Honored Contributor

Re: Scorching Heat Dome Over Middle East: 165 F In Iran

Sometimes it seems insipid to give a "heart" to a post on a thread like this that concerns something of global importance and that affects so many all at once (yes, evil and good all under the same sky).

But I give a heart anyway because some important points were made.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@emma bunting wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Maybe God is giving ISIS and company a taste of hell!Man Very Happy

I wondered who would be the first to say something this insensitive. There are millions of people and animals affected by this heat and all you can think about is an evil few?

I don't believe in any God who has the unfortunately human trait of vindictiveness.

Pretty sure it was said kind of tongue in cheek to make a statement about how evil Isis is. You do think they're evil....don't you? 

Why do so many seem to always be on the lookout to be offended I wonder?

I don't know. Maybe you can answer that as it took a bit of searching to find my post and then  make sure to lecture me about it.  

Cat Wink

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Here's a brief but fascinating look at climate and temperatures through the ages:

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

Glad I wasn't around in dinosaur times though!  Ha ha!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, sooner!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@emma bunting wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Maybe God is giving ISIS and company a taste of hell!Man Very Happy

I wondered who would be the first to say something this insensitive. There are millions of people and animals affected by this heat and all you can think about is an evil few?

I don't believe in any God who has the unfortunately human trait of vindictiveness.

Pretty sure it was said kind of tongue in cheek to make a statement about how evil Isis is. You do think they're evil....don't you? 

Why do so many seem to always be on the lookout to be offended I wonder?

I don't know. Maybe you can answer that as it took a bit of searching to find my post and then  make sure to lecture me about it.  

Cat Wink

What makes you think I had to "search " for your post? It was right here on the first page of a thread I was reading. What a strange comment to make * puzzled face*. Anywho......not lecturing. Just clarifying what I thought the poster really meant as I disagreed with your statement that she was being insensitive. *  insert neutral merely disagreeing face *

Honored Contributor

I've been sharing reports here for several years which map ocean warming.  It's been recently discovered that the warming has occurred for about 35 years, longer than we knew previously.

The effects can be disastrous and already are. 

Just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak:

"Many weather experts say we are already seeing the effects of higher ocean temperatures in the form of stronger and more frequent tropical storms and hurricanes/cyclones. Warmer surface water dissipates more readily into vapor, making it easier for small ocean storms to escalate into larger, more powerful systems.

These stronger storms can increase damage to human structures when they make landfall. They can also harm marine ecosystems like coral reefs and kelp forests. And an increase in storm frequency means less time for these sensitive habitats to recover."

National Geographic

http://ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/critical-issues-sea-temperature-rise/

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I remember back in the 197o's when environmentalists went bezerk and were in an alarm about the cloud seeding.  They just shouted it was wrong just to be mouthing off.  We develop technology and we make strides in learning things to make all our lives easier.  The cloud seeding back then was because it was a critical move due to a critical situation.  We didn't just roll over and whine and suffer. 

Well, they got the practice to stop and now where are we?  I don't know about a dome over So CA as I've lived here all my life.  We have warm to hot weather but that's natural for us especially now in the Summer months.

Don't know about Iran nor do I have much sympathy or concern for them. 

Hi LR, well, I don't know how you've missed it.  In Northern CA we've been hearing about the pressure dome of heat for probably two years now.

It's cited as the reason we are having a drought.  Because of the high ridge of pressure, we aren't getting rain to any degree, it's being pushed to the East Cost. 

Rain cleans our air, and because there really is none to speak of up here, those of us with asthma and other breathing problems are in trouble, not to mention our agriculture is suffering.

Hi Noel.  We have a drought and we have heat now and what is usual.  We are limited in our water usage but no, haven't heard of the heat dome and why it's caused our drought.  Every warm weather season, we get reminded to use less electricity whether there is a drought or heat dome or whatever.  I can't get too alarmed just yet. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I remember back in the 197o's when environmentalists went bezerk and were in an alarm about the cloud seeding.  They just shouted it was wrong just to be mouthing off.  We develop technology and we make strides in learning things to make all our lives easier.  The cloud seeding back then was because it was a critical move due to a critical situation.  We didn't just roll over and whine and suffer. 

Well, they got the practice to stop and now where are we?  I don't know about a dome over So CA as I've lived here all my life.  We have warm to hot weather but that's natural for us especially now in the Summer months.

Don't know about Iran nor do I have much sympathy or concern for them. 

Hi LR, well, I don't know how you've missed it.  In Northern CA we've been hearing about the pressure dome of heat for probably two years now.

It's cited as the reason we are having a drought.  Because of the high ridge of pressure, we aren't getting rain to any degree, it's being pushed to the East Cost. 

Rain cleans our air, and because there really is none to speak of up here, those of us with asthma and other breathing problems are in trouble, not to mention our agriculture is suffering.

Hi Noel.  We have a drought and we have heat now and what is usual.  We are limited in our water usage but no, haven't heard of the heat dome and why it's caused our drought.  Every warm weather season, we get reminded to use less electricity whether there is a drought or heat dome or whatever.  I can't get too alarmed just yet. 

Hi LR, unfortunately, that is not true, the drought is not usual.  We've had several periods of drought over the past several decades, but not like this.  This is the worst drought for California in 1200 years, also reported quite frequently.

I'm surprised Southern California doesn't get the in-depth weather reports we've been getting up here.  It certainly helps to understand what's going on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

California Is In The Middle Of Its Worst Drought In 1,200 Years

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/09/doing-something-about-the-drought_n_7000126.html

Honored Contributor

THe problem with all of this is that 1200 years is nothing in the scope of the Earth's time and weather patterns and cycles.   The problem is that the weather patterns change no matter what people do or don't do.  Just look back and see through geologic time--ice ages, sudden warmings, ice caps grow and retreat, etc.   It is scary when you think about it.  Species adapt or don't; species become extinct etc.  Sometimes I wonder if DNA doen't just "over copy" itself and can't carry on. . .