Super Contributor

Talk about a bad week for UA:

A creature that appeared to be a scorpion fell from an overhead bin and stung a man on a United Airlines flight, the company confirmed to CNBC on Thursday.

According to multiple reports, passenger Richard Bell was on a United flight from Houston to Calgary on Sunday, when the creature fell from an overhead bin and stung him.

United told CNBC the airline crew immediately consulted with a physician on the ground who provided guidance throughout the incident. The company said the man's injuries were non-life threatening.

"Medical personnel met the aircraft after it arrived in Calgary," United spokesman Charles Hobart told CNBC.

Honored Contributor

Re: Scorpion Fell On His Head

When it rains...

Honored Contributor

What's the best way to kill a scorpion?  Step on it?  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is going off topic.

Super Contributor

Hopefully, the passenger wasn't Canadian. This could become an international incident 🙃🙃🤓🤓

I highly doubt they have Scorpions in Calgary. It can get brutally cold there! 

Yikearoodles😈If a Scorpion landed on my head- I'm afraid they would have needed to land at the nearest airport, to get medical attention, for my heart attack!  I hate bugs!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is going off topic.

Honored Contributor

@Suhse wrote:

Hopefully, the passenger wasn't Canadian. This could become an international incident 🙃🙃🤓🤓

I highly doubt they have Scorpions in Calgary. It can get brutally cold there! 

Yikearoodles😈If a Scorpion landed on my head- I'm afraid they would have needed to land at the nearest airport, to get medical attention, for my heart attack!  I hate bugs!

I can definitely tell you they have small scorpions in Houston.  Their sting is about as painful and serious as a bee sting.  It could have easily hitched a ride on somebody's luggage. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

That airline needs better passengers!  

And every airline needs to check their procedures for taking passengers off their planes.  It's not only United that has crazies flying with them -  it's scary to be captive on a plane as a fellow passenger.

____

I actually feel kind of left out.   I've never come close to having a problem on a flight. Most of my flying, these days, is on short regional flights, on Alaska. 

Other than the planes being props and quite cramped, no problems.  The Bombardier's seem to fly quite smoothly. The ground and plane staff are friendly and helpful.

I've long wanted to fly on Jet Blue. They seem to get some interesting situations. Alas, my home airport isn't a major hub and JB doesn't fly in. 

Honored Contributor

"According to multiple reports, passenger Richard Bell was on a United flight from Houston to Calgary on Sunday, when the creature fell from an overhead bin and stung him."

What really happened....

"Richard and Linda Bell were on the flight when a scorpion fell from an overhead bin onto Richard's head. He dropped it on his plate, then picked it up again. That's when the scorpion struck and bit him.
The animal, likely a stowaway from another passenger, was then stomped on and thrown in the toilet.
Emergency services were called in, but Bell was reportedly not in distress. He declined medical treatment."

FULL ARTICLE LINK

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suhse wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

That airline needs better passengers!  

And every airline needs to check their procedures for taking passengers off their planes.  It's not only United that has crazies flying with them -  it's scary to be captive on a plane as a fellow passenger.

____

I actually feel kind of left out.   I've never come close to having a problem on a flight. Most of my flying, these days, is on short regional flights, on Alaska. 

Other than the planes being props and quite cramped, no problems.  The Bombardier's seem to fly quite smoothly. The ground and plane staff are friendly and helpful.

I've long wanted to fly on Jet Blue. They seem to get some interesting situations. Alas, my home airport isn't a major hub and JB doesn't fly in. 

@Suhse   My sister and I flew on Alaska in 1992, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  The plane was beautifully decorated and they served a wonderful meal with wine (not first class).  The day we flew over Mt. McKinley was crystal clear, very unusual, so the pilot diverted the plane, a big airliner, and did a low figure 8 over the mountain so we could get a good look.  Highpoint of our trip; I'll never forget it.  Even the flight attendants were gwalking. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment