Super Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I have no issue with feeding the kids as yes, they can't learn w/o proper nutrition. I do have a problem with lazy so-called parents doing NOTHING to help their kids at home. I can't tell you the number of parents or guardians that complain we aren't doing enough to help their kids at school all the while they won't even read a 2-page book to them at home.or help at all with any schoolwork. There's only so much teachers can do during the course of the schoolday, and for many that is ALL the learning a kid gets.  Parents take NO responsibility for their kids anymore.

So true!

Super Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

No one wants to see children go hungry but there is too much fraud and abuse in the system.   Too many are getting these subsidies that don't need them costing the rest of society a great deal.  I worked with another dental assistant years ago, yes she was a single mom but was making good money and drove a brand new car.   Every week she would stop at the food kitchen and fill a grocery bag over capacity.  I was mortified and asked her why she did that.  Her response was "because I can"  .  Just sayin.

Exactly.  

It probably wouldn't get approved, but I wish somebody could do a survey to see how many of these free/reduced lunch students carry a "smart" phone and how many have internet and cable TV services at home.  Based on my observations, there are a lot of them, and I wonder if they can afford the monthly bills for their kids to have phones, for their families to have cable & internet, why can't they be expected to feed their kids?

The last time we volunteered for a Toys for Tots Christmas present program, we were surprised by how many people came to pick up their kids' free presents in their new Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus.  

As I pointed out earlier, there is so much waste in these feeding programs.  On a regular school day, you will see an entire dumpster filled up with unopened, untouched food and milk.  We have a backpack program where kids get a bag of food on Fridays for the weekend. Most of them open the bags and give the food to their friends that same afternoon without even taking it home.  Others throw it in a garbage can or locker.  You can tell the counselor what's happening, but students can't be removed from the backpack list because they are free/reduced lunch.  While there are good people out there with good intentions, I have to wonder if they realize how much is being wasted.  It seems they don't care because they cycle continues.

Good points!  I see it all the time-- phones, expensive sneakers and cars, nails/hair done, food purchased and brought to school when they have free breakfast and lunch, family trips, etc.  

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

No one wants to see children go hungry but there is too much fraud and abuse in the system.   Too many are getting these subsidies that don't need them costing the rest of society a great deal.  I worked with another dental assistant years ago, yes she was a single mom but was making good money and drove a brand new car.   Every week she would stop at the food kitchen and fill a grocery bag over capacity.  I was mortified and asked her why she did that.  Her response was "because I can"  .  Just sayin.

Exactly.  

It probably wouldn't get approved, but I wish somebody could do a survey to see how many of these free/reduced lunch students carry a "smart" phone and how many have internet and cable TV services at home.  Based on my observations, there are a lot of them, and I wonder if they can afford the monthly bills for their kids to have phones, for their families to have cable & internet, why can't they be expected to feed their kids?

The last time we volunteered for a Toys for Tots Christmas present program, we were surprised by how many people came to pick up their kids' free presents in their new Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus.  

As I pointed out earlier, there is so much waste in these feeding programs.  On a regular school day, you will see an entire dumpster filled up with unopened, untouched food and milk.  We have a backpack program where kids get a bag of food on Fridays for the weekend. Most of them open the bags and give the food to their friends that same afternoon without even taking it home.  Others throw it in a garbage can or locker.  You can tell the counselor what's happening, but students can't be removed from the backpack list because they are free/reduced lunch.  While there are good people out there with good intentions, I have to wonder if they realize how much is being wasted.  It seems they don't care because they cycle continues.

Regarding your post about Toys for Tots program, there are people here that won't donate to it anymore after seeing parents return the toys day after Christmas to Wal-Mart for money!    ( prob. drug money at that)   I live in an area rife with drug abuse.

Honored Contributor

Before I blow a gasket here I am going out for a walk.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

Exactly.  

@wildcat fan  when it comes to waste there is no bigger culprit than government.  Did you know that when a national guard unit goes to a base for their annual training whatever food is left over goes to the dump even though another group will arriving the same or next day?  I'm not just talking about fresh produce or meat but also cases and cases of canned goods.  The food cannot be saved or donated it has to be dumped.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

Exactly.  

It must be such a burden for you to have to work with these children all day. I am hoping that you are not a teacher.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Yes indeed, the cost of housing doesn't seem to be considered at all here. Where I live it is ridiculously high. Rent is and so are condos and houses. So maybe they should become homeless so that people here won't have to pay for food for their kids?

As for your client well there are many like him. Some aren't, some are paying their employees at this time. But for the most part trickle down is trickle don't. The rich get richer at someone's expense, that's not accomplished in a vacuum.

@Greeneyedlady21,  you are so right about the cost of housing (including not only rent but electric, water and sewer too).  It got so bad in Asheville that special housing projects are now being built for restaurant and hospitality workers, teachers and other service industries just so they can live in the same area where they are employed.  Businesses were losing too many employees because they could not afford to live in the area.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: School Lunches

[ Edited ]

To me this thread, and others that have been similar, is only the beginning of what is to come. In terms of the turning on fellow humans and lashing out during this time of crisis. At least around these forums, sadly I'm aware that it won't be just around these forums.

It's very sad and disappointing, I have other feelings about it that I can't describe here. Have at it I guess, if it makes you happy from the comfort of your own home. For me not being able to get basics like toilet paper and many foods is a lesson in empathy and humility. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

If you judge for worthiness before being generous, you can also expect to be judged with the same leniency for your flaws that you showed others. And you are not perfect.

Begrudging children and poor people food makes you look impossibly small. I don't care what your excuses are. It's small and unworthy and you can be far better than that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I have no problem with lunches...hot or cold for school age children.  I also would be in favor of including lunch for all children at no extra cost to their patients.

The problems I do have is that the children are being served junk.  Some, but not all food is very unhealthy and a lot of it gets trashed.  The kids won't eat it.

The food that comes into the school is of two different Varieties.  The first type is purchased, the second type is government issued.  They must not stored together and are kept seperate in the kitchen pantries.

Pizza that is purchased is usually eaten, but the government pizza has cheese on it that looks and acts like plastic.  The kids pick it off and toss it.  

The same with hamburgers.  The kids won't eat the government patties because there is gristle or something hard in it.

Why are we feeding children this slop?  Very little is homemade. Most is processed food.  The cook at the school where I volunteer is a really good cook.  She uses all of the left over veggies and meats to make a hearty soup, but she cannot serve it to the kids.  It is available for purchase by the teachers and staff only.  The kids get canned soup. 

Another issue I have is that the school district makes money on their lunch program.  Every year they publish their financial stats.  It is clearly noted that this is a money maker for the district.  Why?

Children who are eligible for free lunches must take a whole lunch.  Sometimes they bring a bagged lunch from home, but there is no drink.  So, they get a whole lunch, remove the milk and toss the rest into the trash.

School lunches should be better and include more wholesome foods.  Just because they serve raw veggies and fruit and have no salt shakers in sight does not make them healthy.

It is quite shocking to see all of the milk and food that is tossed every day uneaten and untouched.  It's not enough to offer hot lunches for kids if most of it is not eaten.

The whole program needs a big overhaul.

And while I am ranting, some parents need to get their butts out of bed and feed their kids.  many kids get themselves do go school by themselves.

We have two afternoon kindergarten students who get out of bed and come to school having no breakfast and no lunch with dirty faces.

They both get lunch at school because they are hungry...their older siblings get free lunch, so they are eligible too even though K kids do not get lunch at school.  I supposed their mothers sleep all day.

I'll bet they don't eat on weekends or when school isn't in session.