Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

In RI our governor has announced the same, schools are back in session starting the 31st of August.   I'm glad my kids are grown too but the fact is mine are more at risk working out there everyday.  These kids, IMO, need to get back to some structure and normalcy.  I know how serious this matter is but I feel and have always felt we have to be cautious but we cannot stop living our lives.  Keep up hopes for a vaccine soon!

I agree. Not all children are in safe happy homes and those kids are so much better off in school where people are looking out for them. 

SO many students also do not have the technology for on line learning or a support structure at home. Just further divides those who have the means and those who do not.  How many children got left behind with these shutdowns so far.

Or worse some are being abused and neglected during all these school closures. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom 

Aren't COVID cases spiking in Alabama?

@Hoovermom wrote:

University of Alabama is opening up the second semester of summer school on campus and will resume classes in the Fall the same way.  Also I have seen the schedule for the towns around here for school starting in August.  Glad to see it....

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Hoovermom 

Aren't COVID cases spiking in Alabama?

@Hoovermom wrote:

University of Alabama is opening up the second semester of summer school on campus and will resume classes in the Fall the same way.  Also I have seen the schedule for the towns around here for school starting in August.  Glad to see it....

@shoesnbags :  Any death/hospitalization is awful...but our numbers are not spiking.  Go to Covid tracking dot com and you can see each state day by day.  Alabama had 2,259 hospitalizations on June 15 with a total of (horrible) 774 deaths vs. 2,054 hospitalizations on June 8 with a total of (horrible) 718 deaths for the whole state.  Yes, we mourn all those of our neighbors/friends who have succumbed to this horrible virus, but we are not spiking.   Our population is 4-5,000,000 citizens.

Respected Contributor

Our school district sent out an email that there are 3 scenarios they are considering:

1.  All students and staff will report in our traditional face to face structure for instructions and work with modified social distaning and cleaning practices in place.

2.  Due to a recurrence or resurgence of COVID 19, the district will remain in remote learning and remote work environment until clearance is given by public health officials.

3. Schools will adopt a new model for ongoing instruction and work that includes a blend of remote and in person instruction.

There has been talk on the news that other things discussed were;
Kids stay in one class room all day and teacher rotate.  Including lunch.

Students alternating between one day being at school and then being home so not everyone is on campus at the same time.

Starting the new school year later.

Whatever is decided I think we were told to expect a decision either in June or July because our school year begins around the second week of August.

Honored Contributor

My alma mater, UCLA, has just announced almost all classes will be online.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

So my niece will be going into her 3rd year of the Nursing program at Longwood University in VA; here is what they have posted about the Fall Semester:

WHAT WILL FALL LOOK LIKE?

Longwood will open as normally scheduled this fall, with additional safety measures in place based on state and federal guidance. Here is an overview of what the fall semester will look like.

Highlights include:

• Normally scheduled start of classes on Aug. 24
  • In-person classes following social distancing practices
  • Minor changes to the academic calendar allowing students to finish in-person classes by Thanksgiving break
  • Increased cleaning measures across campus, especially in residence halls

I do know one of the big things with her was not being able to do Lab classes when it went to all online classes (kinda important when studing Nursing).

Respected Contributor

I work as a Kindergarten Aide in a public school. I do know they are going to start school in the fall here. The state Dept of Ed has given some scenarios and will leave it up to each county to decide. One is a 4 day week for elementary and 2-3 day week for middle and HS. We have the same problem here with technology and living in a rural area. I have a few questions about some things which may or may not get answered. 

They have said that the kids will eat lunch in the classrooms?? So will there not be recess? It’s very important physically, emotionally, socially and for some mentally needed for kids to play and exercise, etc. We know that lunch makes up a lot of their social interaction as well as recess. Now, I’m not doubting the plan to keep the kids safe, so please don’t take it that way. There are educational laws pertaining to elementary and recess because it is important for their overall health. 

I wonder what what they did back during the Hong Kong Flu and such? I was not alive at that time. Did they ever get a vaccine for that? 

There will be concerns and they will will get worked out as we go. People talk about giving parents a “stipend” for choosing to home school their kids, but school systems are already financially dependent on tax dollars and the fed and state governments. The money is gonna run out if we don’t get up and running with our economy like before. They are giving each household in my state, with school aged kids, a pre loaded “food card” with over $300 to help feed them this summer. Are they gonna expect that every summer? Again, I’m not saying we shouldn’t. I just don’t know........ about a lot of things. 😔😔

Honored Contributor

Yes, @wvumountiefan, there was a vaccine for the Hong Kong flu.

The health of the students, faculty, and all with whom they have contact should be the first priority.

I think It's wonderful that they are helping with lunch, and I wouldn't worry about the future of such a gesture.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Looks like the State University will be opening for classes in August, one week earlier than usual.  

We still don't know about the public schools in my county.  I have a few dance teacher friends and they don't know what the heck is going to happen.  "Discussions" were just announced yesterday.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Looks like the State University will be opening for classes in August, one week earlier than usual.  

We still don't know about the public schools in my county.  I have a few dance teacher friends and they don't know what the heck is going to happen.  "Discussions" were just announced yesterday.

@QueenDanceALot,  I don't think that LAUSD (Los angeles) has said yet what they're doing other than giving a date when school will start. I totally get that it's an overwhelming process, but I feel for those families who need to know what they're facing.