Honored Contributor

@Porcelain   Someone did that on paper, but in actual reality, not much changed.  I have been viewing school lunches up close for the past 11 years ( grades K to 5)  and the only things that have changed is salt shakers have been removed and they are forced to choose a veggie and a fruit if lunch is free or reduced.  So, they take the canned peaches and toss them.

That didn't do any good.  Now the kids are putting ranch salad dressing on everything to give it some flavor.  They fill up the sections on the trays with condiments and drink them with a straw.. yuck!

Just about everything is processed food.  It is a shame what these kids are being fed.

The school I am at has a lot of foreign born children.  They are poor, but they eat well.  I wish I could just taste the wonderful lunches they bring from home.  They refuse eat the lunches served at school and they are eligible for the free lunch program.  Every once in a while they will " buy" lunch..usually chicken nuggets.  Even they know the food is gross.

I understand at the high school level, the food choices are better...I hope so.

Honored Contributor

Re: School Lunches

[ Edited ]

I'm speechless.  Treat others as you'd want to be treated.  Simple.  The kids are innocent.  

Honored Contributor
Does anyone see the irony in complaining about feeding hungry kids when a group in this country is spending outrageous money hoarding food and toiletries so that the rest who don’t have the ability to do it go without?
Honored Contributor

@sherylsiu wrote:

I was watching the news and they were showing cars in line for free lunch I noticed very expensive SUVs and cars also parents smoking. I have also volunteered in schools and some of the children on free lunch are wearing expensive jackets and tenni shoes.I guess people need to have their priorities straight it's called live within your means and don't expect other people to pay your way.

Where I live because of the coronavirus, the free lunches are for children 18 and under.  Every child..rich or poor.  You can just drive up..kids must be in the car and get a free bagged lunch.  You don't even have to a child in the school district.

Also, some local diners are giving free bagged lunches to kids. Parents are working and not home or have no gas to drive miles to school or whatever can have the kids walk to the diners for food.

I am okay with that.  Many times expensive clothing is second hand hand-me-downs or bought by grandparents.  I don't judge.  Yes, sometime parents are awful and they don't take care of their children properly, but I wouldn't want to punish a child by not feeding them.

My parents fed thousands of people for free in their lifetime.  They owned a restaurant.  We also had homeless people at our dining room table on many occasions.  Some spent the night on our recliners.  I grew up in a family that was passionate about easing suffering whenever they could.  I am proud of that.

Respected Contributor

My only thought on resentments about feeding children who have no discernible means known, are in a line or have some reason to sign on, if you are feeling irritable about that, and you believe in an afterlife, plan on explaining yourself.  What you feel now is none of my business but it seems there will be a reckoning for selfish believers.

Respected Contributor

I'd rather some who don't need the food actually get it than let ANY child go hungry. 

Honored Contributor

Re: School Lunches

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

My only thought on resentments about feeding children who have no discernible means known, are in a line or have some reason to sign on, if you are feeling irritable about that, and you believe in an afterlife, plan on explaining yourself.  What you feel now is none of my business but it seems there will be a reckoning for selfish believers.

@Free2be 

I can see when some are standing at the pearly gates that, when asked about their feelings about this will respond, "Well, I saw a couple of Mercedes and Range Rovers in line for free tuna sandwiches"

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Does anyone see the irony in complaining about feeding hungry kids when a group in this country is spending outrageous money hoarding food and toiletries so that the rest who don’t have the ability to do it go without?

I do. It's hooray for me and the blank with everyone else, as my wonderful Mom used to say. 

There doesn't seem to be a point in this crisis where I have enough, let others have some. 

A society full of people like that rots from within. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:

I do. It's hooray for me and the blank with everyone else, as my wonderful Mom used to say. 

There doesn't seem to be a point in this crisis where I have enough, let others have some. 

@Greeneyedlady21 

I have to believe that there are more of  the other kind, those who feel we are all in this together, and those who want to help those who have less.

I have to believe that.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 

I have to believe that there are more of  the other kind, those who feel we are all in this together, and those who want to help those who have less.

I have to believe that.

I'm right there with you, I have to believe that too. 

Btw I just got back from walking 6.5 miles. Didn't help enough😁

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"