Honored Contributor

Re: Scary What You Can Find Out About A Person!

@Bri36 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

You can easily find out all kinds of information online now. 

That's why I'm shocked when people slowly give out little bits of personal information here.  There was a thread not too long ago about your hair style when you were in high school.   People were giving out their year of graduation and even named the high school they went to. 

If you have the town they live in, where they grew up, when they graduated, etc, you can quickly figure out who they are. 

People can be so naive...

@Bri36 ITA.  A few posters here basically draw a map to their houses.  SMH.

@Mj12

...or their camper

@Bri36

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Posters give out their first names, what their job title is, what company they work for, and where they live.  It isn't a major stretch to find out just who those posters are-you cannot give out so much info then cry that people are stalking you. 

If you say "I live *here* and work for a major specialty company such as a hospital or college, e.g., and give out what you do and your title-the anonymity is going out the window.

There are some threads that have me actually smh when people respond-as the high school thread that was mentioned earlier.

Remember too that we certainly have non-members reading here;  who knows what type of basement dweller that could be??

And my first name is Cakers but you can call me Betty and I will call you Al.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

As I said, everything is public knowledge, and we do live in the information age, so I refuse to live in paranoia about what some "lurker" might do.

The thing to be concerned about is the dark web.

Honored Contributor

It isn't a matter of being "paranoid" it is a matter of giving out so much info then whining that somebody found out who you are in RL.

I agree that nothing out in the great internet is private anymore; but as far as THIS community if you want privacy then don't tell us your whole life then wonder why you are now known in RL.

It isn't being paranoid to protect your private info as much as you can; it's common sense to prevent identity theft out there.  You don't need the "dark net" to do that, either.

Being smart about your life isn't being paranoid; it's common sense.

A whole different world out there today. 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

You're lucky that there's a lot of people with your first and last name.

There is not one other person with my first and last name anywhere.  I've searched.

So I can't hide amongst them.

I google my name, it shows my home address, I get a picture of my house and my cars in the driveway..  So much for an unlisted phone number.

@Scooby Doo

i dont know where you live, but in our state, i can easily find out information about a property.......it is part of public records. i can see whose name is on a home and how much they pay in property taxes......and of course the homes are on google street view. you can see when a home has been sold and the history of the sale prices.

Yep, I'm in VA and the last 3 counties I've lived place all the information regarding your home - square footage, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, type heat, etc. along with all owners of your home and each time it was sold and how much one paid for it. 

Honored Contributor

I can't even get a telephone number for free anymore. 

Honored Contributor

If you have an unusual last name this is a big problem.  If you have a common name they would have to weigh through many people to find info on a specific person.  

Honored Contributor

I don't show up anywhere, do I exist?

Honored Contributor

I show up, but I have a common enough name that it'd be pretty difficult to pull "me" out of the list of names - multiples of me in the same geographic region/town, too.

But as far as the online world, no one on any social media or website I've ever been on knows my name, except FB - and those on FB know where I live and who I am anyway.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I don't show up anywhere, do I exist?

@deepwaterdotter  Only here.   We have better cookies here than out there so it's all good.  Woman Tongue