Respected Contributor

I am an almost life time resident of Chicago and surrounding suburbs.

Today is some of the scariest cold weather I have ever been through. Last night I was at the salon, and the temperature was -3 degrees. Today, the temperature is about 7 degrees, but the wind is blowing so hard.

Had to take my daughter to work this morning, and the wind is blowing so strongly out of the west. Flags were straight out, snow is blowing, and the wind was blowing my car. I literally had to steer it from the wind.

My poor daughter works in a fast food restaurant, and a lot of the time is in the drive thru area. Her hands are so cold and sometimes numb from this weather. Wearing gloves is impractical.

It's scary cold!!!!!!!!!!!

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

We lost power last night.

Respected Contributor
On 1/24/2014 Cakers1 said:

That can be a nightmare!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I hope you had the means to stay warm if your heating system is dependent on electricity! Fireplace?

Honored Contributor

This winter has been extremely hard for many people. I'm hearing about propane shortages in some states. This could be detrimental for some businesses as well as thousands of people.

Super Contributor
On 1/24/2014 kdgn said:

We lost power last night.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

I hope you had the means to stay warm if your heating system is dependent on electricity! Fireplace?

kdgn: We do have a fireplace but do not use it. The power is still out in places throughout the city. This is south Texas so the folks here are not used to such cold weather. Between the ice and the surge in usage, it was bound to happen. It went out around 9:30 and I finally fell asleep after 3 hours. I'm not sure when it came back.

It wasn't too bad - we could have gone to DS's house - he's not far away but the roads were bad. Just layered some clothes, and wrapped up like a mummy in a blanket. lol

hyacinth: Your poor daughter! Can she at least wear a glove to hand out the food/take the $$? I hope they would at least provide a little space heater for her hands.

We survived it; we don't have little ones; the family downstairs did leave, though.

Honored Contributor

It's just been too many days of these frigid temps. Our power was flickering on and off - not enough for the generator to kick in though.

I did hear about a horrific accident last night in Michigan City, Indiana. There were people pinned in their cars and there was a danger of hypothermia.

Trusted Contributor

Today is the 4th day this month that school has been cancelled in my area due to extremely cold weather (no new snow today either). We live in SE Michigan, and I am already sick of winter! Everyone's got cabin fever because it's so darn cold! Calgon, take me away!!

Stay safe, everyone!

Respected Contributor

The problem with gloves is that they also have to get some food and drinks, so gloves are impractical. They said she could use fingerless gloves, but she says they don't work.

Where the drive thru is on the building faces west, which is where the wind is blowing from today.

Everyone - be kind to drive thru employees in the cold!

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

hyacinth: The wind/temps are just too brutal for that! I hope she has a short shift.