Honored Contributor

Sealing Copper And Brass Jewelry

I have a really cute copper and brass tag for my dog.  The problem is that I have to polish it about twice a week.  Is there a way I can seal this so that I don't have to polish it?  I've Googled it and Renaissance Wax keeps coming up.  It seems like that would last for a little while.  You can't buy a very small amount though.  What I found on Amazon is close to $14, which would be okay if this is the best choice.  I thought some of you might know what to use that isn't too complicated or expensive.  Thank you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Sealing Copper And Brass Jewelry

Clear nail polish?  Maybe try it on a tiny spot first to see what it does and how it holds up.

Frequent Contributor

I have an old brass soap dish on a stand that would continually have to be cleaned of tarnish.  I found some clear matte finish by Krylon in a spray can. So far it has helped retard the tarnish.  Walmart should have it.  It would be an inexpensive try.

Honored Contributor

If you put a clear varnish sealer like nail polish it will wear off unevenly and will still tarnish but you won't be able to polish it unless you completely remove the varnish first.  I think brass and copper are both completely unsatisfactory for use in jewelry types of items.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Clear nail polish?  Maybe try it on a tiny spot first to see what it does and how it holds up.

Thanks for the suggestion Celtic Crafter.  One of my friends suggested clear nail polish to me.  I think I would be afraid that the nail polish would chip off and I couldn't remove it all with fingernail polish remover.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@southres wrote:

I have an old brass soap dish on a stand that would continually have to be cleaned of tarnish.  I found some clear matte finish by Krylon in a spray can. So far it has helped retard the tarnish.  Walmart should have it.  It would be an inexpensive try.

Thanks for the suggestion @southres.  I just looked up Krylon on Amazon.  Several people said that it remained tacky even after several days of drying time.  Did you find that to be true?  Something like this is what I was thinking might work.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I have a really cute copper and brass tag for my dog.  The problem is that I have to polish it about twice a week.  Is there a way I can seal this so that I don't have to polish it?  I've Googled it and Renaissance Wax keeps coming up.  It seems like that would last for a little while.  You can't buy a very small amount though.  What I found on Amazon is close to $14, which would be okay if this is the best choice.  I thought some of you might know what to use that isn't too complicated or expensive.  Thank you.

@Nicknack wrote:

Before buying it at Amazon (where it's priced well & you'll have the extra for future use), check Ebay, Etsy, and Artfire.

What's your adorable Frenchie's name, BTW?

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

Before buying it at Amazon (where it's priced well & you'll have the extra for future use), check Ebay, Etsy, and Artfire.

@feline groovy, thanks for the suggestion for checking the other websites.  I'll do that.  My Frenchie's name is Frankie.  She will be four years old this month.  She is such a delight to be around.  Smiley Surprised)

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy, thanks for the suggestion for checking the other websites.  I'll do that.  My Frenchie's name is Frankie.  She will be four years old this month.  She is such a delight to be around.  Smiley Surprised)

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy, thanks for the suggestion for checking the other websites.  I'll do that.  My Frenchie's name is Frankie.  She will be four years old this month.  She is a such a delght to be around.  Smiley Surprised)

That really fits her, NN...  great name for this cutie!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy, thanks for the suggestion for checking the other websites.  I'll do that.  My Frenchie's name is Frankie.  She will be four years old this month.  She is a such a delght to be around.  Smiley Surprised)

That really fits her, NN...  great name for this cutie!  Smiley Happy

Thank you feline groovy. Smiley Happy

-Henry David Thoreau