Honored Contributor

Re: School Supply Lists Sure Include Lots of Things

No public school here is has said it is mandatory to buy supplies/ more supplies needed then for your own child/children. So where is the problem? You either buy them or not. Any extras the school/students/teachers/parents are grateful for.

Yes , they have donation drives for school  supplies. Also many have them for winter jackets/coats/shoes.

Yes, the school has a budget set aside for teachers (also the office) who need supplies. (not all requests are filled, or they run out in the middle of the school year)

In many schools there is a supply closet (some you have to ask the office for permission, and other supplies teacher/staff can get them)

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
How much money are we talking about? I buy supplies generously every year and have never spent more than $50 or so. It seems like a small investment in my child’s education and in that of his peers.

I’m a forensic accountant and am not interested in following the money trail of a some glue sticks and a fistful of rulers and some filler paper.

But did you ever consider it isn't the actual monetary value of misappropriated things that is the most important issue here?

It is the fact that in some instances people have shared here, they are being lied to and large amounts of excess supplies apparently aren't going to kids who need them (regardless of their economic level) or being used in classrooms, but are being taken home by school staff at the end of the year. 

It is the issue of 'forcing' those who can pay, to pay for more than what is being used and needed. Kind of resembles our tax system. Various levels of government collecting taxes, but since it isn't their personal money, departments spending it excessively or unwisely, or simply self appropriating it. 

And we continue to create an atmosphere where things are just an entitlement in massive quantity, and those using them have no real idea where it came from or respect for the sacrifice taken to provide it. 

I distinctly remember shopping for back to school as a young child. I remember the cost of the supplies at the checkout being taught as not free, but sacrificed for, by doing without other things, and setting priorities. I remember having instilled in me, the caution to take care of them (and any other thing we were lucky enough to have our parents give to us), use them wisely, keep them secure and in good condition. 

There are much bigger lessons and values here than the actual monetary value of the things we are discussing. Responsibility, honesty, integrity, pride, generosity, and trust to name a few.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

My company does a backpack drive every year for the local shelter.  I noticed this year that the list no longer contained hand sanitizer, tissues and one red pencil.  These were clearly teacher/classroom items and not specific kid items.

We buy the tissues and hand sanitizer in bulk from a wholesaler and included that in each backpack and brought the remainder to the donation collection site separately to distribute to teachers.

The students here use tons of sanitizer and tissue, and IMO should still be included.

I am glad your company buys it. Schools do buy hand sanitizer/tissue, but it runs out.

Definitely in those lower grades, the tissue and sanitizer get gobbled up for sure! I'd rather help supply that than have my kid's classroom without!

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Weighing in here as a retired teacher.  In our school, teachers were allowed a set amount of money for ordering supplies needed for the next year.  Orders were submitted by March for next academic year.  The school sent in our orders, received them and distributed them.

We ordered all supplies we deemed necessary for instruction. We ordered pencils, scissors, liquid glue and glue sticks, crayons, construction paper, small composition books, tissue paper, macaroni for art projects, etc. In theory, no one should need to buy anything. We did not buy tissues as they were supplied by the school.

For anyone who doesn’t see where this is going: All items are put out on bid. School buys least expensive items from individual vendors as offered on each bid. So, there were many years we got tape that couldn’t be pulled off the roll, or split as it was being dispensed, scissors that stuck tight and couldn’t be opened by little ones, staplers that constantly jammed, and the worst, IMHO, pencils with graphite NOT in center which meant kids couldn’t effectively sharpen them ( ponder this for a moment and you’ll realize what a disaster this was for elem students, especially young ones, yet we were given these inferior pencils year after year. Grrrrr)

I personally never requested anything from parents. I simply bought my own supplies for my students. But, honestly, I could afford to do that though not all teachers could, especially the single ones, or young teachers early in their career when they were making a pittance. Sometimes I’m sure frustrated students complained to parents who bought better items for their children as evidenced by the nice supplies I saw individual students have in their possession. 

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks for the inside look at this @Kalli

I think too, many of us are looking back at the past and how it was done, and not understanding that all districts aren't following the same game plan and rules of what is provided, what isn't, what level of poverty there is in the district etc. 

Definitely not a one size fits all or similar to past experiences kind of situation.

Respected Contributor

I think some people here are grossly overestimating the amount of supplies wasted, misappropriated, and leftover.

I feel confident teachers are using what they’re given wisely because they sure don’t want to have to ask people like some of you for more in March. I also feel confident that at least one of the extra pencils or glue sticks I sent went to someone’s kid whose parents claimed they only went through one a year.

Yes, it is my choice. I choose to be generous. Judging by this thread, giving with a happy spirit helps me sleep at night rather than fretting about how my child’s teacher is doling out pencils and rationing folders. While my child’s district is in an affluent area, I’m not so foolish to think there are children that for one reason or another may have to go without in their lives. If I can help it, I choose for them to not go without at school. Thankfully, my neighbors seem to agree.
Honored Contributor

I don't agree with teachers having to spend their own money to outfit the classroom with extra supplies unless it's something special they were going to include as a part of a class project.

I don't agree that other parents should have to fund the classrooms with supplies either.

Almost 60% of our property taxes are school tax.  What are they doing with that $.  They need to take a step back and look at the salaries of the superintendents and board members...

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't agree with teachers having to spend their own money to outfit the classroom with extra supplies unless it's something special they were going to include as a part of a class project.

I don't agree that other parents should have to fund the classrooms with supplies either.

Almost 60% of our property taxes are school tax.  What are they doing with that $.  They need to take a step back and look at the salaries of the superintendents and board members...

Exactly...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I think some people here are grossly overestimating the amount of supplies wasted, misappropriated, and leftover.

I feel confident teachers are using what they’re given wisely because they sure don’t want to have to ask people like some of you for more in March. I also feel confident that at least one of the extra pencils or glue sticks I sent went to someone’s kid whose parents claimed they only went through one a year.

Yes, it is my choice. I choose to be generous. Judging by this thread, giving with a happy spirit helps me sleep at night rather than fretting about how my child’s teacher is doling out pencils and rationing folders. While my child’s district is in an affluent area, I’m not so foolish to think there are children that for one reason or another may have to go without in their lives. If I can help it, I choose for them to not go without at school. Thankfully, my neighbors seem to agree.

Let's see... You start out telling us that you're a single mom and don't mind helping those not as 'blessed' as is your child... Then you alert us that you're a forensic accountant and that you live in an affluent areas and so 'unlike some of us', you don't mind being generous... It sounds as though you can afford to be generous... Aside from the judgmental tone, maybe it's worth considering that while all parents in any given classroom receive the same supply list, not everyone can afford to be as generous... Moreover, it isn't about begrudging less affluent children anything, it's about being honest and not padding the list for the benefit of others without saying so...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

I must admit that it used to tick me off a bit that parents would not buy their students the necessary supplies. 

But that is why, right or wrong, I purchased supplies for my students.

I could not take any money either, which I understand.

If I had sent students to the office to call parents to bring supplies...oh no.

Well, if a parent were to send a box of Kleenex (that the whole class would benefit from, I rejoiced!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

No one here has complained they can’t afford supplies, just that they’re not interested in supplying a few extra supplies for children who might otherwise not have them. I’m far less affluent than many of my neighbors and more affluent than some. Nonetheless, I want my child’s teachers to have the necessary supplies to run their classrooms.

Stand on morals and values as an excuse to not fulfill the requested list if it makes you feel better, I stand on my moral values as a reason to fulfill the list and a little extra. My faith is based on loving my neighbors. If I can show some love with school supplies, then that’s what I’ll do.