Honored Contributor

Seafood sustainability rankings of supermarkets

As rated by Greenpeace, details here:

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/2018-supermarket-seafood-ranking/

I don't know about the rest of you, but over half of these names I am not at all familiar with.

Whole Foods

Hy-Vee

Aldi

Target

Giant Eagle

Wegman's

Albertson's

Sprouts

Ahold Delhaize

Meijer

Kroger

Super Valu

Walmart

Trader Joe's

Costco

Southeastern Grocer

Publix

Winco

HEB

Price Chopper

CRITERIA:

• POLICY

Does the supermarket have a public sustainable seafood policy that covers all of its seafood procurement? Does it clearly define and enforce its rigorous standards with its suppliers to avoid unsustainable and unethical seafood?

• INITIATIVES

How does the supermarket advocate with decision makers, NGOs, scientists, and its seafood suppliers to protect ocean health and seafood workers’ rights? Does it avoid destructively harvested seafood, address the illegal fishing and human rights risks linked to transshipment at sea, and work to phase out single-use plastics?

• TRANSPARENCY

How does the supermarket communicate with its customers and the public its sustainable seafood standards and key data about its seafood (e.g., catch method, sustainability status) that enables customers to make informed decisions?

• INVENTORY

What species of seafood does the supermarket sell? Is it harvested by destructive fishing or farming methods? Is it red listed according to the Seafood Watch recommendations?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Seafood sustainability rankings of supermarkets

Except for Southeastern Grocer, I've heard of all of them. Some are not the name of the store (say, Target, for example) but the name of the corporation that  owns stores on this list (and others) and is located in another country.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach

HEB-- is our main grocer in our town and most of South Texas.  They undercut prices and ran the majority of national chains out of town----

They wont even respond to various local customer complaints  ---let alone a survey from a non-profit environmental organization.  So the --DID NOT RESPOND is no surprise for HEB.............

I bet Green Peace would laugh at HEB's commercial they do for their Seafood Dept.......

Now we do still have:

Target

Walmart

Trader Joes

Costco

Sprouts

Whole Foods

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach

The reason you might not know of some of these stores is because they are within a locale other than where you live. I know of most on the list. 

Trusted Contributor

I think it is better to buy from a dependable, honest, local fishmonger.  Beyond any “sustainability” issues are storage, temperature, and food safety concerns throughout chain of distribution.   

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@GingerPeach

The reason you might not know of some of these stores is because they are within a locale other than where you live. I know of most on the list. 

Hi @this is my nic

Yes, that is my understanding as well.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@GingerPeach

HEB-- is our main grocer in our town and most of South Texas.  They undercut prices and ran the majority of national chains out of town----

They wont even respond to various local customer complaints  ---let alone a survey from a non-profit environmental organization.  So the --DID NOT RESPOND is no surprise for HEB.............

I bet Green Peace would laugh at HEB's commercial they do for their Seafood Dept.......

Now we do still have:

Target

Walmart

Trader Joes

Costco

Sprouts

@Spurt  Also have Whole Foods.  It didn't surprise me to see them in the #1 spot.

We do not buy food at H-E-B, just household goods.  I know they didn't respond but GreenPeace still had to have info on them.

How bad is it that Wal-Mart beat them out? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@GingerPeach

Now we do still have:

Target

Walmart

Trader Joes

Costco

Sprouts

@Spurt  Also have Whole Foods.  It didn't surprise me to see them in the #1 spot.

We do not buy food at H-E-B, just household goods.  I know they didn't respond but GreenPeace still had to have info on them.

How bad is it that Wal-Mart beat them out? 

@Cakers3

Oh yeh, forgot about Whole Foods which shows how often i go there...LOL!!!  They do have beautiful produce.

Yep, HEB should be ashamed that Walmart's Seafood Dept beat them out---LOL!!!  I dont even seeing remember seeing seafood at Walmart Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Contributor

@trenet wrote:

I think it is better to buy from a dependable, honest, local fishmonger.  Beyond any “sustainability” issues are storage, temperature, and food safety concerns throughout chain of distribution.   

Thats what we do @trenet.