Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

What about grandparents raising children because their adult kids are addicted to drugs and have lost custody of the children? This puts a tremendous financial burden on grandparents.

If a free lunch or take home meal keeps the children from going hungry, I'm all for it.

The United States is one of the most wasteful countries in the world.

@deeva I agree with what you said.  And one way we are so wasteful is that we dole out aid to people who simply scam the system. Aid so often doesn't go where it is needed.  And jobs aren't being found for people able to work and help for them.

Respected Contributor

Re: School Lunches

[ Edited ]

I guess I am perplexed as to what type of cold lunch the schools should be expected to provide these days.

Sure I ate quite a few peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches as a kid.  But today we have all kinds of children out there with peanut allergies.  Have to say I didn't ever know anyone as a child that had a peanut allergy, that is different today. 

One of my favorite things from school lunches as a kid was the no bake cookies.  No way you could serve those in schools today because they are made with peanut butter.

I guess there are luncheon meats, but they are full of preservatives and nitrates which are certainly not nutritious.  I would also think deli sliced meats would be cost prohibitive for many areas to provide those types of sandwhiches for kids.  

And a hot lunch here may consist of a slice of pizza, salad, and fresh fruit. It's not necessarily meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  lol

Guess I just don't see this as a problem or concern. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The rich are taxed on a "pay-as-they-go" basis via sales taxes and excise taxes.  

They own more phone accounts, more electronics, fancier cars, boats, private planes  and pay for more expensive homes, vacations, restaurant meals, booze,  airline tickets, and so on and so on.

The federal and local taxes levied on hotels represents about 10 percent or more of the entire bill.  It's shocking to see it itemized. 

Taxes are higher on luxury cars (or I think they still are)   Property taxes are sky-high in some areas of the country---where I lived, property tax on our former home had reached $11,000 per year by the time we moved away.  All property tax was allocated to schools.  

I think the rich pay their way in taxes in hidden ways.  And the IRS still takes a big chunk in income and capital gains tax.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

If you judge for worthiness before being generous, you can also expect to be judged with the same leniency for your flaws that you showed others. And you are not perfect.

Begrudging children and poor people food makes you look impossibly small. I don't care what your excuses are. It's small and unworthy and you can be far better than that.

Yes, yet no threads about why aren't we taxing the rich? Instead nit-picking a few hot meals given to a hungry child. The very thought of saving a few bucks denying a child a meal hits me as coming from an entitled human being devoid of a heart and soul...

Yes, and in that same vein it angers me to read how the big airlines expect Pres. Trump to give them bailout money of millions  & millions of dollars in the wake of this crisis and he'll do it.  Why should we bail out all these big companies?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's sad but true that some industries must be bailed out, because their products, machinery and skilled labor are essential to our national defense.

Airlines, airplane manufacturers and the auto industry are some that play major roles in that realm.  

That's why the auto industry got its bailout years ago.

Not much different from farm subsidies.......if we let our agricultural industry die, where's our food going to come from?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You still have to send your child to school when you are poor and/or homeless.  Children like adults can't focus when they are hungry.

For many children, the meals they receive at school are the only meals they'll get for the day.

Los Angeles Unified Schools are closed but the School District has designated pick up areas so children in need can still get a meal during the crisis.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There seems to be a mighty compulsion nowdays to provide each child enrolled in public school with a so-called "hot lunch".  I don't quite understand the need for this.  It's the content, not the temperature that provides nutrition.

My parents were quite frugal and only on rare special occasions did I get to buy my lunch.  Mother made my lunch daily which consisted of a sandwich, carrot sticks and a piece of fruit and maybe a cookie. I bought milk. I grew up strong and healthy without any complexes from eating a home-made lunch.  The parents were able to put two kids through college so the sacrifice seems worthwhile.

So why can't parents do this nowdays and why is it so important that taxpayers feed every child?  What's the purpose of Food Stamps if not to feed these kids?  Why can't parents take the responsibility of feeding their own kids?

Just wondering because it seems to be a big deal....

In the couple of years it has harder to qualify for food stamps.  There are many homeless kids that attend public schools, there are kids that the only meal they get is from school.  A lot of jobs are not good paying jobs, Rent is through the roof in some areas.  There is a need to make sure kids are fed.  There are several places where I live that kids can get a free lunch.

There are people that have extra money and they do not have to worry about feeding their kids.  There are people who are working two jobs and cannot make ends meet and they do not qualify for food stamps.  It is a good thing to make sure kids are fed

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

If you judge for worthiness before being generous, you can also expect to be judged with the same leniency for your flaws that you showed others. And you are not perfect.

Begrudging children and poor people food makes you look impossibly small. I don't care what your excuses are. It's small and unworthy and you can be far better than that.

Yes, yet no threads about why aren't we taxing the rich? Instead nit-picking a few hot meals given to a hungry child. The very thought of saving a few bucks denying a child a meal hits me as coming from an entitled human being devoid of a heart and soul...

Yes, and in that same vein it angers me to read how the big airlines expect Pres. Trump to give them bailout money of millions  & millions of dollars in the wake of this crisis and he'll do it.  Why should we bail out all these big companies?

@KKJ It is also entitled to take aid when you don't need it or don't want to work. I think that is a huge problem today.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I remember one guy on tv bragging that he has paid no taxes because when you are rich there are many legal loopholes.

Frequent Contributor

I was watching the news and they were showing cars in line for free lunch I noticed very expensive SUVs and cars also parents smoking. I have also volunteered in schools and some of the children on free lunch are wearing expensive jackets and tenni shoes.I guess people need to have their priorities straight it's called live within your means and don't expect other people to pay your way.