Honored Contributor

Re: Search and Rescue/Houston will go on into the night

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@Shiloh09 wrote:

Why do people not evacuate? Hard to say...Houston was not hit directly by Harvey. In fact as it was pummeling Rockport and surrounding areas south of here, my neighborhood didn't get a drizzle of rain. We all knew we would get a lot of rain and there would be flooding. The fact is that this storm has moved incredibly slow. The slower it moves the more rain. No one could have predicted this catastrophic amount of water. There was an evacuation ordered ten years ago or so. There were a dozen deaths from accidents and extreme heat on the roads as thousands and thousands of people hit the established evacuation routes. All before the storm even started back then! While new procedures are in place, there are more people living here and more building all the time. This is a 500 year flood which means the possibility of it occurring is .2%----that is point two percent. Finally and unfortunately, not unlike any other places, there are actually people that do not have the means to just leave their home.

Pray for Texas, we have a long recovery ahead not just in Houston, but southeast Texas.

Exactly..limited means, fear of the unknown, inability to help oneself without assistance (someone who is poor, sick and/or disabled).

There is a lot of poverty and need and I think most of us aren't aware of it until we see a natural distaster. 

@Marienkaefer2@Shiloh09  Well said.  It never ceases to amaze me that people think millions of people just getting up and leaving is going to be an easy thing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I read a tweet which said, 

"I can't stop thinking about Katrina survivors who evacuated to Houston and never went back and are reliving h*ll right now."

(my * altering)

I never thought of that about the Katrina transplants, sidsmom!   I hope the rain doesn't end up being as bad as they're predicting. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am NOT HERE to judge anyone for evacuating or not. I am here to offer my prayers to all in the State of Texas and what they are going through.

GOD BLESS THEM ALL (citizens and rescue teams).  This is so heartbreaking.  I will pray as well as donate.

Image result for animated praying

Honored Contributor

I am so proud of my fellow Texans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shiloh09 wrote:

Why do people not evacuate? Hard to say...Houston was not hit directly by Harvey. In fact as it was pummeling Rockport and surrounding areas south of here, my neighborhood didn't get a drizzle of rain. We all knew we would get a lot of rain and there would be flooding. The fact is that this storm has moved incredibly slow. The slower it moves the more rain. No one could have predicted this catastrophic amount of water. There was an evacuation ordered ten years ago or so. There were a dozen deaths from accidents and extreme heat on the roads as thousands and thousands of people hit the established evacuation routes. All before the storm even started back then! While new procedures are in place, there are more people living here and more building all the time. This is a 500 year flood which means the possibility of it occurring is .2%----that is point two percent. Finally and unfortunately, not unlike any other places, there are actually people that do not have the means to just leave their home.

Pray for Texas, we have a long recovery ahead not just in Houston, but southeast Texas.

@Shiloh09

SE Louisiana feels your pain, and will be sending all of the help we can muster.  Houston was there for NOLA in 2005, and we'll all be there for you.  Take care!

Are you sending the Cajun navy?   Those guys are fearless and tireless!

Honored Contributor

HOUSTON - The controlled release of the Barker and Addicks Reservoirs is expected to impact thousands of homes and will make flooding worse in some areas, Harris County Office of Emergency Management said Sunday night.

The water release from Addicks Reservoir will begin at 2 a.m. Monday with Barker to follow 24 hours later, officials stated during a press conference.

Residents along Addicks and Barker Reservoirs are being asked as part of non-mandatory evacuation to leave their homes, as the Corps of Engineers will start a slow, controlled release of water the reservoirs.

Officials told residents not to leave their homes Sunday night. They are being stressed to leave Monday due to uncertain conditions on the roads.

"The idea is to prepare tonight, pack up what you need, put it in your vehicle, then in the morning, they should leave, Jeff Lindner with Harris County Office of Emergency Management said.

The controlled release is expected to impact thousands of homes. The rising water situation could put too much pressure on the dams if the water is not released not.

"That is something you don't want to happen. You don't want to have an uncontrolled problem at the dam," Lindner added.

Additionally, the controlled release will make the Buffalo Bayou flooding even worse. Officials have put out maps to show the people who need to get to higher ground.

This is the first time officials have done a release while it is still raining.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Since we know about hurricanes a week or more in advance, why is there such a need for search and rescue?

The way to be safe is to leave the area before the hurricane hits.  The track of it and information is on the airwaves 24/7 for days. 

Here in Illinois, we have tornadoes from time to time.  If we're lucky, we get a couple of minutes to seek safety.

Why does this happen with every hurricane?  Everyone knows it's coming.  You can't stop all property damage, but why are lives in danger?

Hyacinth

Your judgmental attitude is rude and insensitve.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Since we know about hurricanes a week or more in advance, why is there such a need for search and rescue?

The way to be safe is to leave the area before the hurricane hits.  The track of it and information is on the airwaves 24/7 for days. 

Here in Illinois, we have tornadoes from time to time.  If we're lucky, we get a couple of minutes to seek safety.

Why does this happen with every hurricane?  Everyone knows it's coming.  You can't stop all property damage, but why are lives in danger?

Hyacinth

Your judgmental attitude is rude and insensitve.

@softwareEveryone is an armchair FEMA director.  Sheesh. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@software thank you for mentioning the Cajun Navy!  There have been so many mentions of their mobilizing but because some photos were from last year it's tough to post in order to ensure the information is current.  God bless them and all they do and I know we will have many terrific photos of their efforts very soon!

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@hyacinth003 I know I may be speaking out of turn here but I think many folks that don't evacuate simply cannot afford to.  Either they don't have their own means to leave the area or they have jobs that may or may not be impacted with the coming storm based on how the storm ultimately breaks.  It's a heartbreaking decision for them as if they leave and the storm decimates their area they made the right decision but if the storm suddenly changes course as they often do and their area is untouched they have left their job behind and quite possibly may not be welcome back as there are others that can quickly take their place.  My heart just breaks for all that are impacted by this.

Yes, I was thinking the same.  People have jobs, they have children in school, some own businesses.  You can't just pick up a week ahead of time when you hear a storm is coming and get out. 

I don't understand how some people think sometimes.

Particularly when this can happen multiple times in one hurricane season.  I say this as a veteran of multiple evacuations over the years.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett