Honored Contributor

I work at a university.  Favorite time is upon me.  No not because Christmas (am not even Christian) but the time off from work.  Our first day was half a day last Thursday.   And Then the parties that proceeded that. Won't be back till the day after New Years.  Schools know how to party!

I doubt I ever will stop working at one.  I've stayed at university since I graduated.  I never left. Love the atmosphere, interesting people, courses to take for free.  And my child will go there for free (so long as he's accepted of course) Great medical benefits, so so dental, but hey, can't have everything.  There is a a tendency to leave the real world behind (that ivy tower kind of thing) but it's a wonderful place to work.  Have made good friends and wonderful group that I work with.

Honored Contributor

Re: Schools know how to party!

[ Edited ]

Yes, indeed.  It's nice when you find your place in the work world.  The place you were meant to be, the career you were meant to have.  For me, it has been healthcare.  I actually stumbled onto my field, I though I wanted to become a nurse when I was in high school and then I worked as a nursing assistant the summer after graduation and that was enough to show me that I didn't not have what it took to be a registered nurse.  

So, I had to quickly change course and my college had a Health Information Management major.  I didn't even know that the field existed but it was a perfect match for me.  Science, medicine, statistics, opportunities for growth and advancement.  All these years and I still learn something new every day and I still love it.  

Honored Contributor

I love academia and am always closely aligned with my passion, so I understand your joy .  It is so rewarding when you find that your professional life reflects your authentic nature and interests.  Enjoy your vacation!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked in both fields over the course of my now-retired working life ... academia and health care.  I enjoyed both equally.   My university "shut down" only for students and some faculty ... not all.   Administration offices such as Admissions, Deans' offices, Medical Education,  etc.,  did not close, so I personally did not have the luxury of all that time off until the new year.

And, of course, health care never shuts down ... in fact the pace picks up dramatically during this time of year.  Students, in fact, were/are an integral part of the hopital's training and staffing of new physicians, nurses, and ancillary services.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I love academia and am always closely aligned with my passion, so I understand your joy .  It is so rewarding when you find that your professional life reflects your authentic nature and interests.  Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you! I never became a "civilian"   My father taught Math & Statistics at university.  So it became a natural progression.  Hanging around my father's school since I was a toddler. I work in the library.  Am very slowly working on my Masters (evenings)  and when I do....doubt I would work outside of academia.