved incredibly slow. The slower it moves the more rain. No one could have predicted this catastrophic amount of water. There was an evacuation ordered ten years ago or so. There were a dozen deaths from accidents and extreme heat on the roads as thousands and thousands of people hit the established evacuation routes. All before the storm even started back then! While new procedures are in place, there are more people living here and more building all the time. This is a 500 year flood which means the possibility of it occurring is .2%----that is point two percent. Finally and unfortunately, not unlike any other places, there are actually people that do not have the means to just leave their home.

Pray for Texas, we have a long recovery ahead not just in Houston, but southeast Texas.

@Shiloh09

SE Louisiana feels your pain, and will be sending all of the help we can muster.  Houston was there for NOLA in 2005, and we'll all be there for you.  Take care!

Are you sending the Cajun navy?   Those guys are fearless and tireless!

@software

They left for Texas earlier today!!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

HOUSTON - The controlled release of the Barker and Addicks Reservoirs is expected to impact thousands of homes and will make flooding worse in some areas, Harris County Office of Emergency Management said Sunday night.

The water release from Addicks Reservoir will begin at 2 a.m. Monday with Barker to follow 24 hours later, officials stated during a press conference.

Residents along Addicks and Barker Reservoirs are being asked as part of non-mandatory evacuation to leave their homes, as the Corps of Engineers will start a slow, controlled release of water the reservoirs.

Officials told residents not to leave their homes Sunday night. They are being stressed to leave Monday due to uncertain conditions on the roads.

"The idea is to prepare tonight, pack up what you need, put it in your vehicle, then in the morning, they should leave, Jeff Lindner with Harris County Office of Emergency Management said.

The controlled release is expected to impact thousands of homes. The rising water situation could put too much pressure on the dams if the water is not released not.

"That is something you don't want to happen. You don't want to have an uncontrolled problem at the dam," Lindner added.

Additionally, the controlled release will make the Buffalo Bayou flooding even worse. Officials have put out maps to show the people who need to get to higher ground.

This is the first time officials have done a release while it is still raining.

@sidsmom thanks for posting this as it truly shows how unbelievably mind boggling this entire situation is.  

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@software wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shiloh09 wrote:

Why do people not evacuate? Hard to say...Houston was not hit directly by Harvey. In fact as it was pummeling Rockport and surrounding areas south of here, my neighborhood didn't get a drizzle of rain. We all knew we would get a lot of rain and there would be flooding. The fact is that this storm has moved incredibly slow. The slower it moves the more rain. No one could have predicted this catastrophic amount of water. There was an evacuation ordered ten years ago or so. There were a dozen deaths from accidents and extreme heat on the roads as thousands and thousands of people hit the established evacuation routes. All before the storm even started back then! While new procedures are in place, there are more people living here and more building all the time. This is a 500 year flood which means the possibility of it occurring is .2%----that is point two percent. Finally and unfortunately, not unlike any other places, there are actually people that do not have the means to just leave their home.

Pray for Texas, we have a long recovery ahead not just in Houston, but southeast Texas.

@Shiloh09

SE Louisiana feels your pain, and will be sending all of the help we can muster.  Houston was there for NOLA in 2005, and we'll all be there for you.  Take care!

Are you sending the Cajun navy?   Those guys are fearless and tireless!

@software

They left for Texas earlier today!!

Oh yay @shoesnbags bless you and all that are rushing to help our friends in Texas!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Its just unreal. I want to cry for all in Texas right now.

But all the rescuers and the people being rescued-really working together-so much courage. One woman said she was happy and felt blessed as she and her very elderly mother are in a raft with a CNN reporter, going down basically a river.

What a difference for them and me on my couch, safe. Its hard to imagine. Prayers for all and for those who died and were injured and their families.

Thank you to all the rescue workers and to those rescuing all the pets!!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

People will live anywhere. Build it,  they will come and it doesn't seem to matter what the risks may come along with it. Houston and the surrounding areas are built right on top of a swampland. 

@SilleeMee I more than smell what you're cooking but my angst lies with the zoning boards that allows building in areas that are clearly unstable.  This not only applies to those in coastal area but also those in high risk of fire like CA that are having dozens of homes lost to fire that were built in areas that previously were never zoned for habitation.  

Good point.

@momtochloe wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

People will live anywhere. Build it,  they will come and it doesn't seem to matter what the risks may come along with it. Houston and the surrounding areas are built right on top of a swampland. 

@SilleeMee I more than smell what you're cooking but my angst lies with the zoning boards that allows building in areas that are clearly unstable.  This not only applies to those in coastal area but also those in high risk of fire like CA that are having dozens of homes lost to fire that were built in areas that previously were never zoned for habitation.  

Good point.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Since we know about hurricanes a week or more in advance, why is there such a need for search and rescue?

The way to be safe is to leave the area before the hurricane hits.  The track of it and information is on the airwaves 24/7 for days. 

Here in Illinois, we have tornadoes from time to time.  If we're lucky, we get a couple of minutes to seek safety.

Why does this happen with every hurricane?  Everyone knows it's coming.  You can't stop all property damage, but why are lives in danger?

Hyacinth

Your judgmental attitude is rude and insensitve.

I feel terrible for what I have seen.  But this is the alternative for not evacuating.  I would never think it would be easy.  Is risking your life and the lives of rescuers really better?

Were there public resources to evacuate people who couldn't afford it or were unable to physically do it?  I bet there were.  Inconvenient and stressful - I have no doubt.  There are 2 options - take the advice and leave or stay and risk your life.  Property damage will be what it will be.  The weather people said there would be unprecedented amounts of rain coming down.  Just hearing about it in Illinois makes you scared for people staying.  The warnings got more dire as it got closer.  I thought about it last night - what would I do?  My husband, daughter, myself, and our pets would be in the car driving north.  We would take pet food and anything valuable we could put in the trunk.  I would rather be stuck in my car in safety than stay.  We have elderly neighbors that we would try to get help for before going.  I can't say I know how it would be, but when the warnings were given days ago, I would start planning.  I don't really see it as rude or insensitive.

Like other Americans, I pray for these people.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't  think it was predicted that Houston would get hit so hard....they knew they would get a lot of rain, but the mayor said to stay put...he's coming under a lot of fire now...hard to know what to do..evacuating millions of people is no easy feat...highways get jammed, run out of gas/food, the Texas heat, and where do you go? Not every one has the means to stay in a hotel for any length of time..or may not have family anywhere...not to mention the pets...I thought after Katrina the shelters would let people and their pets in...doesn't seem like that changed much...some people can't/won't leave their pets and livestock..I get it..being an animal lover I doubt I'd go anywhere with out my pets....

Houston is mostly concrete...no where for the water to drain...100,000 people moving there every year...it's going to rain for the next two days...horrible, heartbreaking situation.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Image result for sending prayers images

Honored Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

I don't  think it was predicted that Houston would get hit so hard....they knew they would get a lot of rain, but the mayor said to stay put...he's coming under a lot of fire now...hard to know what to do..evacuating millions of people is no easy feat...highways get jammed, run out of gas/food, the Texas heat, and where do you go? Not every one has the means to stay in a hotel for any length of time..or may not have family anywhere...not to mention the pets...I thought after Katrina the shelters would let people and their pets in...doesn't seem like that changed much...some people can't/won't leave their pets and livestock..I get it..being an animal lover I doubt I'd go anywhere with out my pets....

Houston is mostly concrete...no where for the water to drain...100,000 people moving there every year...it's going to rain for the next two days...horrible, heartbreaking situation.

@Karie2022 I too love animals and I know I would risk my life to save them if I could.  I just ran across this on Twitter and it made me smile:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/902035880810086401

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@software wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Since we know about hurricanes a week or more in advance, why is there such a need for search and rescue?

The way to be safe is to leave the area before the hurricane hits.  The track of it and information is on the airwaves 24/7 for days. 

Here in Illinois, we have tornadoes from time to time.  If we're lucky, we get a couple of minutes to seek safety.

Why does this happen with every hurricane?  Everyone knows it's coming.  You can't stop all property damage, but why are lives in danger?

Hyacinth

Your judgmental attitude is rude and insensitve.

I feel terrible for what I have seen.  But this is the alternative for not evacuating.  I would never think it would be easy.  Is risking your life and the lives of rescuers really better?

Were there public resources to evacuate people who couldn't afford it or were unable to physically do it?  I bet there were.  Inconvenient and stressful - I have no doubt.  There are 2 options - take the advice and leave or stay and risk your life.  Property damage will be what it will be.  The weather people said there would be unprecedented amounts of rain coming down.  Just hearing about it in Illinois makes you scared for people staying.  The warnings got more dire as it got closer.  I thought about it last night - what would I do?  My husband, daughter, myself, and our pets would be in the car driving north.  We would take pet food and anything valuable we could put in the trunk.  I would rather be stuck in my car in safety than stay.  We have elderly neighbors that we would try to get help for before going.  I can't say I know how it would be, but when the warnings were given days ago, I would start planning.  I don't really see it as rude or insensitive.

Like other Americans, I pray for these people.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  I'm going to step in here and say that the local officials scoffed when the Gov. advised folks to start evacuating on FRIDAY from Houston.  The officials in the area turned around and told people that the hurricane was NOT going to hit Houston, as though all of them have degrees in meteorology.

If you are told not to worry, you will not just pick up and leave.

If the local officials had spent more time planning contingencies instead of mocking the Gov., more people may have left. 

That's all I'm going to say without getting into another arena.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh