HIDE

FIGHT

TELL

For those employed, has your employer conducted 

Active Shooter Training?

Honored Contributor

Re: School Shooting in Parkland Florida

@Laura14wrote:

I'm a little in awe of the parents doing interviews with CNN while their children are still hiding in the school closets.  Really?  I know there's not much they can do at the moment but waaaayyy down my list of priorities while my kid is not out of a dangerous situation yet.  

@Laura14  I don't know why any parent or student is interviewed; none are professional people qualified to say anything about this student.  In fact, they had to stop one mother because she started to say the shooter's name.

Great.  Especially if she had the wrong name.

Let the professionals handle him; nobody else should be giving an armchair analysis of anyone else.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Very scary & so sad!  I know someone who lives in Parkland and thank goodness her children are out of school.  Parkland is two towns away from my mom and is a very nice area....bad things can happen in nice communities.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

I'm a little in awe of the parents doing interviews with CNN while their children are still hiding in the school closets.  Really?  I know there's not much they can do at the moment but waaaayyy down my list of priorities while my kid is not out of a dangerous situation yet.  

@Laura14  I don't know why any parent or student is interviewed; none are professional people qualified to say anything about this student.  In fact, they had to stop one mother because she started to say the shooter's name.

Let the professionals handle him; nobody else should be giving an armchair analysis of anyone else.

@Cakers3  They are being interviewed because the news media is desperate for information.  And from what I heard it was just what the scene was.  Nothing about the shooter.

I just don't think it would even be a thought in my head to call CNN when I am outside a school waiting for my kid to come out of the closet where she is hiding and the shooter hasn't been found yet at that point.  CNN had to stop the man from telling them where his daughter was because "shooter is still out there, Dad." 

Really?  

Respected Contributor

@RetRNwrote:

I think that until mental illess is addressed along with drugs and alcohol these outrageous shootings will continue.  Schools and our police seem especially vulnerable and it is heartbreaking. 

Unfortunately, all it takes is an Angry Person or a Person filled with Hate, which does not in and of itself, constitute a mentally ill person.

Honored Contributor

Senator Bill Nelson...there are a number of fatalities. 

Prayers for the families, students and community.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmomwrote:

RUN

HIDE

FIGHT

TELL

For those employed, has your employer conducted 

Active Shooter Training?

@sidsmom  Nope!  And I already had three incidents last year where I had out of control people in my office and literally had to call for help on the last one.  People have lost their minds or need a nice little prescription for Xanax.  

Trusted Contributor

now the suspect is being put on a stretcher n in the ambulance  at least they got the ******

Respected Contributor

Heard 5 minutes ago, that there are still children on the third floor, locked in their room. How horrific for all the kids. How horrific for all of the parents. As other people have said, when will society wake up and do something about gun control, mental illness, safety of our children. I think unfortunately, that there should at least, to say the least, be metal detectors in all schools. Our children are our future. We must protect them! If we don't, what does that say about us as a society?  I pray for everyone effected from this tragedy and all of the tragedies that have occurred. Sooooo sorry, soooo upset. Again, when will it be enough to act and bring forth new legislation? Hold your children close, hug and kiss them tonight, as they go to bed. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@Cakers3wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Cakers3  They are being interviewed because the news media is desperate for information.  And from what I heard it was just what the scene was.  Nothing about the shooter.

I just don't think it would even be a thought in my head to call CNN when I am outside a school waiting for my kid to come out of the closet where she is hiding and the shooter hasn't been found yet at that point.  CNN had to stop the man from telling them where his daughter was because "shooter is still out there, Dad." 

Really?  

@Laura14  I hear you.  However, when this news first broke one reporter was interviewing another male student - what was the shooter like in person etc. etc. etc.

That was not necessary and certainly the student was not qualified to assess another student.

Same with the mother who started to give out the name; it isn't her call to determine who and why this person did what he did.

Still waiting for a definitive toll of deaths and injuries;  what anybody else thinks of this person is not important.

jmoymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh