Super Contributor

Re: School age kids on vacation during school time

On 9/3/2014 NoelSeven said:

And no, the answer is not merely additional assignments of more of the same.

Teachers in the primary grades have to take extra care with all those additional assignments too . . . even IF a kid is super smart . . . at the age of 6 or 7 it could easily be seen as a punishment to have that "extra work" most of their classmates did not have. We were lucky and had great teachers and the ACE program. They can be brilliant but they are still very young and it must be handled correctly and with sensitivity. KWIM?

Honored Contributor

On 9/3/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Teachers in the primary grades have to take extra care with all those additional assignments too . . . even IF a kid is super smart . . . at the age of 6 or 7 it could easily be seen as a punishment to have that "extra work" most of their classmates did not have. We were lucky and had great teachers and the ACE program. They can be brilliant but they are still very young and it must be handled correctly and with sensitivity. KWIM?

Good point!

And yes, they do have to be handled correctly and with sensitivity. There can also be brilliant kids with learning disabilities in a class, and those kids will need a sensitive teacher to help recognize those students so they can be tested and taught according to their needs.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

We've taken the kids out if school to travel, sports, and various other reasons. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. Kids need to learn how to adapt to different situations and it's always worked out. Timing is everything. I would never have them miss the beginning of the year or during finals or am important project deadline
Super Contributor

On 9/3/2014 puglet1 said:
On 9/3/2014 Cakers1 said:

I don't think anybody here is talking about repeatedly taking their child out of school.

A one time event isn't going make a child fail.

And yes, back in the stone age we were not grouped by ability, so classes like round robin reading always got me in trouble - I'd be pages ahead and then when called on wouldn't know where we were, and I'd be sent off to kneel in the hallway with my rosary beads.

Children do get bored even with grouping today; it's not a matter of "entertaining" but challenging children of all levels of ability. Some are bored because they can't keep up; some are bored because they are ahead, even if grouped with others of comparable abilities.

Nor do I think those who have children who excelled are saying that their children were not "entertained"; we've seen changes in education through the decades that sometimes were for the better and some not so much.

I know you can understand how difficult it is to teach to every individual child in the classroom. It cannot be done, unfortunately. In fact, teachers must teach to the slowest learners in the class. However, boredom should not be an excuse or reason not to attend class. This is another valuable lesson in life IMO. You try to make the best of any situation you are placed in. This is especially valuable once you get into the workplace. How many people can't stand their jobs or are bored with them? Do they cut out or take a break from their job due to boredom?

To NoelSeven, if your child was already in a gifted student class and was still bored, or felt she was smarter than the teacher and that it was a waste of her time, I honestly don't know what the answer is. In a gifted program, there have to be additional assignments that can stimulate the way above average child.

puglet -

Please don't put words in the mouths of others. I didn't see anyone say they took their kids out of class because they were bored. I did say that if they were bored, a day out of school could teach them more than the class the student was in for a day.

I also said nothing about a child, mine or otherwise, feeling she was smarter than a teacher.

I certainly didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth. I simply interpreted your post #87 being your response as to why it was okay for children to miss a day or two of school for reasons like extended vacation (which is the topic of this thread). Since your second sentence followed the first, I took it to mean effect/cause. Sorry if I misinterpreted. Smile

"If someone has a really smart kid, a day or so out of school spent on something worthwhile is better than a day in school.

The really smart kids are often bored in school because it's not challenging enough for them."

Honored Contributor

On 9/3/2014 puglet1 said:

I certainly didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth. I simply interpreted your post #87 being your response as to why it was okay for children to miss a day or two of school for reasons like extended vacation (which is the topic of this thread). Since your second sentence followed the first, I took it to mean effect/cause. Sorry if I misinterpreted. Smile

"If someone has a really smart kid, a day or so out of school spent on something worthwhile is better than a day in school.

The really smart kids are often bored in school because it's not challenging enough for them."

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I couldn't get the quote to copy without getting my response in the quote feature.

Re:

That isn't saying cause and effect, that one takes a child out of school BECAUSE they are bored, but rather that the bright student may well learn more while not in class.

Super Contributor

Sorry, I couldn't get the quote to copy without getting my response in the quote feature.

Re:

That isn't saying cause and effect, that one takes a child out of school BECAUSE they are bored, but rather that the bright student may well learn more while not in class.

I apparently misinterpreted your remark. I would agree it is entirely possible that a bright student may learn more while not in class. However, for the majority of students, I still stand by my opinion that it is important not to miss school days for reasons such as extended vacations, particularly when there is enough time off from school during the year. Smile

Occasional Contributor

I'm a teacher. I think it is really irresponsible to pull your child out of school for ANY reason that is not medically urgent or a true family emergency. And even then, the time should be limited as much as possible.

What many don't realize is this: YES, I can and will send home whatever work the student misses when they are out so that they can make it up. However, the education comes from me. I am the source of the information. I provide the instruction. I explain, give feedback, tutor, implement activities, clear up confusions and much more, during ALL of my lessons. I can't send that stuff home. All I can send is the worksheet I gave the kids that day. That's such a small part of what we actually DID during the day.

If your child is bright or you are a good teacher then your child might be ok academically. HOwever, don't think they aren't missing out. Important things are happening. They are missing things of educational value.

As a teacher, I do not go out of my way for kids who are pulled out of school for frivolous reasons. I will send the work and that is all. I am not obligated, nor do I feel compelled to catch your child up when he/she returns to school. Nor is there time. If you take your kids out of school for vacation be prepared to suffer the consequences in the form of lower grades and/or soliciting outside help to catch up.

And before anyone says what a terrible teacher I must be, please know that I am the highest performing teacher at my school based on the test scores on the state mandated tests given at the end of the year.

Super Contributor

On 9/4/2014 shaina said:

I'm a teacher. I think it is really irresponsible to pull your child out of school for ANY reason that is not medically urgent or a true family emergency. And even then, the time should be limited as much as possible.

What many don't realize is this: YES, I can and will send home whatever work the student misses when they are out so that they can make it up. However, the education comes from me. I am the source of the information. I provide the instruction. I explain, give feedback, tutor, implement activities, clear up confusions and much more, during ALL of my lessons. I can't send that stuff home. All I can send is the worksheet I gave the kids that day. That's such a small part of what we actually DID during the day.

If your child is bright or you are a good teacher then your child might be ok academically. HOwever, don't think they aren't missing out. Important things are happening. They are missing things of educational value.

As a teacher, I do not go out of my way for kids who are pulled out of school for frivolous reasons. I will send the work and that is all. I am not obligated, nor do I feel compelled to catch your child up when he/she returns to school. Nor is there time. If you take your kids out of school for vacation be prepared to suffer the consequences in the form of lower grades and/or soliciting outside help to catch up.

And before anyone says what a terrible teacher I must be, please know that I am the highest performing teacher at my school based on the test scores on the state mandated tests given at the end of the year.

They were just fine. And no, they didn't really miss out. It's also living life. Experiencing life.

180 school days.

Miss 5 days.

They RARELY missed due to being sick. Maybe 5 days in TWELVE years. Fourteen counting Pre-K & K.

They. Survived. And. Thrived.

Since you are a teacher, you just might be a bit biased . . .

We the parents still have the FINAL DECISION. As. It. Should. Be.

Regular Contributor

On 9/2/2014 CrazyDaisy said:

This is why kids do not care about school anymore. Parents do not have respect for the teachers or school, so why should their child. Vacations have become more important than an education.

A neighbor of mine is a vice principal, after years of being an elementary teacher, in the public school system. You know what? She and her husband have taken their kids on vacation during school time. These two parents have also missed their daughter's 8th grade graduation because they were vacationing overseas. This educator took time off for that vacation while school was still in session.

Teachers do it too. They apparently have no respect for schools, other teachers, and the job they are supposed to be doing.