Trusted Contributor

Re: Scary statistic about aging and where there's help

On 10/19/2014 Qwackertoo said:

We've been extremely fortunate with the care of my Father and that he is still in his own home. My Mother died before him, ovarian cancer, always thought he'd be the first to go based on family history and lifestyle . . . he smoked for many years.

For a couple of years, my brothers son and at one time two of them, were living with him and attending college. Then one moved out and got married. Then the other moved out. Now the married one returned with his wife and finished his last year of college and they are still there, been there one year as of July, and have paid off her student loans and now working on his and building their savings account.

Win-Win for everybody. They can save some money for down payment on a house and pay off those student loans . . . and he isn't alone 24x7.

He goes out of town for the weekend every once in awhile to visit his brother or a weekend getaway to their Spring and Fall big fishing trips . . . they do getaways too . . . so they all have some away and private time too.

That's lovely it's worked out so well for your brother and his son(s).

Super Contributor

All I can say is if you have joint replacement in your future, do not put it off for later. I have done both knees and one hip... with one hip to go. I wanted to do it now when I am very healthy so my recovery is better being younger(58). Some people wait until their late 60's and into their 70's when your recovery is so much harder to come back from such major surgery. IF YOU KNOW YOU NEED IT DONE, do not put it off. Having the ability to exercise now and walk, hike and such will keep you healthy. If you go into the aging years with joints that do not allow you to move and walk etc, you will die so much sooner. Movement is life!

Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 chrystaltree said: That percentage sounds very high. But I'm not terribly concerned with something that might happen 30 years from now. One reason why we have decided to work until we are 70 or even 72 God willing, is to prepare for our TRUE old age. Work, save, secure investments. I know some people retire the very second they are eligible, 62 or even in their 50s if they work for the city or the state. They never consider that their retirement check will not keep pace with the cost of living. They never consider that they will need more money the older they get. Early retirement is disaster waiting to happen for many. We are relatively young, 54, but we've been saving for a secure and comfortable, independent old age since we finished paying college tuition for our girls and we will continue to do so. Depending on strangers burdening our children is not an option. Not for us.

Not all jobs are such that you can continue to do them until you are in your 70s. Some jobs are on your feet all day or require difficult physical labor. Sometimes jobs can't be done anymore once a person starts to lose their eyesight or hearing. All sorts of reasons. Not everyone sits at a desk all day.

Super Contributor

What will happen to the poorest of the poor? It's very glib to say that everyone should be saving for retirement. Many live hand to mouth - what happens to them??

Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 Cakers1 said:

What will happen to the poorest of the poor? It's very glib to say that everyone should be saving for retirement. Many live hand to mouth - what happens to them??

With the attitude toward the poor and lower middle class today, methinks no one cares. It's their own fault that they're poor is the going attitude, and they are going to be further vilified when they old and a "drag on society."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

That percentage does not sound high.

Some think they will be able to work until much later in life but unfortunately because there are so many unpredictable events that happen it's very difficult to do.

I also read about co-ops for seniors.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

On 10/19/2014 Ford1224 said:

With the attitude toward the poor and lower middle class today, methinks no one cares. It's their own fault that they're poor is the going attitude, and they are going to be further vilified when they old and a "drag on society."

Ford: Unfortunately this will be the scenario.

Respected Contributor

The Newshour did a report on The Village network about a year ago. If you go to their website, you can find out if there's one formed near you. I think it's a great idea.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/19/2014 happy housewife said:
On 10/19/2014 chrystaltree said: That percentage sounds very high. But I'm not terribly concerned with something that might happen 30 years from now. One reason why we have decided to work until we are 70 or even 72 God willing, is to prepare for our TRUE old age. Work, save, secure investments. I know some people retire the very second they are eligible, 62 or even in their 50s if they work for the city or the state. They never consider that their retirement check will not keep pace with the cost of living. They never consider that they will need more money the older they get. Early retirement is disaster waiting to happen for many. We are relatively young, 54, but we've been saving for a secure and comfortable, independent old age since we finished paying college tuition for our girls and we will continue to do so. Depending on strangers burdening our children is not an option. Not for us.

Not all jobs are such that you can continue to do them until you are in your 70s. Some jobs are on your feet all day or require difficult physical labor. Sometimes jobs can't be done anymore once a person starts to lose their eyesight or hearing. All sorts of reasons. Not everyone sits at a desk all day.

My neighbor at age 74 is still working 25-30 hours per week.

He "retired" from a job that was physically demanding at age 55. He said he took the first opportunity he could to retire. But 20 yrs later that retirement check has shrunk considerably. So he was fortunate to land a less demanding job.

No idea how long he intends to do this. His health isn't the best.

Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 Ford1224 said:

Actually - almost everyone at any given nursing home is on medicaid or goes onto it shortly after they go in the home. So people who are middle class or people who are poor all end up the same. On medicaid in a nursing home.