Honored Contributor

Re: Scent Boosters now sold to put in the wash

Sometimes older folks have less ability to gauge how much scent they have applied.

Perfume should be spritzed into the air in front of you while you step into the mist anyway.

Spraying it all over your body will guarantee too much being used.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Sometimes older folks have less ability to gauge how much scent they have applied.

Perfume should be spritzed into the air in front of you while you step into the mist anyway.

Have to say that I would far rather smell perfume or cologne on someone rather than that laundry carp!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

I don't see the point in all these extra scents especially laundry ones and wouldn't waste money to add something unnecessary to my laundry.  What is the point in laundry smelling like some flower or herb or other fake scent?  Many people have issues sleeping and I suspect for some it is because they are sleeping on scented sheets in a scented house.  I don't use scented products - no candles, no laundry scents of any kind, no air fresheners, no perfume etc.  I am allergic to some scents and am especially bothered when there are multiple scents in the same vicinity.  

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Have to say that I would far rather smell perfume or cologne on someone rather than that laundry carp!

@Jacie  I  don't mind perfume or cologne as long as the person hasn't drawn a bath in it.  LOL

Olderpeople do lose a sense of smell, though, so they may not think that they have enough on.

We walked by a not-to-be-name brand store in an outdoor mall last week and the smell of some not-to-be-named male cologne wafted out so strongly that DH"s eyes watered.

I really don't pick up on laundry scents even though I tend to use Nellie's or some other non-scented laundry detergent but then again I don't sniff people, either.LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

You're probably right.  I don't use them, I don't the point.  But people buy what they see on tv; so, untill/if there are health concerns, people will use them and we'll see more and more of them on the store shelves.

Valued Contributor

I love the Gain Flings and use it for my towels and sheets. I don't for clothing as I don't want it interfer with my perfume.

Trusted Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Actually, it's when babies are exposed to the things in the environment that causes them to build a healthy immune system.

It's when they are in sterile enviroments that allergies develop.

You are correct, Plaid Pants2!  

Respected Contributor

Scent boosters have been around for a few years now.  I believe the first I saw was from Purex.  I don't find them nearly as bad as those ladies and gentlemen who put enough fragrence on to kill a horse!  Thank goodness many dental and doctor offices have signs up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Jk9 wrote:

My idea of a laundry scent booster is to hang my bras, panties, pj's, jeans, leggings,etc on my old hangaways to dry in the sunshine. Yes clothes are a bit stiffer drying that way since I do not use frabric softener in my washer, but it is worth that to me to get that natural fresh smell....and I do live out in the country. So that is a perk for being a good drive away from stores and conveniences as well as from people that might object to seeing my intimates drying outside

Sunshine is a well-known antibacterial. UV rays kill the things that cause bo.

I LOVED the way our clothes and bedding smelled as a kid when my mother hung the laundry outside to dry.  Better than any unnatural chemical ****** people put in the washer and dryer.

I like natural scents.  No one can tell me that the chemical junk is just as healthy or smells as good.

@QueenDanceALot  I totally agree.  I recently switched to Dr. Bronners Sans Suds.  It only takes one tablespoon per load (I have a top load) and the clothes are clean and fresh, but there is no scent.  I feel like it is better all around.......no harsh chemicals or build up on our laundry.  I gave up the fabric softener long ago.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

While I  understand the dislike of strongly-scented detergents, and I do not use these myself, please, for crying out loud, stop talking about how dangerous they are or harmful and toxic these re because you do NOTS know this for a fact.  You simply feel this way.

This is a sympton of how scientifically-illiterate our society has become.  Just because you feel something does not make it true.  Unless you have some study to back it up, it is just idle speculation.

My post was above yours and wasn't sure if you were referring to me, so....

I believe there have been health concerns about baby powder. 

When my children were babies it was more about them breathing it in.

Since then, there have been several multi million dollar suits settled by J&J, it seems women had been using it

thinking they were causing themselves no harm.

And do you remember when the shelves were filled with colored toilet paper?  Every shade under the sun.  That was a bad idea and now you only see white--which had been recommended for females all along.

Same for feminine products down the next isle.  Not a good thing.

Same for children's bubble baths, not recommended for little girls.

Too much junk added, too much suds, scent, color.

Now if you want to spritz, spray, slather, and lather seventeen different lotions and potions--that is fine by me!  Go for it, whatever makes you happy, makes you feel good, makes you smell how you want to smell!

It's a personal choice.