Honored Contributor

Scotland has become the first country to make menstrual products free

[ Edited ]

Scotland passed a bill that will make tampons and sanitary napkins free for all. Schools and colleges must make these products freely available. The bill is called The Period Products Free Provision Bill.  Two years ago the county began providing the products for free in colleges and other schools. Now the products are free for anyone that needs them. Local authorities must provide the items and make them free.Toilet paper has already been required there. I don't think the U.S. has any legislation when it comes to toilet paper requirements by law. If you know of any law or ordinance let us know.

11/26 Edited to add the bill. There's nothing in the bill which explains how it will be funded.

https://beta.parliament.scot/-/media/files/legislation/bills/current-bills/period-products-free-prov...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Scotland has become the first coipuntry to make menstrual products free

Nice. That's wonderful.  Where I live we pay tax on them. Razors also. Men's razors are not taxed.  Do you think that will happen in the USA? I hope so but profits are number one. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Scotland has become the first country to make menstrual products free

@Mindy D wrote:

Scotland passed a bill that will make tampons and sanitary napkins free for all. Schools and colleges must make these products freely available. The bill is called The Period Products Free Provision Bill.  Two years ago the county began providing the products for free in colleges and other schools. Now the products are free for anyone that needs them. Local authorities must provide the items and make them free.Toilet paper has already been required there. I don't think the U.S. has any legislation when it comes to toilet paper requirements by law. If you know of any law or ordinance let us know.

The city of Providence, RI made these products free in the city school system. I don't know if the policy still stands.

Respected Contributor

Nothing is free. Someone is paying for it.

Honored Contributor

Too late, now.   Wonder what I could get "free" instead.....??

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Everyone in Scotland is paying for them...NOTHING is free.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Nothing is free. Someone is paying for it.

That I would be glad to pay for.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I think this is a personal expense that should be purchased individually.  All of us would be paying for them in some way.  Life isn't a free ride, at least mine hasn't been.  

As for toilet paper, OSHA requires bathrooms in every facility, but toilet paper isn't mentioned.  I think it goes with the territory.  

Trusted Contributor

@godi wrote:

Nice. That's wonderful.  Where I live we pay tax on them. Razors also. Men's razors are not taxed.  Do you think that will happen in the USA? I hope so but profits are number one. 

"Women's" razors are taxed, but not "men's"?  I thought that would be illegal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hopefully, it's not government issued. You could end up with scratchy tampons and those old pillow sized pads. Lol