Respected Contributor

I know I'm older, but it sure seems schools in my area of Colorado hardly ever put in a full week.  Kids are in school for a few week and take a week off for "fall break". The next week they were in school 4 days.  Teacher "training" day.  My grandkids will go to school this week of Thanksgiving on Monday & Tues.  Winter break will be 2 weeks.  I had the same time off.  After the first of the year, they'll go back to 4 day weeks.  Wonder how much education kids actually get.  

Honored Contributor

My son has been complaining about that too! So many days off for meetings, closing when not holidays etc.It makes it really hard for parents of young school age kids that can't be left alone or even if parents work from home.

But I think some schools do it more than others depending on the county.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@brandiwine    Not enough apparently.  Ignorance in our country is epidemic.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Do they do virtual on day 5 or have longer days for 4 days?

Respected Contributor

Kids in my family are off Wednesday through Sunday--5 days.  Must be tough on working parents.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine   Agree!  I don't have kids or grandkids but it seems to me that because of the pandemic kids have already missed a signficant amount of schooling which I doubt will ever be made up.   Having Christmas breaks, spring breaks, etc., etc. seems crazy to me.

Respected Contributor

My grandniece has gone to school with that schedule since she started. She' now 14 and very educated. However, she starts school in the middle of August whereas I started after Labor Day. She also has some homework during the time she's off. 

Honored Contributor

Re: School "Vacations"

[ Edited ]

I wonder if they are on a "year around" school.

I would contact your state Board Of Education.

They can't be out too much.  They still have to pass benchmark tests and succeed.

Honored Contributor

Our NY schools require 180 days. I also think the same was required in NJ when I went to school in the dark ages.

Respected Contributor

Here 180 days of classroom instruction is required, so it is half the year for a 7 hour day. 1260 classroom hours and lots of homework. Rule of thumb is 1 hour in class and 3 hours outside of class working on assignments.