Esteemed Contributor

Re: ETA:Re: School bus crash

I was in the other room, but it sounded to me like a mother of one of the children killed was interviewed and said she had been complaining to the district about the driver.

This is the saddest thing. I can't imagine losing my child in a school bus accident and then it looking as though the driver intended to do it.

Esteemed Contributor

The parents and people of that town should meet at the jail where he's being held and take out the trash. JMO

Respected Contributor

This accident is heartbreaking and sounds like it could have been preventable. 

The school districts need to screen their drivers better from what I've heard. 

My son's old school installed seatbelts years ago.

Praying for the families of all the children! 

Trusted Contributor

@Suhse wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

I know the bus driver was at fault, but when are they going to put seat belts in buses? I remember when we were riding buses to go to school and kids were all over the bus. This should be addressed, those poor kids.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The #1 argument against   seat belts on school buses is COST. Hard to believe isn't it?

Another concern, with seat belts, on school buses, apparently, is the possibility of fire, after an accident. 

Especially, with young children, what if confusion and fear, delayed, dangerously, getting the kids off the bus?  What if some of the little ones, forgot how to operate the belt? 

I'm not sure, realistically, how much of a concern that should be; what the chances are?

It's just such a nightmare!

There are belts on the school buses where I live. I just asked my son if he wears his seatbelt on the bus. His response was "no one does." I asked if he wore it when he was in grammar school and the answer was "the only time anyone wore seatbelts was during the safety drills." I asked him if the drivers made an announcement for the students to wear the belts. He did not remember hearing any announcements to buckle up. To be fair to the driver, I don't know how he/she could possibly tell whether the students are wearing belts. I know with the handicapped children around here it is different as they are on a small bus with an assistant.
Do the math.