Respected Contributor

I am a speech pathologist who works with preschool special education students in a Northern Delaware school district.  My job is to evaluate children to determine if they are eligible for special education services.  We are doing in person evaluations this summer starting 6/29 but we have yet to be told the protocol for conducting these evaluations.  The state has set up a task force comprised of school district administrators, teachers and parents to determine what school will look like in the fall.  They are considering in person, virtual and a hybrid of in person and virtual learning.  They will present their plan the second week in July.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Our school district sent out an email that there are 3 scenarios they are considering:

1.  All students and staff will report in our traditional face to face structure for instructions and work with modified social distaning and cleaning practices in place.

2.  Due to a recurrence or resurgence of COVID 19, the district will remain in remote learning and remote work environment until clearance is given by public health officials.

3. Schools will adopt a new model for ongoing instruction and work that includes a blend of remote and in person instruction.

There has been talk on the news that other things discussed were;
Kids stay in one class room all day and teacher rotate.  Including lunch.

Students alternating between one day being at school and then being home so not everyone is on campus at the same time.

Starting the new school year later.

Whatever is decided I think we were told to expect a decision either in June or July because our school year begins around the second week of August.

@ScrapHappy 

These are the same three possibilities being discussed by my parish (county) wide school system.  School starts in early August, so I wouldn't want to be the ones making the final decision.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

I am a speech pathologist who works with preschool special education students in a Northern Delaware school district.  My job is to evaluate children to determine if they are eligible for special education services.  We are doing in person evaluations this summer starting 6/29 but we have yet to be told the protocol for conducting these evaluations.  The state has set up a task force comprised of school district administrators, teachers and parents to determine what school will look like in the fall.  They are considering in person, virtual and a hybrid of in person and virtual learning.  They will present their plan the second week in July.

@ninjawife 

Gee, I can't imagine doing any kind of speech therapy with a mask covering the mouth.  Will you wear a mask to evaluate the children?  This is a really tough situation in which to try to do your job.  Best of luck in the coming school year!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

We live in N.AZ and went to S.CA to "rescue" our grands on Mar 18th.  Our problem is: do kids go back to CA when school starts or do they go to school here this year? Neither state will divulge their plans until mid July.  Therefore, we don't have much time to contemplate our decision (possibly requesting transcripts, etc).  How will schools even know what sort of starting they will need/have; evidently some districts are counting on many parents opting out (remote learning, home schooling, online state school or???).  I'm surprised that no one has come up with six day schools or adding an extra daily hour so that schools can start/ finish term quickly.  Maybe look for community volunteers as classroom aides or take senior year college education students, graduate them early, give them interim credentials and get them into classrooms.  We are very worried about our grands quality/quantity of education this year ( they will be in 2nd, 4th grade).