Honored Contributor

Re: Scotland has become the first country to make menstrual products free

@Carmie wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I heard that in the USA the "little Blue Pill" for men is covered by insurance....but birth control pills for women are not  covered? Is this correct?

Insurance covers most of the cost but I only pay $10 for a three month supply under my ppan, but there are companies like Hobby Lobby who don't provide birth control but do cover ED medicine which is one of the reasons I don't do business there but that's an entirely different thread. 

Medication is covered if there is a medical condition. The blue pill addresses ED which is a medical problem.  Birth Control  pills used to regulate your period would be covered as well.

If your coverage does not cover birth control, it would not cover any form, but many drugs have a dual purpose.  

The same goes for skin medications.  One cream might be prescribed for acne. This drug might work on wrinkles too.  Insurance would only cover it if you have acne and not for cosmetic reasons.

I don't understand your refusal to do business with a company that doesn't cover birth control for man or for woman, but will cover medically necessary meds.

I'm not asking you to. 

Esteemed Contributor

The religious overtones within this entire thread should designate it as violating one of the Forums' most enforced rules and be closed or expunged. (In my view and opinion. )

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Too late, now.   Wonder what I could get "free" instead.....??

@Desertdi ...I was struggling to keep my eyes open and then  I saw THIS, now I'm wide awake.  Good Lord Di, you are a riot.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D   Do you really believe they're free?  Do you believe that manufacturers are doling the products out at no charge?  Do you think Scotland has this pile of cash laying somewhere that can be used for this purpose?  Haven't you ever heard that "there's no such thing as a free lunch"? 

Every person in Scotland is paying for the items through the taxes collected by the government; it's called the welfare state.  I prefer the tax system in the US (as confiscatory as it is) that allows me to keep more of what I earned in my pocket to use as I choose. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I heard that in the USA the "little Blue Pill" for men is covered by insurance....but birth control pills for women are not  covered? Is this correct? 

Depends on the insurance but in some cases yes.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The religious overtones within this entire thread should designate it as violating one of the Forums' most enforced rules and be closed or expunged. (In my view and opinion. )

@Johnnyeager, I usually spot them but missed them here. Could you tell where I can find the religious overtones in this thread?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Insurance covers most of the cost but I only pay $10 for a three month supply under my ppan, but there are companies like Hobby Lobby who don't provide birth control but do cover ED medicine which is one of the reasons I don't do business there but that's an entirely different thread. 

I'm not interested in the kind of products they sell, but if I were, I would shop elsewhere, too  @GenXmuse 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Scotland has a menstrual religion? Never heard of it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

People in Europe pay a lot more taxes than we do here. So it's great when they choose to spend it on things that help make their countries nicer for their citizens to live in.

We don't relate to this and don't understand it for several reasons, 1. we are extremely affluent, proof is that we have internet access and can buy from QVC, 2. many of us are past the age where menstruation is an issue. 3. we are removed from the day to day issues of the homeless and extremely poor.

Do you know what many homeless and extremely poor young women do when they have their periods? They use masses of tp from public restrooms. What do you think happens when they need to change it? It results in plumbing clogs. Much more cost effective and convenient for everyone to make proper hygeine goods readily available to all.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Not only is it civilized to ensure that females in need have access to period products but I will go further to say that this should be true for diapers and adult incontinence products. 

People in need here (and anywhere) deserve the human dignity of having these products in the richest country in the world, if we still are or not. It would be as simple as issuing a card that covers any such item in that category for anyone, male or female, with an income of xxx or below.

I have to add though, I wish there was a return to using cloth diapers, my personal view about the expense of paper diapers  and their impact on the environment.

Any product that is basic to human dignity shouldn't be denied by a ccitizenry that doesn't complain about trips into space, war material that will be outdated before used, or to sell for profit, with the very same tax dollars some people feel so stingy with as if suddenly it's pulled out of their pocket if it's going to someone of little means.