Respected Contributor

Re: Scary Momo Challenge Targets Kids

I read it's a hoax.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Major hoax.....

Honored Contributor

Whether it’s a hoax or not...it’s still an important

reminder there’s lots of nefarious activity on the Internet. 

I believe that’s something everyone can agree upon. 

Esteemed Contributor

Someone shared this little innocent cartoon on fb, and in the middle of it, here came that momo challenge scary looking person.

Like many of you have said parents need to be seeing what the kids are looking at. But, the parents of young kids I know are busy looking at their own social media and I don't think keep a good eye on what the kids are looking at.

My question is, what sick people come up with the junk anyhow? What is wrong with people?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom   Yes, hoax or not, it is important that parents scrutinize what their children are up to.  My three grandsons are still not in primary grades, but I know my daughter and son-in-law will be vigilant.

The oldest grandson--five--is just now allowed to watch a tad more television--probably an hour (tops) and an on-demand tv movie is saved as a special treat.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@sidsmom   Yes, hoax or not, it is important that parents scrutinize what their children are up to.  My three grandsons are still not in primary grades, but I know my daughter and son-in-law will be vigilant.

The oldest grandson--five--is just now allowed to watch a tad more television--probably an hour (tops) and an on-demand tv movie is saved as a special treat.

@aroc3435 

Oooof! 3 boys under the age of 5.

Someone’s got their hands full!

Youre a good nana to be aware of all the current news to share 

with daughter & SIL. 

Valued Contributor

I read The Atlantic article about the Momo phenomenon.  Personally, I think they treated the subject matter poorly.  They likened the concern parents give to Momo today to the parents of yesteryear freaking out over the teens playing The Beatles records backwards.    

Here's the thing, whatever is true about Momo specifically, whether it is true or a hoax, young children are at risk when they watch YouTube.  

There is a TED talk from James Bridle which goes into detail about the algorithms that govern which video is played after the initial video that is selected.  There is a dark and sinister corner of YouTube which parents should know about.

If Momo brings attention to that, so much the better.  

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Ok. But I prefer my vigilance to come from actual threats, not made up ones.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

I never thought I would say this, but way to go Kim K! Use your influence (such as it is) for something other than self promotion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Ok. But I prefer my vigilance to come from actual threats, not made up ones.

Well ok then.

You can be in charge of reporting that.

There. Fixed it.