Honored Contributor

Re: Scary What You Can Find Out About A Person!

@Mj12 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

You can easily find out all kinds of information online now. 

That's why I'm shocked when people slowly give out little bits of personal information here.  There was a thread not too long ago about your hair style when you were in high school.   People were giving out their year of graduation and even named the high school they went to. 

If you have the town they live in, where they grew up, when they graduated, etc, you can quickly figure out who they are. 

People can be so naive...

@Bri36 ITA.  A few posters here basically draw a map to their houses.  SMH.

And then complain or report to the mods if another poster says anything about it, as if you're the one who has revealed some big secret information.  Woman LOL 

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

That's why I'm shocked when people slowly give out little bits of personal information here.  There was a thread not too long ago about your hair style when you were in high school.   People were giving out their year of graduation and even named the high school they went to. 

If you have the town they live in, where they grew up, when they graduated, etc, you can quickly figure out who they are. 

@Mj12

...or their camper

Respected Contributor

If you really want to get freaked out go to google earth and check out your home from overhead and zoom in....I could see the magazines on my deck! Then do the drive down your street feature....I could see in my front window! So this means I (and the rest of the world) can see in  your's too. HI! Thanks google earth for being the best peeping toms ever!

Honored Contributor

Googling your nic can pull stuff up about you from these boards as well.  Just not as personal infor. but still out there for people who have never even heard of the Q. boards.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

There is a cetain store talked about here that I had never heard of.  They were finally opening one in my town, and the next time it was discussed I mentioned I was getting one in my town  in October - or whenever it was.  Out of curiosity I looked to see how many stores were opening that year, and it was just the one.  So I told everyone what town I lived in lol.  It was no big deal, but we post things like that all the time giving out little pieces at a time.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

If you really want to get freaked out go to google earth and check out your home from overhead and zoom in....I could see the magazines on my deck! Then do the drive down your street feature....I could see in my front window! So this means I (and the rest of the world) can see in  your's too. HI! Thanks google earth for being the best peeping toms ever!

not just google street view or google earth......even apple is stepping up their game. have you seen these in your neighborhood or on the streets? i have.....

apple truck.jpg

In addition to the small, white GPS antenna on top there are three wide-angle cameras in the center, two pointed at 45 degree angles toward the street level and one pointed up at the rooftops. Assume this triad is duplicated on the opposite side of the truck. There’s also a camera in the front and one on the back. That’s a clear sign that Apple is collecting street-level imagery, which could be used to build street view into Apple Maps.

But the cameras aren't the most interesting hardware. You see all those silver cylinders? Those are Velodyne LIDAR sensors. LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) is sophisticated 3D depth-sensing technology known mostly as one of the sensor techs in self-driving cars. Bouncing infrared light off objects can tell you the exact distance of the car in front of you, but also the distance to the bumper, windshield and roof. For a building, you get geo- and image-synced data on the distance to the curb, the front of the building, and the storefront sign jutting out above it. It’s a 3D map of your environment.

(via mashable)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

So true. That's why I don't name my city or state. Just the general geographic area. My identity has been questioned here and I'm not giving the wackos anything to hone in on.

Honored Contributor

Why is it that google earth or street can show you everything in great detail, yet every 'have you seen this man who commited this crime...' is a big blurry mess?

Honored Contributor

Google maps isn't always accurate, it shows a house a few doors down from me as my home.

When we changed companies for our termite bond, it seems they went by the home shown on Google maps when they gave us our estimate.

Problem was (for them) that home shown is on a slab foundation, where ours is off ground and should have cost more.

When they came out and actually saw our home, one guy said to the other, "The sales people have got to stop relying on Google maps!"

But they were bound by the estimate which we had already accepted.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

So I couldn't find my niece's address to send her a birthday card.

I typed in her name, city and state and so many people with her name, address, etc came up.  It even told me the VIN number of her car, the kind of car, etc.  It was crazy and it was all free!

Also listed was her party affiliate and on and on (some told how much money people had donated).  I've never seen anything like it.

I was curious so I googled my name.  My saving grace is that there are a lot of people with my first and last name.  They even have pictures of them (none of me, thank goodness).  There are Caucasians, African American and so on, people with my name.  It was mind boggling and crazy.  

Nothing is personal anymore!

It doesn't surprise me.

It's all public record.