Honored Contributor

Re: School Supply Lists Sure Include Lots of Things

@SahmIam wrote:

This is how it works in my county:

Each school receives a list. What alerted me to the fact that something was odd was ALL elementary schools require different things as well as the NUMBER of how many thing they need of 1 specific item; same in middle and high school. For example, my sons elementary school required 12 glue sticks. A friends' elementary school required 2, another friends' school required 24. Why the difference? Aren't they all teaching the same courses, following the same routine since their public schools? I made a few phone calls because it was the first time a child of mine had attended public (it was private for all of them until then) and didn't understand the wide variety of items being required.

What I found out was schools with the highest number of children coming from Section 8 or lower income asked for the highest number of items in each category so that those that could afford it would comply thereby providing those that brought none with all the supplies they needed for the school year (this came from my local Board of Education).  I found out from my sons' speech therapist (this was back when he was in 3rd grade, he's in 7th now) that all supplies went into a stockroom and ALL teachers had access to it. In essence, I was supplying the school with supplies for them to dole out on an as needed basis to kids whenever they asked for it. Doing some quick math, there was NO way they were using all the supplies so I asked her what happens to the left over supplies. "Oh, staff takes them home for personal use". She was not kidding.

From that year on, I sent my boys to school with JUST what they needed to start out. If they needed 3 extra folders for class, I sent in 3 with their names written on them so only they could use them. Glue sticks? None of my boys have used more than 1 in a school year; I know because I bought the economy pack at Costco that holds 24 and  I have a bunch left. I've talked to friends in PTA and yes, they are aware of the stockpiling and yes, the only send in what their kids need as well as they need/ask for it.

Understand that my county and the PTA do a new backpack filled with ALL the supplies required by the school and hand it out to each child that qualifies for free or discounted meals. So why the need for so many supplies? Do your research people, do your research.

My personal feeling is I don't want kids who have parents that don't/won't/can't make sure they have the necessary supplies to stand out and not have what they need. I don't mind donating extra to make sure some kids who would be left out, aren't left out and stand out as different in yet one more thing in their young lives. 

BUT

A really big part of learning responsibility needs to be that kids are bought or given their own supplies, and need to be accountable for having them, taking care of them, using them correctly, cleaning them up and maintaining them, storing them in their own space (desk, cubby, locker whatever) etc. 

Throwing everything into a big pile where no one is really held responsible for having to take care of and organize their own stuff, only leads to the mentality of entitlement and stuff should be free and everyone has a 'right' to whatever they need, at someone else's expense.

So I love to donate, but don't love the communal aspect of the whole thing, or staff taking the extras. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Wow!  That's a racket.  I have seen these lists for years and can't imagine on some what kids would do with so many crayons and glue sticks and this and that.  I mean do you REALLY need to glue stuff together to get an education? 

It seems that supply lists should be looked at for costs and benefits. . . and parents should know just what they are getting for their money.

Honestly in a school system that is teaching creatively and hands on, art type supplies should be heavy on the list. 

Kids learn so much better when they are creating. Glue sicks are just the beginning of that.

Esteemed Contributor

In our area, some TV stations and others have fund drives to buy backpacks and essential school supplies for children living in poverty.  Often these kids live in inner cities where poverty abounds.  Tapes are shown of youngsters getting their backpacks, and they are so excited, like it were Christmas morning.  It makes you so happy to see this.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  I think my point is either getting lost or not being noticed. I don't mind donating to help those who have a true need. I don't mind if the teacher keeps the extra in their own classroom and gives them out as needed.

I DO mind donating under the GUISE that there is need when there is not. Every single child brings to school the day before it officially starts their supplies and every single child that receives a FREE meal be it breakfast and/or lunch receives a BACKPACK FILLED WITH ALL THE SUPPLIES ON THE LIST. The same list I use to purchase supplies with for my child. There is no need for all the extra supplies. There is no need to supply the teacher with anything because all the kids HAVE what they need.

Using glue sticks as an example:

17 kids in his 3rd grade glass EACH bring in 12 glue sticks (yes, those free backpacks ALSO include 12 glue sticks) equals 204 glue sticks for JUST that classroom. Multiply that by 3 classes per each grade (K-5) and a child using 2 in a school year. That's a LOT of left over glue sticks.

The remainder go home with the staff as does paper, notebooks, pencils, pens, crayons, tissues, etc. ALL of it must be cleared out. 

Now do you see my point/issue?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not sure Op where you live , but we surely don't have 17 students to a class. Like 25-38.

Most of the students are on free lunch here.

Actually, glue sticks are the most used. So a lot are needed.

Teachers buy so much of the supplies/snacks here, so what if they take a couple of glues sticks and paper home. Most of the teachers just save the extra supplies for the next school year, or give them to other classes if they run out.  It seems like a lot of items at the beginning of the school year, but supplies run out fast.

Each grade level knows what they need for class supplies, so it may be different from first to fifth grade. Not all classes share the supplies (communal). If there is extra of course the other students who don't have any will need to use them. Schools generally have supplies in their classrooms donated from parents etc, and the school itself has a supply closet. (donated items/schools budgets it)

Again public schools here do not make these supply lists, mandatory.

Respected Contributor

Just what do you think teachers are doing with any supplies they take home? Unless my kid’s teacher is snorting glue sticks, she’s probably using them for projects for the classroom.

Some of you sound very petty. I’m m glad you’re not part of my child’s village.
Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

i was always told the reason for many school supplies are. The teacher needs extra for the kids that can’t afford to purchase supplies.

the teacher salary only can be stretched so far. They can’t afford to carry a class of 30 or so kids purchasing extra products.

And they shouldn't have to stretch their salary. Given the lofty budgets many school systems are given and the fact that in many jurisdictions they're top heavy with administrators and technology that isn't really essential, maybe they need to create a supply fund instead of expecting teachers and those who 'can' to provide extra supplies. Then too, maybe they need to glean from some of these endless supply lists those things that really are needed and eliminate some of the frills...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I think they ask for so many supplies because they think a lot of kids parents won't.

However, when my dd was in elementary school, I volunteered for her room some. I remember the teacher had put all the glue in a bin and there were so many of those glue bottles and glue sticks, I think they could have lasted years. And no, my daughter didn't bring any home at the end of the year. I seriously don't think her class could have used all that glue.

If I had kids in school now, I'd be happy to buy the supples, if they really needed them, but I think some of these school lists I have seen are over the top. And there are a lot of folks in poverty. It seems like when mine were in school and older it was between 50 and 75 bucks we would spend on each ones chcool supplies, that doesn't count the expensive calculators they needed in high school. I don't know how folks who have 6 or 7 kids and live on a limited income could do it.

And we aren't even talking about back to school clothes and the expensive shoes they need if they are in sports. SAD for the poor kids that can't help it.

Honored Contributor

My company does a backpack drive every year for the local shelter.  I noticed this year that the list no longer contained hand sanitizer, tissues and one red pencil.  These were clearly teacher/classroom items and not specific kid items.

We buy the tissues and hand sanitizer in bulk from a wholesaler and included that in each backpack and brought the remainder to the donation collection site separately to distribute to teachers.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I’m a single mom and don’t find my budget is so tight that I need to fuss about a few glue sticks and notebooks and crayons for kids who may be less blessed than mine.

And that's your choice... But the key word is 'choice'. For schools to try to obfuscate what is really needed to essentially force those who 'can' to provide extra is just shabby... In most cases, those who 'can' are already contributing more when they pay taxes, make donations and so on...

In my area there are often 'campaigns' to donate school supplies sponsored by various retail and other entities... That's fine too because it's a matter of choice, but don't pad the supply list, creating a little supply slush fund... It seems dishonest...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...