Honored Contributor

Re: Scientist warns about antibacterial soaps

Thanks, HomeGirl.  Good to know that the alcohol-based sanitizers are in a different category (from anti-bacterial soaps).   I use the hand sanitizers in my car when I'm 'out and about', and Ivory Bar Soap at home.  Haven't used actual anti-bacterial liquid soaps in ages.  Not crazy about the various fragrances. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

JenniferJupiter:  Thanks!  Thank goodness and my lucky stars that I haven't been (visiting and/or otherwise) in a hospital in years.  So, I really can't say what they're doing around here right now.  Let's all hope for the best for all concerned. Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my stepmom was having her mastectomy a couple years ago it was mentioned that she should shower the morning before surgery with Dial soap because it contains Triclosan.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, Dial Bar Soap.  It was recommended by a Doc when I was a youngster.  Funny, I haven't thought about Dial in all these years. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't buy anti bacterial soaps but really it seems everything is bad for us! I worry more about pollution and the destroying of our earth. I will say this, I do however use hand sanitizer every time I leave the Dr. and stores. I haven't been sick with colds, bronchitis, or the flu in years (fingers crossed!).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Prior to my husband's total hip replacement a few weeks ago, he bathed from his neck down with Hibiclens for 5 days.  When I was a teenager I developed a staph infection and had to use Gold dial soap and Phisoderm.  I still use gold dial and when we travel, especially DisneyWorld, we are constantly scrubbing our hands and try to not touch things and if we do do not touch our faces but the sickest we've ever been was from Disney.   No disrespect but I'd love to see parents keep their children home if they have a cold or runny nose and pay attention to their hand habits.. ewhhhhh

Anywho, while husband was in hospital each person that entered his room sanitized their hands.  I guess the medical in me, which I was taught about hand cleansing, has stuck over these many years.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If we're worried about "pollution and destroying our earth", I guess we have to be worried about destroying all the good natural bacteria and stop waging war on them, as the article mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

I haven't picked up any virus or infection in years, either, and I don't even get close to any antibacterial soaps or hand sanitizers that I know of. 

The prospect of destroying all the "good" germs in our environment seems very ominous.  My husband lost his healthy 30-something nephew to a drug-resistant staph infection that killed the young man within a week of  when he first began exhibiting signs of illness.  And that was after an aggressive treatment effort at one of the premier university hospitals in the U.S.  The doctors finally had to give up and pull the plug on his life-support.

Honored Contributor

There are plenty of articles available, both in print and on the web, about exposing children to more "germs" so they can develop immunities.  People won't develop immunities to things they've never been exposed to.

Just be judicious, like with everything else.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Immunity is one of the silver linings of catching every illness that goes around when kids are young and begin to circulate in larger groups and environments.  Even when my kids were young about 30 years ago, many pediatricians were becoming hesitant to prescribe antibiotics for every little thing for fear of promoting germ mutation.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

What about hand sanitizer--anti-bacterial gel?  I use that all the time.

=======================

I believe that HomeGirl said that if it's alcohol based, it's o.k. (regarding whatever is bad about the other types/anti-bacterial soaps/etc.).